What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SPOT Problems In The Field

Geico266

Well Known Member
I just got off the phone with "SPOT Customer Care" concerning my SPOT. It would not send out the e-mails I put into my account. Seems SPOT and AOL (America On Line) are not getting along and AOL has blocked e-mails coming from SPOT. They have no idea how long it will take to fix. Nice.

Even messages are not getting through to the SPOT system. I tried to send 5 "Check Ins" (from a stationary place, in the open, not inside a vehicle) messages today zero of which made it through. That is 100% failure rate.

This is supposed to be a devise you rely on to save your life?

http://www.findmespot.com/home.aspx

Anyone else having problems or am I the only one to get a lemon?

Last edited:
SPOT

I bought a SPOT and used it on a 200 mile motorcycle ride. The SPOT was in an open vest pocket and when I arrived home to "see where I had been", there was only a single mark on the map. I had it for only one day and returned it. They took it back immediately, with no problem.

Still, there are some who swear by those things. I see Doug Reeves (dr) uses his quite often and posts the results online. It's a great concept and I may order one again someday.

Spot

I have probably flown 15 hours with mine on and it has missed just one point that I know of. And that is when it fell on the floor. I have also spent a day skiing with it in a jacket and again - apparently not a point missed.

I have probably flown 15 hours with mine on and it has missed just one point that I know of. And that is when it fell on the floor. I have also spent a day skiing with it in a jacket and again - apparently not a point missed.

Does it send out e-mails like advertized?

Mine does, Larry. I use the 'check in' feature with my wife often.

b,
d

I'm really disappointed that SPOT will not talk to AOL. I'll call them back on Monday morning and see what they can do. If the check in messages don't make it out, neither will the 911 HELP messages. I love the concept, but in practice, for me anyway, I'm not impressed.

I have not tried the mapping feature. Maybe that is the answer to those who use AOL. Changing e-mail address is not an option for me.

Last edited:
snip...If the check in messages don't make it out, neither will the 911 HELP messages....snip.

I don't think that is correct, Larry. The help message signal goes to SPOT and then out to your friend's email address(es) - assuming they don't have AOL accounts, it should work OK. The AOL thing is news to me...

A few of my 'trust them with everything' friends have my login credentials for the SPOT site and can track me online without email (wife, RV buds, etc). That is the golden asset for me (not the email).

b,
d

Last edited:
Spot

Like Doug said.

Text message maybe useful for you if email is not.

I have my and my wife's cell programed to receive the "well check" message. When I jump in the plane, I send one of those before going to track mode. I typically receive the message on the phone before I take off so I know it is working OK.

Very pleased so far. I fly over remote mountains on most flights. Gives me a much better feeling that I will be located than either a flight plan or ELT.

Just a thought...

Have you tried adding the SPOT email address into your address book? (Not sure how it is formatted, is it [devicename]@SPOT.com?)

AOL's spam filters are notorious for blocking auto-generated email alerts, even those that you desire to receive. It is very likely not a problem with SPOT. More likely, it is a problem with AOL. What did AOL say?

N_D

A possible fix....

Create a hotmail account that auto-forwards to your AOL account. Let me know if you can't do this and I'll create you a .vansairforc.net email account that will do it.

At least it's a solution <g>.

b,
d

SPOT issues

We purchased a SPOT 2 weeks ago and played with it around Granbury before leaving on a trip a week ago. We have had no issues getting emails to our AOL accounts. We have had some issues getting the tracking to start shortly after sending I am okay message. We also have not been able to send an I am okay message at the end of a trip when tracking is on. I assume we are still learning how to use it.

Well this is good. I started getting all of the e-mails. 3 days after I sent the message. I'm not kidding! I sent the HELP message on the 28th, and I just got the emails. Today is the 31st.

I could have sent a snail mail letter and beat the SPOT message. :confused:

Hey! Good news! I called SPOT customer service and they gave me a tip for dealing with AOL. I added the SPOT response e-mail address to my AOL account and it seems to be working much better!

I asked them about response time for a 911 alert and they said it is not sent my e-mail. A 911 message is sent via a different route. It is almost instantanious.

I guess all new technologies need tweeking.

Last edited:
Spot Works Good

My spot has works pretty good. In my Cessna it works great on the dash but not too well on the floor of the baggage compartment. I think the key is place it per their instructions with a good view to the sky and with the label facing up because that's where the antenna is. My wife just drove from Portland to LA and back with it on the dash. From the tracking on the map you could see that it missed about one out of every 15-20. Who knows, she could have been under an underpass at that very moment. If you want to go hiking with it and get 100% coverage, don't hike in trees that will block the signal and strap it to the top of your head. Just a suggestion. What I do know is that we've had several deaths in the wilderness of Oregon in the past year that wouldn't have occured should they had been carrying one of these.

My spot is working fine also. Hey Albert, if you go to the spot web site you should be able to edit the message you send and add or delete who you send it to, is this not right? I remember reading that when you activate one of the functions of the Spot the activator needs to depress the button for at least two seconds perhaps not holding the button down long enough is the source of some problems.

I send my messaged via cell msgs...They all work fine...

I haven't setup email messages, but I have SMS msgs go out and they all seem to work fine. Maybe a 10 minute delay from the time I send them out to the time I receive mine on my cell phone.

I'm really happy with the performance and it makes my family feel a whole lot better.

I also can tell folks, I'll send you a message 30 minutes before arriving so they can head out in time to pick me up- it works great!

Back