What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: How I got my trim tab to look good!

GAHco

Well Known Member
I received a PM that asked for more info on my old post on how I closed the ends of my elevator trim tab, so I updated my original post and copied it here so anyone else may see how I did it. It was an easy solution that worked and looks great.

I hope this helps someone, I get allot of great info that helps me as a slooow buiilder from others that have already crossed bridges that I am after many years just stepping onto. Thanks experienced builders, when we all share, we all win. Go team RV!

Here it is.
I will try to expound on it a little more.

The magenta text is added from the original post.

From http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com...Plane_proj.asp

You will see on the site pictures that go with the paragraph below.

It is for the RV6

The bend on the elevator tab was a bit fun. I clamped a piece of 1/8th inch aluminum inside the tab and also held the 1/8th in bar in a vise at the same time, before assembly, and then I used a peewee roller as shown below. Radius the aluminum before clamping itso as not to crack the area where you are bending it., then once clamped carefully, roll the roller over it slowly back and forth until it is the angle you want, focusing the pressure as close as possible to the part you want to bend. I fit it all up and drilled the holes for the blind rivets after bending the tabs but before I assembled it. The rivets you see are CR3214-4-2 rivets. These have almost an identical head size of the MS20426AD3 rivets, but the have 1/8"shank and are considered a structural blind rivet.I suggest dimpling for a 3/32 and then drilling it to an1/8th hole before putting in the rivets. I used two spaced evenly on each end. I know the grip is a little long but they all worked great for me and the strength should be more than adequate.

We sell these rivet in packs of 10 p/n CR3214-4-2pkg/10

You wont need the hundred pack without the /10 as a suffix unless you fall in love with these little blind "oops" rivets, then you will want more.

elvtabend.jpg

BTW the roller is a wallpaper tool. it was originally used by me for installing de-ice boots when I was working on planes for a living.

peeweeroller.jpg

One more tip.

Try some scrap .020 first and that will show you how the radius will look. It will work out fine, you only bend it a few degrees each time you roll, so it is hard to mess it up.

Back