What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Tahoe

kevinh

Well Known Member
Since I recently returned from a couple of nights in Truckee I thought I'd post my notes in case they are useful for someone else. I've flown my RV up to tahoe a few times and perhaps this thread will provide a place for future searchers to find our collected wisdom.

For spring/summer activities: Fly into the south lake tahoe airport and either rent a car, get a cab or ride the free blue bus. If you stay in town you can easily get to heavenly and do lake activities without a car. (I still want to get out to Truckee in the summer for a glider flight. Supposedly it is sailplane mecca.)

For winter activities you can either fly to South Lake or Truckee. I prefer Truckee for the following reasons:

• The Northstar resort shuttle will pick up at the airport for quick little day trips.
  • I really like a little (but posh) hotel very close to the airport: The Cedar House. The owners are nice and they will take care of arranging shuttles to take you to whatever outdoor sport appeals to you.
  • The Squaw and Alpine Meadows shuttles will pick up/drop off.

Last edited:
Kevin,
I agree. Both Truckee and Tahoe are great fly-in destinations.
I would comment though, that night time arrivals/departures, especially at Truckee, with a high overcast and no moon will get your attention unless you are really familiar with both areas. Also, density altitude during the summer time can be a problem for anyone not doing adequate pre-flight planning. Some accidents and many scary moments for those that don't
Also, the Soaring at Truckee and at Minden can be fabulous.

Steve

I flew into Truckee to get fuel one day and wanted to go into town to go to a great breakfast place called "The Squeeze Inn". The airport manager let me drive the county truck into town. Nice people there.

Back