What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AUX Audio/Mic Jacks

MontanaMike

Well Known Member
Well, here is dumb question number 1 on intercom/radio harness wiring: Do you'all actually wire in the aux jacks and install them somewhere, or just wire it together like it had aux jacks???

I have hard wired them, as per instructions, but now can't think of a good place to put them where they will look like they were done on purpose in a 2-place aircraft, with pilot and co-pilot jacks already installed.

PM501 to ICOM-A200. Mono. I have pinouts.

Dumb Question 2: Any problem soldering the pins instead of crimping???? I am aware of the issue of vibration and supporting the wiring to prevent breaking; any other damage likely???

Any help appreciated!

MontanaMike
RV-6 N918MB Reserved
Finish/FWF/Panel Wiring/Snow Shoveling

What ever you want!

Well, here is dumb question number 1 on intercom/radio harness wiring: Do you'all actually wire in the aux jacks and install them somewhere, or just wire it together like it had aux jacks???

I have hard wired them, as per instructions, but now can't think of a good place to put them where they will look like they were done on purpose in a 2-place aircraft, with pilot and co-pilot jacks already installed. PM501 to ICOM-A200. Mono. I have pinouts.
"Do you'all actually wire in the aux jacks and install them somewhere, or just wire it together like it had aux jacks???"

I'm little confused.

I'm not sure what you mean by Aux jacks as in the plural. Usually there is just one Aux jack.

The Aux jack is usually 1/8" phone and mount it where you like, anywhere, the panel, under the panel, near or not near the mix/phone jacks. Ask yourself what are you going to do with the Aux audio input?

You should have 5 jacks:
(2) Mics - pilot/co-pilot 1/4" jack,
(2) Phones - pilot/co-pilot 1/4" jack and
(1) Aux plug 1/8" jack

The mic & phone pairs for each the pilot & co-pilot, are usually located in a convenient location, typical bottom corners of the instrument panel on side-by-side RV's. The wiring is shorter and the plugs are convenient.

The Aux input jack does NOT have to be co-located with the Mic/phone plugs or you could put it near the pilots mic/phone jacks. You probably want it in reach from the pilot seat. What are you going to do with the Aux jack? Music? Where are you are going to hang your iPod or whatever audio source you have.

The panel is as good as any place to put the Aux jack or even hidden under the panel. I was considering between the seats since the iPod might be sitting on the seat, hanging off the cockpit side or be in my pocket. Variations from jack locations and the reasons to choose a location are as individual as every builder. I would use the kiss method.

Dumb Question 2: Any problem soldering the pins instead of crimping???? I am aware of the issue of vibration and supporting the wiring to prevent breaking; any other damage likely???
Either way, crimp is considered better, more consistent. The down side is it takes a special tool. To get best results this Pro tool costs big bucks, as are the crimp connector pins. You can always borrow the crimp tool or buy it, than sell it after you are done. Many people have used standard solder computer plugs. If you are good at soldering and control the heat, use a little shrink wrap...it should be fine.

Last edited:
AUX Jacks

Thanks GMC.

I'm working off the PM501 diagram, which shows both Phone and Mic inputs, from the radio, fed through separate Phone and Mic Aux jacks, in addition to any other pilot/passenger jacks.

Similarly, an E-Bay purchase I made some time ago of an As-Removed audio panel/jack assembly did come with pilot, co-pilot, pass 1, pass 2, and AUX jacks (phone and mic), with the two AUX jacks pig-tailed to the audio panel. Since the aux jacks included insulating washers and nuts, I assume that they had been installed "somewhere" in the As-Removed aircraft.

Maybe the PS arrangement is what allows pilot command of the radio if the intercom fails or is turned off. Whatever.

I am much less confused now, so thanks are in order, GMC. As always, I enjoy reading your responses, and I thank you!

Mike Bauer
RV-6 N918MB Reserved
Finish/FWF/Watching It Rain

If I understand your question:
Yes, I would install the AUX jacks.
My AUX jacks go directly to the comm and the inputs
to the intercom come from the AUX jacks.
In case your intercom or its wiring fails, you have a way
to still use your comm. Also, it is a great way to start
testing for a problem. I have installed two different
intercoms and they both recommended a set of AUX jacks.
They don't have to be as conveniently located as your set
of intercom jacks.

My mic and ear jacks were designed to be soldered.

Tom

Last edited:
Aux. jacks and PTT wires...

If I understand your question:
Yes, I would install the AUX jacks.
My AUX jacks go directly to the comm and the inputs
to the intercom come from the AUX jacks.
In case your intercom or its wiring fails, you have a way
to still use your comm. Also, it is a great way to start
testing for a problem. I have installed two different
intercoms and they both recommended a set of AUX jacks.
They don't have to be as conveniently located as your set
of intercom jacks.

My mic and ear jacks were designed to be soldered.

Tom

...and to add to Tom's posting...

You do not need to take the PTT wire to the headset Mic. jacks if you have a PTT switch on the stick... but, to cover the failure mode mentioned above, the PTT wire should be taken to the AUX jacks. Then in the worse case, a hand mic. can be plugged into the Aux. jack, or you could make an in-line emergency PTT connection.

Many certified planes came with this aux. mic. connection and were delivered with a separate hand held mic. which is part of the required equipment....

gil A

Aux Jacks

Will PTT connections at the headphone jacks interfere with the stick ptt? I can unsolder them if that is the case, as I will have a grip PTT.

MontanaMike

NO

Will PTT connections at the headphone jacks interfere with the stick ptt? I can unsolder them if that is the case, as I will have a grip PTT.
MontanaMike

The PTT only grounds the point to key the transmitter. You can have as many of these in parallel as you like.

PS Engineering customer WARNING!!!!!

:) Thank you very much, gentlemen.

Mike Bauer
Sorry for the confusion. Most intercoms call the music input the AUX input. I am glad I called them to get this extra info. If you want the warranty or even technical support, than you must use their factory harness and install the AUX Mix/Headphone jacks.

PS Engineering warning for ALL Builders!

I called PS Engineering about the Aux Mic and Aux Headphone jacks:

One) They will not warranty it if you don't install these Aux jacks!

Two) They will not warranty your unit unless installed by authorized dealer -OR- you use a factory harness.

Three) They recommend the Aux mix/headphone jacks for trouble shooting, and if the intercom is removed for service you are not grounded; both are valid points or considerations.

Four) If your intercom is off or fails, the pilots jacks have a fail-safe mode or back-up mode and continue to work. The co-pilot jacks are off-line of course.​

So what does that mean? Not much if you're installing it yourself with your own harness, you most likely will be denied warranty service. Also the technician at PS Engineering said if you call Tech support, they will first ask if you have the AUX jacks. If your answer is no, some Techs might not help YOU! PS Engineering's Pet Peeve is AUX jacks obviously. I see there point, it's a good trouble shooting tool. Also people install the units improperly and damage good units. I'm not critizising their policy just making sure we all know.

On front of their installation manual there is a warranty disclaimer, factory authorized installation only in certified planes. For RV builders, you can install it, but you must use their factory harness (about $150). So if buying new, I'd get the harness and tuck the AUX jacks up somewhere under the panel just to get the warranty and Tech service.

Mike I was mistaken, I was getting MUSIC INPUT mixed up with the AUX MIC and AUX Headphone, per PS Engineering's terminology. So only part of what I said was correct, corrections above noted. My opinion is most builders do not wire in the AUX mic and AUX headphone jacks. If its a warranty thing and you have a factory harness than you can mount then under the panel out of sight if you want. They don't tell you where to mount them. Why not put two more jacks in? Well, it's two less jacks and extra wires. Also, it's unlikely the intercom will fail. Last you don't get a warranty unless you buy their harness, Aux Jacks or not. I understand their position. Apparently people do bad bad things when they wing it and distroy perfectly good units beyond repair.

Last edited:
Aux Jacks

George: Thanks for the add'l info. Sounds like the PS might be sensitive to cross-wiring, so I'll be careful in testing and wiring it in. Since my unit is "recycled" (makes "used" sound "green") it is probably 50/50 it will work anyway. But I'm having fun and learning a lot; which, when I think way back, was the idea anyhow!

My cone of confusion has dissipated, the concept of AUX Jacks is now clear, and is consistent with certificated redundancy. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

MontanaMike
RV-6 N918MB Reserved
Finish/FWF

Back