What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Retractable Sharpie metal marker

Harold Lanfear

Well Known Member
My brother-in-law, who works for an office supply company gave my wife a new ultra-fine tip retractable point Sharpie marker. What a great idea; it's got a tiny trapdoor that seals it when you clip the end, just like a retractable pen, but instead of ink, its got a trusty ultra-fine Sharpie inside.

It sure beats fumbling to remove a cap when youre holding two pieces of metal in the proper place, sort of. I love this thing :D

Since its new, they might not be in your favority office supply store yet (but I've got mine :p; but if you're going to get a marker, you may want to look for this as they sure are handy.

No, I don't work for Sharpie or any office supply company. Come to think of it, I don't work at all; I'm retired!

If it 's blue it's ok but if it's black it has been outlawed at the airlines and production floor.. Black has carbon that creates corrosion.

If it 's blue it's ok but if it's black it has been outlawed at the airlines and production floor.. Black has carbon that creates corrosion.

Was the black restricted because of carbon from pencils or markers as well? I know pencils are not allowed but I never heard of sharpies. Back a few years we had to restrict the use of markers on fall protection harnesses and composite rigging. Evidently the ink degraded the strength if you used Marks a lot brand, I think that was the brand but we banned them all to eliminate confusion.

Those retractables are nice but the Pilot brand Avery sells are THE best I have ever used.

Last edited:
I bought a package of these at WalMart with 5 different colors and none were black. They are very handy.

Was the black restricted because of carbon from pencils or markers as well? I know pencils are not allowed but I never heard of sharpies. Back a few years we had to restrict the use of markers on fall protection harnesses and composite rigging. Evidently the ink degraded the strength if you used Marks a lot brand, I think that was the brand but we banned them all to eliminate confusion.

Those retractables are nice but the Pilot brand Avery sells are THE best I have ever used.

Yes black sharpies outlawed.. I gave mine to my neice.. We use blue now..

Yes black sharpies outlawed.. I gave mine to my neice.. We use blue now..

I'm just curious where you work that has outlawed them? Not disputing anything, just curious, as this is the first time I've heard anything about a particular color of Sharpie being a problem.

I use mostly Blue sharpies because legend has it that they last longer.....:)

Sanford....

I'm just curious where you work that has outlawed them? Not disputing anything, just curious, as this is the first time I've heard anything about a particular color of Sharpie being a problem.

I'm surprised they didn't just order these Sharpie markers.....

http://www.markingpendepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=109

I wrote to Sanford and they have only analyzed (and certified) one Sharpie (the one above - which is black...:)...), and it does not have carbon in it.

I vote for uban legend....:)

gil A

It is a fact that the blue Sharpies will bleed through primer when applied. With the black I'd have to remake my note when the primer dried.

Here's the form letter reply to the metals lab. We only use blue because we can't keep track of the different black markers.

Dear xxx

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our Sharpie Marker.

Actually, the Sharpie Marker may have high levels of halogens
and Sulfur, which may cause corrosion on metal. We have not
performed any testing on this marker to know for sure.

However, we offer a product called the T.E.C. Marker (Trace
Element Certified.) Every batch of ink for the T.E.C. Marker is
tested in accordance with the GE Aircraft Engine Spec D50TF8-S6
and the Dept of Energy Nuclear Spec RDT F7-3T. The actual
analysis and a certification letter, certifying that our marker
ink is in compliance with these two specs, are supplied with the
marker.

These markers are specifically intended for safely marking on
aluminum and other metal surfaces. I subsequently found out that
any reasonably large stationery store that carries Sanford
products can order these pens for you. But you have to know the
correct part number. So, here 'tis:

Sanford 13501 (may be shown as SAN-13501). This is a black broad
tip marker.

Sanford 13401 (may be shown as SAN-13401). This is a black fine
tip Sharpie

As you can see, the choice of color is not difficult.

It may well be that the regular Sharpie is safe for aluminum
without the certification. But to be absolutely certain, the
T.E.C. markers are the way to go. .

Last edited:
Just wondering: how many has seen his/her plane disappearing due corrosion because using wrong color of sharpie? :D I'll will keep using colors but I actually wipe them away before priming anyway...

Pratt & Whitney has approved the black sharpie (the only color they approved for that brand) to write on engine components.

Another vote for urban legend. :D

Here's the form letter reply to the metals lab. We only use blue because we can't keep track of the different black markers.

Dear xxx

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our Sharpie Marker.

Actually, the Sharpie Marker may have high levels of halogens
and Sulfur, which may cause corrosion on metal. We have not
performed any testing on this marker to know for sure.

However, we offer a product called the T.E.C. Marker (Trace
Element Certified.) Every batch of ink for the T.E.C. Marker is
tested in accordance with the GE Aircraft Engine Spec D50TF8-S6
and the Dept of Energy Nuclear Spec RDT F7-3T. The actual
analysis and a certification letter, certifying that our marker
ink is in compliance with these two specs, are supplied with the
marker.

These markers are specifically intended for safely marking on
aluminum and other metal surfaces. I subsequently found out that
any reasonably large stationery store that carries Sanford
products can order these pens for you. But you have to know the
correct part number. So, here 'tis:

Sanford 13501 (may be shown as SAN-13501). This is a black broad
tip marker.

Sanford 13401 (may be shown as SAN-13401). This is a black fine
tip Sharpie

As you can see, the choice of color is not difficult.

It may well be that the regular Sharpie is safe for aluminum
without the certification. But to be absolutely certain, the
T.E.C. markers are the way to go. .

Looks like they are trying to sell their version. They admit to not testing the sharpie. I have seen nothing on Sharpies being harmful. We are in the front lines and are getting ready to bring the 757 and 777 onlline for my airline, I am sure I would have seen the emergency order that bans black sharpies from all aircraft. I vote for total salesman bs.

Pratt & Whitney has approved the black sharpie (the only color they approved for that brand) to write on engine components.

Another vote for urban legend. :D

But your working overhaul and eng components are not made from aluminum.:D

But your working overhaul and eng components are not made from aluminum.:D

While the majority of engine components are made of exotic alloys, some engine components ARE made from aluminum, and all workers use black sharipes to mark parts.

What particular part did you have in mind? I'm sure it is not sheet aluminum.. If anything it's a casting and has a proctective coating of some sort.

Last edited:
Hey,

Did you guys hear? They grounded a bunch of Southwest jets because they found out Boeing used BLACK Sharpies on 'em....:eek:

You might build e'm new ( Hat's off to ya) but you probably won't see the affects of your material handling for years after construction. I see things from a different perspective having worked ( Sheetmetal ) overhaul of Civil and military aircraft after years of hard use and abuse. From this experience, I have a pretty good idea of what does and doesn't work. Corrosion in those overhauls is everywhere!! It is viable to me that regular sharpies could have been at cause. I don't know if you figured it out but alot of front office people are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Sometimes you have to lead them to water. Write up an E dialog or whatever Boeing uses and send it to your metal lab and find out for yourself. Maybe you'll get some money out of it if they have a reward program! :)

Rv505/Chuck,

I think your basis of belief may have been led astray. In your own post you said that NO testing had been done to confirm or deny the harmful effect of a black sharpie on aluminum. So how do you know for sure that it is so? Because the sales rep for a competing company says so? Does that not make your BS meter bounce against the right stop? I personally use blue and red. But if someone said that my red sharpie was as bas as using a ball peen hammer unless I went to "their" brand I would be hard pressed to believe them. Just my .02.

I missed that

Hey,

Did you guys hear? They grounded a bunch of Southwest jets because they found out Boeing used BLACK Sharpies on 'em....:eek:

I missed that; thought it was bad maintenance practices. Where did you get that information; I'd like to see it.

Rv505/Chuck,

I think your basis of belief may have been led astray. In your own post you said that NO testing had been done to confirm or deny the harmful effect of a black sharpie on aluminum. So how do you know for sure that it is so? Because the sales rep for a competing company says so? Does that not make your BS meter bounce against the right stop? I personally use blue and red. But if someone said that my red sharpie was as bas as using a ball peen hammer unless I went to "their" brand I would be hard pressed to believe them. Just my .02.
Not a competing company.....

Sharpie is made by Sanford.

Harold,

That would be called a humorous response to a post. That was not real. SW had issues with doing the Aging Aircraft Insp. Program inspections. That is not a bad maintenance practice by mechanics. That is what certain managers decided to do. Mechanics can only do the work they are assigned.

Back