What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Central Florida plane rental

DavidBurton

Looking for suggestions on an FBO to rent a 172 for an hour or two and tips for places to see from the air. We will be visiting Orlando and Fort Myers from Seattle.

Thanks,
DaveB
RV6

Dave,
I haven't spent much time in Orlando but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express... sorry I couldn't help it.

Anyways, my mom lives in Cape Coral which is just across the caloosahatchee from Fort Myers. I don't know of an FBO to suggest, but there is a lot to see from the air around Fort Myers and Cape Coral.

The city of Cape Coral itself is an interesting sight from the air. The city has canals that run throughout the city and connect to the Caloosahatchee and the gulf. My mom and step-dad have a direct access canal behind their house. A 10-15 minute ride put them in the Gulf of Mexico.

Sanibel island is right off the coast and is interesting from the air and ground. The causeway that connects the island to the mainland has recently been rebuilt. The old drawbridge is an interesting sight and worth investigating. The lighthouse on the far eastern tip of Sanibel island is also pretty and a great photo op. There is a lot to do on the ground at Sanibel as well. Just rent a bike and spend the day pedaling around (it's all flat). JN Ding Darling National Wildlife park is an interesting place to visit that you can drive through. There are also lots of neat restaurants to visit (try the Island Cow, the serve cupcakes instead of rolls).

Captiva is also a neat place to visit from the air/ground. On the ground the beaches are great for searching/diving for sea-shells and is pretty excluded. The houses on Captiva are extraordinary. Most can't be seen from the ground because of dense foliage/landscaping/walls. But from the air you can see that they are mansions.

North Captiva Island is only accessible by boat or plane. They have a grass strip on the north end of the island that is private (to renters/owners of properties on the island). You might call the North Captiva Resort and see if you can land on the strip and dine at the restaurant that is there on the island. You can also kayak and snorkel off the island (we saw an alligator/crocodile last time we were there and kayaking). This is where my wife and I spent our honeymoon.

Depending on how long you're in Fort Myers, you might consider the Key West Express (http://www.seakeywestexpress.com/) for traveling down to Key West. Rates run about $130/adult for a round trip. It's a lot of fun just as a day trip or to spend a few days in Key West. If you've never been to Key West, I'd say it's a must visit for Florida. Bring your drinking shoes.

I'll email my step-dad and see what else he recommends for the area. Have fun.

Looking for suggestions on an FBO to rent a 172 for an hour or two and tips for places to see from the air. We will be visiting Orlando and Fort Myers from Seattle.

Thanks,
DaveB
RV6

I have rented airplanes from Air Orlando at KORL (Orlando Executive) and from Falcon Flight at KSFB (Orlando-Sanford). Air Orlando is a bit more expensive but the planes are generally newer and better equiped (several G1000 equiped planes). Both will require some kind of checkout. I believe Air Orlando required 5 hours for their G1000 planes. The checkout at Falcon Flight was shorter (1-2 hrs IIRC).

As to where to go, in the Orlando area you can fly low and slow over the shore from Daytona beach to Melbourne. Be aware that there are several class C and D airports along the shore so flight following is advised.

From Fort Myers, a trip down to Venice Beach sounds like a cool idea. Haven't been there but it was featured on Pilot Getaways and is definitely on my list of places to go.

Last edited:
If you are going to be on the south end of Orlando in Kissimmee, "Kism" I highly recommend Sunstate Aviation (407) 944-3592. Steve is a good guy to deal with and rents newer well maintained 172's. Some with G1000 panels and the others with 530 GPS's. If you are down this way later in the year, he will even have one of the first Diesel 172'S

Jim Kinsey
7A Finish kit ordered

I fly out of KORL. A great little day trip is to Cedar Key. Check airnav.com for info. Also be aware of the Disney TFR!!!!!

Jay

Winter Haven KGIF has about ten planes to choose from. Great airport to fly out of sits between the two B classes. Check out there site the owner name is John. I live in Indiana and when visiting I usual rent there or Bartow.

http://www.tailwheelsetc.com/

Squeak

i have a home in venice. you can rent a 172 or 150 at the venice airport.
they are really beat but fly. can't wait til i get my rv7a done!
fly south along the coast down to ft myers, like the guy above said! its beautiful.

Keep your hand on your wallet in central FL. Lots of crime, druggies, and pervs running around looking for people to rip off. They prey on people in rental cars, they can spot them a mile away. Most of them are behind the desk at the hotels, just watch your hotel rate mysteriously jump from your quoted internet price.

Last edited:
Back