What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Southern Alberta Air Race/ RV Fly In

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I've talked to a few RV guys about holding a short cross country air race in the High River/ Vulcan area in the Spring or Summer and some have expressed interest. How many out there would be keen on such an event?

There have also been some discussions about RV fly ins perhaps at Rocky Mountain House and/or High River. Any interest in this?

Sounds good.

I won't be able to come this year but would like to come after my phase one is done.

Bevan
RV7A wiring
Abbotsford BC

great idea

Sounds good to me. If I had a choice it would be on a Saturday and outside of the busy summer core month (ie July/Aug).

What do you mean by race?

Southern Alberta....Hmmm

I think it sounds like fun however I have only flown as far as Kelowna, twice! Probably will be ready by early summer to cross the rest of the rocks!
Mark Mercier
C-GQRV RV-7A
Vancouver, BC

Sounds good to me. If I had a choice it would be on a Saturday and outside of the busy summer core month (ie July/Aug).

What do you mean by race?

By race, I was thinking a timed event over 3 legs of a triangular course with interval takeoffs. Maybe a set race frequency to call your turns to a ground observer at each point, minimum altitude of 2000 AGL (to reduce nuisance to regular traffic and ground population), three classes- 320 CID and less, 360 and 540 (for the Rockets).

Trying to keep it safe, simple, cheap and able to function with minimal organization and manpower. See how it goes the first year and take it from there.

I was thinking of uncontrolled airspace in the High River, AJ Ranch, Vulcan, Claresholm area.

Give me your thoughts. What do we need to do with Transport, NOTAMs etc. I know nothing about doing something like this.

Last edited:
Ross
I highly reccomend that you use the format of the SARL, sport aircraft racing league, as it is a new organization developed for exactly what you are proposing to do. Here is their link http://sportairrace.org/index.html I have been in four races, two of them in last years SARL league. Team Canada, :), Wayne Hadath and myself, did quite well in last years races in Memphis and Taylor Texas. Mike Thompson has been the driving force behind this new group and has done a great job over the last year to get things rolling.
I am hoping to host an event under their quidelines, in southern ontario, in august of this year.

Last edited:
Ross
I highly reccomend that you use the format of the SARL, sport aircraft racing league, as it is a new organization developed for exactly what you are proposing to do. Here is their link http://sportairrace.org/index.html I have been in four races, two of them in last years SARL league. Team Canada, :), Wayne Hadath and myself, did quite well in last years races in Memphis and Taylor Texas. Mike Thompson has been the driving force behind this new group and has done a great job over the last year to get things rolling.
I am hoping to host an event under their quidelines, in southern ontario, in august of this year.

Thanks, there is some good info here.

I am IN!!

Definetely count me in. I am hoping on having my 7 done for summer. If not I will still be there. It would be awesome to have such a good event so near to home. I will too spread the word. NEED HELP organizing? Give me a call I would be happy to help promote and orgANIZE.

Ok, it looks like we have interest to go ahead. I'll put the word out to the RAA and EAA chapters in Calgary, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, High River etc.

We will certainly need some help to put this on.

Is May or September better for most people?

poll possible?

My vote would be June, July, early August, or October. May and September brutally conflict with anyone who is in agriculture(seeding, and harvest), which I am, and so are some of my neighbor RVers. Would a poll be possible here?

Hoping to do my first Osh this summer, that's about it for planning!
Mark Mercier
RV-7A C-GQRV
Vancouver, BC

My vote would be June, July, early August, or October. May and September brutally conflict with anyone who is in agriculture(seeding, and harvest), which I am, and so are some of my neighbor RVers. Would a poll be possible here?

This is where it will be hard to please everyone and of course we could get rained out also. I'm looking at not conflicting with other set aviation event dates as well. May 10/11, June 7/8, July 5/6, July 19/20, Sept. 6/7, Sept. 20/21, Sept. 27/28, Oct. 4/5 would look to be ok. Cast your vote on these dates. I've excluded dates with major air shows like Oshkosh, Arlington, Reno etc. as well as bigger AB and BC events. Are Sundays better than Saturdays for the BC guys to have some travel time? I'm thinking AM rather than PM due to the lovely winds we sometimes have in this area. Vote on these too please.

I'm looking at a pretty short course for the first try and thinking High River, Claresholm, Vulcan in some order which I think is about 85 naut miles. Terrain is flat, airspace is open. This also puts us away from the adjacent towns by a few miles. Three legs minimizes ground personnel required. The High River EAA chapter 1410 is very active and supportive of most events. Open to other suggestions for routes keeping the mentioned points in mind.

Not to be closed minded but do we keep this RV/ Rocket only or let other marques in? I'm thinking we could easily have 15-25 RVs and maybe that is enough aircraft for the first try.

Last edited:
my vote for dates

anything OUTSIDE of July and August and on a Saturday. We have a core group of pilots that get together for lunch every thursday here in Claresholm and I know we could get some volunteer help. Claresholm (CEJ4) has a big open area and very little activity.

Let me know

We're going to discuss the idea at the EAA Chapter 1410 meeting in High River on March 6 at 1900 hours. Anyone who is interested and can make it is welcome.

RV Flyin

I've talked to a few RV guys about holding a short cross country air race in the High River/ Vulcan area in the Spring or Summer and some have expressed interest. How many out there would be keen on such an event?

There have also been some discussions about RV fly ins perhaps at Rocky Mountain House and/or High River. Any interest in this?

Not interested in racing but would definitely try and make time (get time off ) to attend a flyin....We could have a flight of possibly 5 from around YXE.....keep me posted

RV Flyin

Not interested in racing but would definitely try and make time (get time off ) to attend a flyin....We could have a flight of possibly 5 from around YXE.....keep me posted

RV Flyin

Ross..Not interested in racing but would definitely try and make time (get time off ) to attend a flyin....We could have a flight of possibly 5 from around YXE.....keep me posted

Back