What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Fuel "Stick"

N63TX

I'm New Here
The fuel level sending units on my 1991 vintage RV-6A do not work well anymore. I could spend a lot of time fixing them. In the meantime, I'd like to check the fuel levels directing using a "tube" like aircraft spruce sells.

"These Direct Fuel Level Indicators are quality made of acrylic PVC tube with an aluminum scale. They are available calibrated to individual tanks or uncalibrated for custom calibration to home built tanks. These Indicators allow an accurate check of on board fuel level indicators and eliminate the guess work"

Has anyone gone through the calibration process for an RV-6A and is willing to share the scale. I realize my tanks may be slightly different but this would be better than the guages.

Thanks

Fuel stick

I have the clear or "universal" fuel gage. It has markings engraved on the length of the tube. I have a "6" so when I started to "calabrate" the tube I got very little fuel in the tube when the tanks were less than full. If I had less than 10 gal in the tank, I could not draw any fuel into the tube. IF I raised the tail to a flying position everything changed. I could draw fuel to a level of 7 gal. left. To make a long story short, I don't think it's worth the money. ($6.95) .
I have since setteled on filling my tanks and timing a flight and planing on 8.5 gal/hr. ( old 0320-160) than when I refuel I do the math and check against the panel gage. Get a nice warm feeling that I have enough. Works out to be better than the universal gage. Hope I helped alittle.
Rich
RV-6 721ET

When I completed my -6 in 1993 I installed a fuel flow/totalizer more or less as a conversation piece. After getting used to it, I wouldn't have an airplane without it. I now know how much fuel I have within 1 gallon. The only way it would not be accurate is to have a leak. Then the standard fuel gauges come into play.
Mel...DAR

I read an article recently in Kitpale Mag on how to fab and cal your own. I can look at what issue it was in tonight if you would like.

Cheap wood dowel

You can get a piece of wood and make marks on it. Before you fill your tank, dip the stick in, note fuel level, fill tank, note fuel added and subtract from the tanks usable capacity. This gives you the usable level. Repeat for different levels. You can estimate various gallons from just a few low, high mid marks. Remember the scale is not linear.

My plan (as mentioned above), fill tanks (always) and time tanks to a generous 1-hour reserve (using a known fuel burn). However for those who limit fuel for aerobatics or gross weight considerations a dip-stick can be handy. With enough practice you can tell how much fuel you have by just looking at it. Of course fuel gages in RV's are a little better than an old Cessna (The FAR regulation says fuel gages need only be accurate at empty). With capacitance senders with custom scaled linear readings and fuel flow totalizer's we have more sophistication in fuel level measurement than in the past. However "TIME IN YOUR TANK" is still the best way and primary way I still use, even with my gee-whiz stuff, it is still only a back-up to my tank timing.

As far as dip-sticking, I don't find much use for it. We just don't carry that much fuel, so I always fill up. If you are a little low on fuel fill-er-up. Build your plane light so you can cary full payload and fuel.

George

Last edited:
George is correct; the FARs state that the fuel gauge must be accurate when the tank is empty. Therefore the audible fuel gauge on my 1941 Farmall tractor qualifies. When that noise up front stops, the tank is empty! Only problem with the audible gauge is it is not linear. Everything is fine until you get to the fartherest point from the hangar, then the noise stops. Been there, done that.
Mel...DAR

If you ever want to fly with less than full tanks (hot humid days) I made a removable tab that drops into the filler neck. When the tank is filled to my "tab" I have about 1/2 hour less fuel (5 gal) in each tank at full throttle. If I had been a bit smarter I would have built in tabs during construction much like Pipers have. A tab built into the tank will keep a careless lineman from denting the bottom of your fuel tank.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. All useful info.
What I have been doing is always top off, and then time both tank switching and useage using a clock/timer. Eventually I may have a fuel flow guage & totalizer.

Back