What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Iridite NCP...

Iridite NCP question bump

Looking on the internet this looks like a better solution. I hate the idea of dealing with chromates. I did a search on VAF and all that came up was this post from 2008 with no responses. So in the past two or three years has anyone used this? Does anyone know why this is not a good solution? Any plating experts? Is it the same stuff as the Alodine 1132 Touch-N-Prep pen? I like the pen but not too practical. Also does anyone know where to get Iridite NCP?

Thanks,

Bill Finnell
RV-8 Wings (fuselage on order)
Tucson AZ

Iriditing..

I can't comment specifically on the MacDermid chemistry, but I sell metal finishing power supplies for a living, have done so since 1988, and am familiar with many metal finishing processes.

The power supply cabinets on one of our product lines are made from powder coated aluminum (don't know the alloy). Our engineering department specifies iriditing (sp) to our vendor before powder coating. I spoke to Engineering one time about why we added that process, and they said it significantly increases the adhesion of the powder coated surface to the aluminum substrate.

How that would apply to sprayed on coatings, or clad aluminum, I can't say....

One of my good friends and customers is a MacDermid distributor, and I'd be glad to get whatever information I can, just tell me what you want to know.

Hope this helps a bit. Maybe I have a chance to contribute something to VAF, instead of just learning from others....

Chris

Iridite NCP reply...

Chris,

Thank you for the offer! Currently I am using Alumiprep to clean the parts. Then I use Alodine 1201 for a conversion coating. Then I apply AKZO epoxy primer. I guess what I want to know is; will Iridite NCP work in place of the Alodine? Is Iridite NCP commercially available in small quantities (enough to do a plane). How much does it cost? And where can I get it?

Thank you in advance,

Bill Finnell
RV-8 Wings (fuselage on order)
Tucson AZ

Iridite NCP info

From my MacDermid distributor friend:

Iridite NCP is a non-chrome alternative to alodine.
The minimum size he has available is 5 gallon containers
Price is $52.69 per gallon ($263.45 per container)
Mix 5% NCP with 95% water
At that concentration usage is 1 ml / sq ft.
1 gal = 3785 ml > 1 gal covers 3,785 sq ft
5 gal container covers 18,925 sq ft
Info sheet here: www.cmsdreams.com/10544 IRIDITE NCP TDS.pdf
Purchase contact info:
John Franzosa
Allied Plating Supplies
5000 East 10th Court
Hialeah, FL 33013
(305) 681-8531
[email protected]

Hope this helps.

Chris

I'm using Iridite from Pegasus auto racing that comes in a powder form. It comes in a 5lb container and is mixed with water. I make it 5 gallons at a time and I think it will make close to 50 gallons , enough to get through your whole project. I not sure if it is NCP but it was only around 90 bucks. The site is http://pegasusautoracing.com

Iridite

I'm using Iridite from Pegasus auto racing that comes in a powder form. It comes in a 5lb container and is mixed with water. I make it 5 gallons at a time and I think it will make close to 50 gallons , enough to get through your whole project. I not sure if it is NCP but it was only around 90 bucks. The site is http://pegasusautoracing.com

The Iridite from Pegaus is Iridite 14-2, which contains chrome (trivalent, I believe). The Iridite NCP does not contain chrome. Hence the much higher price as it costs more to produce a compound that has the corrosion resistant capabilities of a chromate conversion chemistry, but without the chrome...

Chris

Still dangerous

The method of protection of NCP uses Fluoride vs Chromate. Chromate, especially Cr6+ has been proven to have nasty side effects. While Fluoride ions are NOT heavy metals and thus allows them to advertise as "no chrome or other hazardous heavy metals", you may want to read an MSDS sheet and search the internet about Fluorosis and what it can do to you...really BAD for your bones and irreversible.

The method of protection of NCP uses Fluoride vs Chromate. Chromate, especially Cr6+ has been proven to have nasty side effects. While Fluoride ions are NOT heavy metals and thus allows them to advertise as "no chrome or other hazardous heavy metals", you may want to read an MSDS sheet and search the internet about Fluorosis and what it can do to you...really BAD for your bones and irreversible.

As a Metallurgist & Chemical Engineer who has worked on aerospace coating development projects I would MUCH rather deal with chromates than with Fluoride.

Chromates can be nasty, but they require long term, repeated exposure. Much of the hype about them is just that, hype. I have had my clothing soaked by chromic acid plating solution, had plating solution splashed into my mouth, had open sores get solution in them - I am not only still here but have never had any effects of heavy metal toxicity. No, I wouldn't recommend playing with them but the reality is very far from the boogie-man that hex chrome has been made out to be.

We had painters who regularly got blood tests because they were always sanding on primed cadmium plating that had a chromate conversion coating (and the primer had chromate, too). Invariably, if their heavy metal levels got too high it was the cadmium that forced them to retire from painting and find another occupation (usually became inspectors with all of those years of experience) not the chrome.

Now fluoride, especially in an acidic solution, THAT scares the jeepers out of me. I had to work with those solutions at my plating gig, too, but I was VERY, VERY, VERY careful with them. Sulfuric/Hydrofluoric Acid activating baths were used on both the chrome and nickel plating lines. We RESPECTED those tanks and the horrors they contained.

Heck, we had (alkaline) cyanide solutions, too. No big deal there provided that you didn't wear gold jewelry while on that line and NEVER put acid into the bath. The klaxons for the cyanide gas detection system were loud enough to wake the dead.

As to protecting aluminum from corrosion without using chromates, there are a lot of ways to skin that cat. But that's for another topic.

Back