What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inverted Oil, Inverted Fuel and Smoke System

N62XS

Well Known Member
I am looking for information on inverted oil systems for a RV-8. I've seen mention of the Raven and the one Spruce offers. Any info, opinions, pix and urls are appreciated.

I am also looking for information on inverted fuel systems for a FI Lycoming for a RV-8. Any info, opinions, pix and urls are appreciated.

Finally, I am looking for information on off the shelf smoke systems for a RV-8. Any info, opinions, pix and urls are appreciated.

Thanks,

Robby Knox

Raven Aircraft in Canada

Robby,

I bought my inverted setup from Raven. Much cheaper than Christen, and their 'slobber pot' is smaller than Christen's. Raven has also eliminated the breather TEE that Christen uses on the firewall. I made up my own hoses, did not buy the hose and fitting kit, instead I made a list from Raven's literature and I picked up all the large hydraulic hose ends and fittings at airshows. Saved a ton there. Bought a cheap hydraulic hand pump for $30 from Northern Hydraulics to pressure test the hoses to 3000PSI.

Raven's service is excellent. One of their suction fittings into the sump did not fit in my installation, so they machined one up for me. I am very happy.

http://www.ravenaircraft.com/raven_002.htm

Art in Asheville

For smoke systems, go to this URL: http://www.smokingairplanes.com/

I have their system for my RV8, the plane is not flying yet but I do have the system installed. The workmanship of all the parts is very nice. Also, I wanted to change out some features, such as a different tank, and they were very easy to work with and responsive to all of my questions.

I used a regular Christen system in an aircraft I used to fly. I was important to mount the "balls" at about 15 deg to the vertical so system used the inverted plumbing in a vertical up line and the errect plumbing in a down line to keep good oil pressure all of the time. We also had a smoke system, I was suprised at the size of pump required to get a good output - it weighed 3 or 4 lbs, we also had another to pump the diesel into the tank, with quick release coupling on the fuselage (avoids struggling with 5 gal drums of horrible, nasty, smelly oil. Coupling was a air hose quick release).

As soon as you use the smoke system the bottom of the airplane will be ingrained with smoke oil - somehow it will migrate to the inside. If we didn't fly airshows I wouldn't have installed it.

Back