What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How 'bout Mistral

cjensen

Well Known Member
Now these guys really show some promise. Again, on the pricey side, but from what I've read about 'em on their website, and visiting with them at OSH, this one has definite potential. Their PSRU has a provision for a hydraulic C/S prop!

I love talking rotary's and the new players out there.

I love the info and technical stuff. Please keep arguments in the 'Traditional vs. Alternative Powerplant' thread.

:rolleyes:

About Mistral!

Chad,
I have been following Mistral since they were an unnamed offshoot of a Swiss airframe maintaince company. These guys are first-cabin all the way. They have hundreds of dyno hours with their turbo version of the rotary. (230 HP) They are in cycle to CERTIFY the engine with the FAA. The engines currently slated are all Mazda 13B/20B based. They may be required to make their own rotor housings later to provide the paper trail. (Although Thielert seems to have bypassed that hurdle with their MB based diesels) The most exciting things they are working on are; Jet-A powered, non-diesel that is called spark ignition heavy fuel. Aluminum side and end housings. The aluminum side and intermediate housings will make a good power-to-weight engine a great one the 2-rotor loses 28 POUNDS! and the 3-rotor almost 50! Their PSRU is built "like a Swiss watch" Ha Ha. All kidding aside this is a group to watch. Best of all they are FLYING now and WILL sell parts to home builders.
Bill Jepson
Rotary10-RV

just a word of caution...

product looks very interesting & promising.
very well engineered.
one flying in cooperation with ERAU.

had a promising chat with the CTO, Gordon Anderson at the aero friedrichshafen trade show this spring, showing interest in experimental projects nearby. agreed to keep in touch.

thereafter we tried to contact them several times, to arrange for a factory visit and talk about rv-7a integration (given we live in switzerland as well, max 3hrs away)
no replies whatsoever...
so apparently customer service / marketing is not their priority.
also, we're missing current updates on the web page.
unfortunately missed osh05, anyone talked to them?

time will tell...

kind regards
Bernie Daenzer, Alex Lichtensteiger
www.flyvans.com

RV-7A QB, waiting for the arrival of the Wings&Fuse kits in about 3 weeks.
Engine choice yet to be made...

i did talk to them at OSH this year, and i thought they were very well represented. they had a great display, and plenty of people there to answer questions, at least when i was there.

i have had pretty good luck with email correspondence with francois. we just exchanged emails twice yesterday in fact. i feel pretty confident in these guys.

i do agree that there website needs some updating!

Nice Display

flyvans.com said:
just a word of caution...

>product looks very interesting & promising
>had a promising chat with the CTO, Gordon Anderson
>apparently customer service / marketing is not their priority.
>missing current updates on the web page.
>time will tell...
cjensen said:
>they had a great display
>plenty of people there to answer questions
>i have had pretty good luck with email correspondence
>i feel pretty confident in these guys.
>i do agree that there website needs some updating!
I am going to wait until they have several hundred flying 1000's of hours, with known performance and economy numbers. A nice airshow display does not do it for me. The reduction unit with hydraulic prop capability looks interesting and works well, but for $7,000 it should look good.

"Looks interesting" and "feel pretty confident" is not flying a plane with real data. I see they have a flight test plane (Piper Arrow III), but NO performance numbers (almost a year and half ago)? Why? What is the fuel burn? What is the new climb rate, top speed and 8,000? cruise speed. What's the installed weight (Piper Arrow III empty weight before and after the Lycoming IO-360 (200hp) was replaced)? They claim the engine weighs approx the same as a Lycoming? Is that with the 100lbs of extra system stuff (battery, pumps, radiator, PRSU)?

Cost: They call for a price of $31,500 to $35,900 just for the engine? Plus the PSRU $6,950. No mention if that comes with an installation kit (e.g., radiator, etc). The cost, $38,450-$42,850 :eek: will be way more than a traditional engine. If it does NOT come with the radiator and other parts (like engine mount) what will they charge for that? Will it fit in a RV?

If they expect to market to experimental aircraft (RV in particular) they will need to have a whole kit like powersport and get the cost down. Even if they have success in certification, and that is a big if, it has no affect on an experimental aircraft builder and pilot, except may be increased cost. The cost they incur will need to be passed onto the customers. The Non-certified clone Lycomings do very well and cost about $5,000 less. Certification does not impress me, but it remains to be seen if they will ever get there. Good luck to them.

The big disappointment to me is the early promise of cheap power alternate engines was going to give experimental aircraft (in the 20 years I have followed it), which has not been realized. As cost of these alternate engines have crept higher and higher and over taken and exceeded the cost of a traditional Lycoming (which keeps going down), they still do not offered any real better performance or economy or both. When an alternate engine fly?s next to a Lycoming and does not perform as well or burns a significant amount more fuel than a Lycoming, I hear excuses and wishful thinking. How can I justify spending 10's of thousands of dollars more for less performance and/or more fuel burn than a well established and understood air-cooled Lycoming (that requires less systems to install and should be more reliabile from a system stand point with mechanical fuel and independant ignition systems, because there are less support systems)? A nice airshow display does not do it for me.

My other big disappointment with alternative engines, is a lack of objectivity and real honest flight test data. No doubt this company has found all the same normal issues a Wankel engine has, noise and fuel economy, in their 1.5 years of flight test. They are using the same Mazda technology as everyone else. There is no reason their results will be different than anyone else (powersport, Real World Solutions, home grown do-it-your-self). Looking at their in-flight picture of the Piper Arrow III it has a huge off center hole in the cowl for cooling. What does that do for drag? An engine does not live on a test stand, it is the engine and the installation that makes the total picture. One of the dirty little secrets of water cooling is the radiator is hard to install with out (dirty) drag. Research in the area of water cooled engines for aircraft stopped after WWII when jets came out. The most successful water cooled aircraft was a V12-Rolls Royce North American P-51. The belly scoop was as low drag as could be made, but when you have a super charged +2,000 HP (piston) engine you can take a little extra drag of a radiator. Water cooling is superior in the world of just the engine, but in the world of engine intallation aircooled has many advantages.

George (would like an alternate but can't find anything that meet my needs that is better than a Lycoming, that does not cost more, is easier to install and maintain, does not weigh more and performs better (speed/fuel burn) than a Lycoming. )

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
George (would like an alternate but can't find anything that meet my needs that is better than a Lycoming, that does not cost more, is easier to install and maintain, does not weigh more and performs better (speed/fuel burn) than a Lycoming. )
Darn George, is there no satisfying you? :D

george,

let me digest all that and reply after dinner...

one thing though, i do have the list of what come's with that $31.5k price, and the RSRU is included. i'll get it, and post it.

ok, i'm not gonna reply to all of that. mainly because i don't want to argue fine points in this thread. fact of the matter is 1) i am looking for alternative power for myself, not anyone else, 2) there's another place for these arguments, 3) all engines have their drawbacks.

here's the email sent to me yesterday, 8/13/05, from Mistral:

"Dear Mr Jensen,

Thank you very much for your interest in our products. May I ask you what aircraft model you are planning to put a rotary on? Depending on the model we may help you further with a firewall-forward kit or engineering assistance.

Our G-190 sells for $31,500. This price includes:

- PSRU
- 70 A alternator
- Starter
- Dual electric fuel pumps
- Digital Engine Management (DEM) system with all required sensors as well as standard display and pilot interface.

Our engines bolt right on standard dynafocal mounts. Chances are therefore good that the engine mount coming with your kit be adequate.

Not included (because partly or totally aircraft-specific) but provided as customized options are:
- Exhaust system, including muffler ($1200-1800)
- Radiator ($400-600)
- Oil cooler ($300-500)
- Plumbing hardware (approx. $400)

Other options

- Ceramic apex seals with 3,000 hr warranty on the seals $1,480

- 6.5?? high-quality engine instrument display $1,450

- Prop governor (PCU5000) $1,350

- DEM upgrade package (voice alarms, fuel-flows, etc) $850

- Hartzell propeller (flight tested by Hartzell on Mistral engines) ask for quote

Don?t hesitate to contact me or additional information.

Sincerely yours,

Fran?ois Badoux, CEO
MISTRAL Engines SA"

you can see that the engine will use standard mount, and the options do add to the price. this second email is about their efforts to provide FWF kits for -6 -7 -9 RV's.

This one is from this morning 8/14/05:

Chad,

With a client of ours, we are presently installing a G-190 on a RV-6. As
the firewall is identical for the 6, 7 and 9 models, we'll have a
firewall-forward package ready for you by the time you'll need it.

Best regards,

Francois Badoux

take it for what it's worth, but i am just gathering info, not looking for arguments.

Good Info

Thanks Chad: That is good info. That is interesting, it mounts off the dynafocal mount. Keep us posted on the RV6. George

you're welcome george. i will be watching that RV6 closely, and will be happy to provide any updates i hear of. :)

It looks like a reasonable alternative- but my opinion is that it is way too expensive to pay for only a very minor improvement in performance for a C/S prop over fixed. Almost 5-8X the price of a rotaryaviation system???

Id also be concerned about being completely reliant on a small production/unknown foreign supplier for parts and support.

definitely things to consider. i don't believe that a C/S prop is required here. not sure, but the i think i read somewhere that it's optional.

what you gain in this package over Tracy's is most of the self-engineering is taken out. but, i do still think that Tracy's way is a good option. a good friend of mine is doing this, so i have a front row seat for the installation.

Back