What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about VFR flights to Galveston (GLS)

OneTwoSierra

Well Known Member
From the DFW area, flights to GLS take me through lots of Houston Class B. Should I plan to go completely around this, or is ATC usually pretty good about giving VFR pilots who are talking to them clearance through it? I prefer not to fly 100 miles at 2500 feet. Any suggestions on the best way to GLS from the north?

Thanks for the help,
Brian
9612S

Brian,

Back in '97 I flew VFR from Shreveport to Corpus Christi over the Class B!

OneTwoSierra said:
From the DFW area, flights to GLS take me through lots of Houston Class B. Should I plan to go completely around this, or is ATC usually pretty good about giving VFR pilots who are talking to them clearance through it? I prefer not to fly 100 miles at 2500 feet. Any suggestions on the best way to GLS from the north?

Been gone for about two years now, but Houston Approach was notorious for not even taking handoffs from Center for flight following when returning to the area and landing at an airport under Class B airspace! I've had them do it, but it tended to be the exception rather than the rule.

Don't even try to go around the west side..... tall towers that extend up into the overlying Class B, lot's of activity, SGR's Class D, etc. I'd aim for DAS as a waypoint, keeps you entirely out of the Class B, and should only add about 12 miles to your trip.

You will be flying over the bay, and it is a LARGE body of water, so if that's a problem.....

Drop by the Gardens for lunch, and don't forget the Air Museum there.

Have fun!

Dave

It all depends...

....On how busy they are when you get here. The Houston Approach guys are very accomodating if they have the time,and if they are busy, they aren't malicious, they're just busy!

I've been flying on the south side of Houston now for 25 years, and if I'm coming home from a Crosscountry, I listen in early, and get a feel for how busy they are going to be. Since I usually cruise high in my big-engined AA1, I decide if I am going to take an early tangent to the side of the Class B, and descend as I arc around it, then duck under as soon as I reach floor level. Doesn't take you too far out of the way. If you are low when you contact them, they'll keep you low!

As long as you take a tangent on the Class B early, the extra mileage is not that great, and the advantages of staying high are many. The west side can be busy down low, as mentioned, but up high, around the outer ring is just fine.

Paul Dye

Ironflight said:
The Houston Approach guys are very accomodating if they have the time,and if they are busy, they aren't malicious, they're just busy!
Sorry Paul, I really didn't mean to imply anything regarding those guys, other than as you said, when they are busy, they are busy! Unfortuneately, my experience has been that they are one of the busier Class B's I've ever flown around, although I will admit having limited experience! I've gotten great service from them at off hours, and I will admit they have some of the funniest controllers I've ever encountered.

However, I have more than once been coming back from BTR at 6500 feet, with Center, 4 miles from Class B airspace, and been told that radar service was terminated, squawk VFR, and to try Houston approach on 1xx.xx! At that point I'm scrambling, trying to figure out how to get down, change direction, etc., before busting Class B airspace. It would probably be different if all I were doing were contacting approach to get access, listening in and evaluating the situation, but when you're with Center, you assume they're going to get the clearance for you, and needless to say, it comes as a bit of a shock when they put you in that close and then pull the plug!

So like you, I recommend that people pick that tangent line early, it really is minimal extra mileage. If you get lucky and get a handoff (assuming you are getting radar services), that's great. If not, you're not scrambling at the last minuite in unfamiliar territory!

FWIW, those guys are great at letting you wander around the downtown area for sightseeing purposes.... you just have to wait untli about 2:00 AM! But it is worth the trip!

Dave

:confused: I fly around the chicago class b all the time (as i'm only about 15 miles out side their airspace at C09) ... i have to say they have always taken me if i stay above 8000 feet ... being around chicago all my flying life, i know that their inbound and outbound traffic is at 7000 and below within the class b airspace. I would say ... you are in an RV ... go high ... if they can't take you ... go over!

:cool:

Avoid Houston atc

I moved to Houston a couple of years ago from a towered field in Tulsa and since I was used to talking to ATC, at first I would just call them up and try to fly through the class B like I used to do with the Class C back home. It didn't take many times to realize -- those guys just don't want you in their airspace! I never talk to them anymore.

Houston approach is by far the rudest, least accomodating bunch of controllers I have ever run accross. If you can get them to take flight following, they'll just dump you at the edge of the class B instead of giving you a handoff to the center controller. If you come in on flight following, they'll usually refuse the handoff. And while you're in their air, they'll vector you all of the place and keep you below 3000. It's not worth the effort. You'd think they were running some serious traffic, but it's not a fraction of Dallas's, and those guys are great. In fact, my little GA home field in Tulsa (RVS) is consistently ranked higher in traffic than either Hobby or Bush, so all that the attitude is a little hard for me to understand.

Anyway -- I'd just go around. Otherwise, you'll have to get down to 2000 to get under it. The east side's probably the best route. More to see. The ship channel bridge is pretty cool. But we've been told not to loiter around over the ship channel -- it's not a TFR but the guys at Ellington watch it closely. Also, I noticed Aeroplanner is showing a new TFR on the southwest side. Not sure what that's about.

Have fun.

jonbakerok said:
Also, I noticed Aeroplanner is showing a new TFR on the southwest side. Not sure what that's about.

It's a chemical fire.

"5/6933 - TX.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS 15 SE ALVIN, TX. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT FOR CHEMICAL FIRE ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER DIRECTION OF INNOVINE CHEMICAL J. BRADFORD ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE AT AND BELOW 3000 FEET MSL WITHIN A 5 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 291400N/0951100W OR THE HOBBY /HUB/ VOR/DME 164 DEGREE RADIAL AT 25.7 NAUTICAL MILES INNOVINE CHEMICAL J. BRADFORD TELEPHONE 281-581-3437, IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERGENCY RESPONSE ACTIVITY. CONROE /CXO/ AFSS IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. WIE UNTIL UFN "

Thanks for all the input. Seems like I should plan on going around, but now the question is east or west. Flying over the bay??! I need to think about this.

Last edited:
Flying to Galveston

I've flown there twice in the past two months....the last time just 3 weeks ago. The first time I went the East route the last time with my wife aboard, I did the West route. The East has more scenery, but the West was quicker.
I did hug the airspace closely watching the altitudes and horizontal spacing (thank God for GPSs). More traffic on the West side as ther are a number of very active airports so be on the lookout. As you approach the island you have only the bay to cross so there's really no real open water to cross. KGLS is very accomodating, but there is a lot of Helicopter and banner towing traffic throughout the day. Especially early morning for the Helos.
Also don't miss a couple of sight-seeing passes up and down the beach!
The Lone Star Flight Museum is a must.
Hope this helps....
Good Luck!

Back