What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing the tail stobe/position light

tstates

Just a question for the guys who have installed the tail strobe kit from Vans. The lead that comes off the light is fairly short, so I would assume that it would be wise to run the main wire a little long, so that the light unit could be pulled out the back if it needed service, is this what guys are doing? Also, where are you supposed to run the wire? I needs to penetrate the bottom tip fairing and I assume you need to drill a hole in the aft bulkhead somwhere. I did not see any directions in the Vans tail kit about this. Any help would be great.
Thane

Tail position/strobe

I cut a 'keyhole' shape in the bottom & leading edge of the rudder. This allowed me to thread a connectorized cable through to the light fixture on the trailing edge. (It also serves as a drain hole).

I passed the wiring through the aft bulkhead/tie down assembly by enlarging the gap formed by the fuselage skin and the bulkhead, right at the bottom.

I glued in some polyethylene tubing as a bushing, and passed my wires through this point.

If this is not clear, I'll post some photos.

Vern Little RV-9A

That sounds like it make sense. I guess that Vans does not expand on the whole light process, because they dont have that many people useing them, who knows. I will charge on and get er done. Thanks for the info.

Thane

Back