What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Here is something you don't see very often in an RV-9

N941WR

Legacy Member
I just finished match drilling the support for my throttle quadrant.

The installation was very easy and I owe a big THANKS to Roberta for sending me pictures of her installation even though I installed mine differently than she did.

Last edited:
Check Aircraft Spruce

Aircraft Spruces has a line of RV Throttle Quadrants.

The two lever quadrant is $141.95 and the three lever unit is $183.95.

The installation was easy, very easy. Of course my plane isn't flying yet so...

I suspect I will leave it open down below the panel just to give you the look of more room.

Roberta told me to order the cables the same length as the standard cables but to order the ends, I have the part numbers at home and can post later. I suspect they are the same part numbers that are used on the -8's.

BTW, there are a few more pictures on the panel section of my web site.

Last edited:
Looks awesome. I'm planing on doing a 3-Quadrent in the middle of my -7 with a interconnected throttle on the pilot side wall, just in case I want to fly in fighter-style. (Throttle left, stick right) Of course the other catch to this is I'll have to have an ambidextrous stick grip :).

OSXUSER,

I had thought about doing both a left and center throttle quadrant by interconnecting them via nested torque tubes tucked under the instrument panel. The limited space on the left and amount of time it would take convinced me to simply go with the center throttle.

If you do install both, please post pictures, as I would like to see how you would do it.

If I may ask, what are the correct cable lengths required for the -7 (I assume same as 9)? Power is IO-360.

Thanks,
Scott

Looks Great, Bill!! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Roberta

Cable lengths will be the same as if you were using the Vernier style. Van's has the cables and the clevices for the quadrants. If you are doing a FWF kit from Van's, they will substitute the quadrant cables for the Verniers.

Last edited:
Do you have any pics of your install, Roberta? I just installed the subpanel from Affordable Panels so I'm thinking on how I could still use the quadrant and the subpanel.

Thanks,
Scott

img_7005.jpg

I used two pieces of 1/2" AL tube spaced the width of the quadrant and the ends bolted to the bottom of the panel and subpanel. A piece of AL angle was attached to the bottom of the tubes and drilled to mount the cables. O also made a small trim piece from AL angle to cover the ends of the tubes. It is very difficult to photo this now that everything is in. Hope this helps.

Roberta

throttle8bf.jpg

Scott Will said:
Do you have any pics of your install, Roberta? I just installed the subpanel from Affordable Panels so I'm thinking on how I could still use the quadrant and the subpanel.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

No worries. I too am installing the AP subpanel. I will cut it in 1/2 and take out a 2" section so it will fit on either side of the throttle quadrant.

It is not too late to convert your panel.

Bill the TQ drug pusher.

Last edited:
Panel

Has anyone considered or put in panels in the cowl in front of the windscreen for access to the front of the instrument panel? I looks like it would not be to hard to do and would give exelent access to the underside and front of the panel. I haven't done this yet and was wondering if it has been done and was it as handy as it looks like it would be.
Thanks
Harvey L.

RV 9A QB

Harvey,

I put the access panels in to make it easy to rivet the forward top skin in place. You can see my first page about it at this URL: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a095.htm

I found the access hatches valuable when I was putting in the wiring and the electronics behind the panel. I have not opened them since the airplane was painted. You can see just about everything about my project on my web site in the 160+ pages. The first flight was on June 9, 2005 with the 40 hours of Phase 1 completed on July 2nd. I went to Oshkosh on July 24th and flew over to NJ and New England after that before returning home on July 31.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
www.n2prise.org

Back