What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EIS4000 Wiring transducers to harness

Doug

Well Known Member
Perhaps this is a dumb queston and I am not seeing the obvious but I am uncertain how to do the connection between transducers and wiring harness. Perhaps too much knowledge is my problem here but not using shielded cable on low voltage sense circuits in a high EMI/RF environments is just not right.

How have folk actually joined there transducers to the harness? Is it a case of stripping the two wires, twsting, solder and heatshrink and forget or do others do it differently?

How have you dealt with the pull up resistors necessary on some channels, do I simply solder these into the harness and heatshrink over or is there a better way.

I have not read reports of interference on transducer inputs when transmitting as occurrs with some vans gauges so maybe I do not need to be concerned.

Doug

EIS4000 wiring

I just wired mine just like I did everything else. For my fuel guages, I soldered the resistors in-line and used a couple of layers of shrink tube for protection. Everything works great, engine on or off, and while using the radios (everything on the ground - not flying yet - but real close).
That unit has been around a while and seems pretty bullet proof with no special considerations for the wiring.

Yes you are worring too much but good question

Perhaps this is a dumb queston and I am not seeing the obvious but I am uncertain how to do the connection between transducers and wiring harness. Perhaps too much knowledge is my problem here but not using shielded cable on low voltage sense circuits in a high EMI/RF environments is just not right.

How have folk actually joined there transducers to the harness? Is it a case of stripping the two wires, twisting, solder and heatshrink and forget or do others do it differently?

How have you dealt with the pull up resistors necessary on some channels, do I simply solder these into the harness and heatshrink over or is there a better way.

I have not read reports of interference on transducer inputs when transmitting as occurs with some vans gauges so maybe I do not need to be concerned.

Doug
It ain't making noise and it does not care if there is EMI or RFI. Now if you the route sender/transducer wires next to a leaky strobe cable, VHF / UHF transmitter coaxial or power wire, may be. The point is just route the sender/transducers wisely. The digital EIS4000 kind of filters out the noise.

Yes twisted pairs is usually a harmless thing (depending on what you are twisting together. The transducers are single wire, but it may be beneficial in some cases. Twist wires together logically to make wiring neat. However if you have to remove one of the wires.......don't go nuts with it. I can see the OT and OP and MAP being twisted. Make sure your senders have a good common ground.

Now if you ask people who have Vans meters, like the Volt, Amp or MAP, you will hear complaints of their gauges doing weird things when they transmitted on the VHF com. Weird meaning the HARD peg over momentarily. Why I don't know but if you search the archives you will see the issue pop up now and than. However I have never heard of a problem with the EIS4000, no doubt because the processor takes the analog voltage and filters out spurious signals, averages them digitally. Where Vans gauges are totally analog and the needles jump with just a few micro volts. Also the case of Vans gauges are probably not shielded. There is EMI and RFI all over the place but the Vans gauges act as radio receivers.

My point is not a bad question. However the nature of the EIS4000 processor mellows out the signal. That is the technical explanation. :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Back