What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying impressions at 62 hours

randylervold

With 62 hours on my RV-3B things are starting to settle in. I've updated the flying impressions section on my web site and also copied the latest installment here...

62 hours
As operating the aircraft becomes more routine here are a few more observations...
Performance ? The climb performance of this plane is the most notable overall feature and one of two areas where it really stands out from the rest of the RV family (the other being just the responsiveness or finese it is capable of). I still don't have hard numbers on climb but I've just listed >2,500 fpm in my POH. As you get up to the cruise altitudes, 6-9,000', it will still climb at nearly 2,000 fpm. Preliminary testing shows Vy at about 125 mph. I had a climb contest with a buddy the other day. He has an RV-4 with an IO-360 200 hp angle valve and was solo. We pulled up next to each other, held 140 mph indicated and went full forward on throttle and prop. I climbed away from him smartly. It simply goes up like an elevator!
Landings ? As mentioned earlier, wheel landings are my normal landing mode. 3-pointers can be tricky, and airspeed control is essential with them. I use 82 mph as my regular approach speed which is 1.4 Vso and it works well. Any faster and a 3-pointer will get squirrelly as you have too much energy and end up making several landings. Any slower and it will drop in pretty quickly with tailwheel first. Wheel landings are more tolerant of speed variations though this plane still has a fairly narrow speed envelope it likes to land at. For short field work I shoot for just under 78-79 mph and drag it in with some power, then 3-point it. Normally though, wheel landings just seem to work best for me.
Stalls & spins ? Through several rounds of testing I've determined that there is a 2 mph IAS difference in stall speeds from solo/light configuration to gross weight, both with flaps and without. Stalls are conventional but it almost always drops one wing or the other, usually the right wing no matter how centered I keep the ball. Spins are conventional, you have to really hold the stick back and use full rudder to get to to fully spin though. If you don't it will drop the nose in the direction of the rudder and spiral. Keep the rudder in and stick back hard and you can feel the inside wing truly stop flying and enter a true spin. And once you do enter a spin conventional control inputs (opposite rudder, center the stick) work just as you'd expect with recovery taking about a half turn.
Cross country ? The longest trip I've done so far was 2.2 hrs each way. No problems, just program the waypoints into the GPS, engage the autopilot, get it leaned out, and enjoy the ride. This is a small aircraft however and in spite of the cockpit storage I've built in there just isn't a lot of room for frills. Folding sectionals and looking for a place to stash them while you do something else is challenging. I'm trying to learn to rely on the electronics more since the Garmin 496 really has all the data you need in it, but I can wean myself fully from the paper pilot aids (sectionals, WACs, and Flight Guide). Am I just being old fashioned here, should I dump the paper stuff? And there's no way you're going to take your lunch and cold drinks in a small cooler like you can in a side-by-side RV. An energy bar and a bottle of water can be stuffed down beside the seat or in the area forward of the spar though. Still, that's the tradeoff you make with any sports car, right? With fuel prices being what they are I tend to use 55-65% cruise power settings which when running LOP result in a fuel burn of around 6.3 gph and 175-180 mph TAS.
Bottom line ? Overall I couldn't be happier with the plane. It is everything I had hoped it would be and then some. As mentioned in the About the project page, I like small efficient machines and this plane certainly fills that bill. It's really nice to be able to move the plane around so easily without any help. Even when cleaning the exterior there's a benefit, there's just less area to clean. Indeed less can be more!
For those not flying your -3s yet, you're gonna love 'em!!

Evil, evil,evil....

You are an EVIL man Randy! Louise and I are probably a couple years away from STARTING her -3, and we have to put up with these flight descriptions?!:D;)

Guess Ill just have to be content with the -8 for now....:cool:

What an incredible sounding airplane - can't wait to try one!

Paul

You are an EVIL man Randy! Louise and I are probably a couple years away from STARTING her -3, and we have to put up with these flight descriptions?!:D;)
Guess Ill just have to be content with the -8 for now....:cool:
What an incredible sounding airplane - can't wait to try one!
Paul

Yep, evil and lovin it!

One of our local guys recently finished and flew his RV-10 and is still in Phase 1. I received an e-mail from him on Friday asking if he could come over some time to "check the ergos" on the RV-3. On Saturday, after sitting in for a half hour or so, he told me he'd decided, he'll fly down to Van's soon to pick up his -3 tail kit in his RV-10. Talk about the ultimate combo... an RV-10 with everything, and an RV-3 pocket rocket to go with it -- sheesh, doesn't get any better!

My RV8 has a GX65 and I recently bought a 496 but I am old school and keep a sectional folded to about a 14 inch square and a finger following my route when in unfamiliar territory.
I love the GPSes but my sectional has more detail, so if I want to know what that little town's name is where the Canadian River turns west, it is just above my finger. Neither GPS has that much detail.

I have lost sat. reception before but my finger has never quit yet:)

I'm starting to get the impression you like the RV-3.:) Great to hear. I can only imagine how much better it would be to have built mine. Wish I saw those climb/cruise numbers! Trust me, you'll only continue to gain appreciation for the plane.

Hey Tony, how about a report? ...If you can quit flying for a few minutes.

Randy I have no sympathy for you with regards to sectional charts, etc. in your RV3. GO fly an open cockpit biplane for a few hundred hours and find out what a pain sectionals really are!

Glad you are having fun with your new toy. Drop over some time to say hi if you have no place better to go.

Peter

N12XR report

Hey Tony, how about a report? ...If you can quit flying for a few minutes.

Fifteen hours so far. Rolls faster than a -4. No vis in the flare, so I just close my eyes and hope for the best. Initial climb rate at 90 mph is 3000+'/min. Very slippery airplane. Prop is a Catto two blade 68x76. 2200 static, 2330 on takeoff roll, and 2980 wot. Same prop (with 2" less pitch) on a 160 hp -4 stops winding up at 2800 rpm. Speed at wot is 220 mph tas. Pulled back to 2700 speed is 198 mph tas. Plan to use the extra rpm as -4 passing gear. Craig Catto is happy with the prop numbers and says they'll drop a bit when it gets warmer. I'm no prop designer, so I'll just trust what he says. Bart Lalond says the only downside of the higher rpm's is increased engine wear.

Come on down to Stag and give it a go!

Tony

Tony
Very impressive climb numbers. Are you getting them from your VSI or are you doing climb profiles? FWIW my best ROC speed is much closer to 110mph than 90 mph.
Tom
RV3 2000+ hours

Last edited:
Yep, I need to do that. And of course Jon's right there to give some motivation to also. I really should let him sit in mind to keep his motivation up.

Don't need motivation, just more time! (bass fishing in Mexico, Golf in Vega's, headed to Florida with kids for spring break, CI on the 6 is due, and all of that in a months time. Oh well....)

Come on over for a visit regardless I would love to check out your 3 more closely.

Tony
Very impressive climb numbers. Are you getting them from your VSI or are you doing climb profiles? FWIW my best ROC speed is much closer to 110mph than 90 mph.
Tom
RV3 2000+ hours

Tom,

One eye on the Dynon and the other on the gps roc. I'm at sea level and only see the 3000' for the first 1000'. Then it falls flat on its face and will only do 2600'/min.

Tony

Back