What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft deck installation warning

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
You know, I try to be careful in the construction of this thing and I STILL screw up on occasion. If there's one thing that frustrates me no end, it's when I'm careful, and still screw up.

The prolbem is when I installed the aft deck according to Van's instructions, I was so concerned about making sure things are level and making sure there was no twist (as emphasized in the instructions), I wasn't careful enough about making sure the aft deck was even on both sides along the entire length of the longeron (of which nothing is mentioned in the instructions.)

I ended up with no twist. I ended up perfectly level. The problem is I didn't realize that I didn't perfectly center the aft deck. I ended having the left edge 7/32s from the edge of the longeron on one side, and about 3/32" on the other side.

I ran into an edge distance problem on the forward holes, but there's not much I can do about it now.

But this is where it has come home to roost.

Van's has you fit the aft deck with no fitting with the bulkhead and no fitting with the rear aft skin. The problem is: there's a direct relationship between the rear aft skin, the 710 bulkhead AND the aft deck.
We're not really advised of this relationship in the instructions, although closer inspection of the plans would have revealed it. But I was so concerned about the lack of twist, I didn't think it through.

Ideally, what should happen here -- I think -- is Van's should have you put the stringers in place, install the rear aft skin, the 710 bulkhead, and cleco it to the aft deck, and THEN clamp the aft deck to the bulkheads, level it, and check for twist. And THEN drill.

Either that or don't provide the pre-punched the holes for the 710 to aft deck connection.

Because otherwise, if you're off 1/32 in the aft deck, you're going to be off 1/32 with those pre-punched holes.

Problem is, believe it or not, I'm off 3/32.

I don't see how this is fixable by just drilling holes here so I think I have a couple of options.

But I think the easiest thing is to just cut out some aluminum and make a doubler to be installed on the forward side of the 710, then drill the holes using the aft deck as a pilot.

For those of you who have not yet done this fitting, the distance between the edge of the deburred aft deck and the edge of the longeron, is 3/16s all along the deck on both sides ... 5/32s measured to the side skin.

This isn't on the plans anywhere as near as I can see and you can save yourself this sort of hassle by adding this measurement to the Van's instructions on installing the aft deck.

Bob
St. Paul

Back