What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BBRSP ? Weather and Winds!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I must be honest and confess to having very mixed emotions about reporting on another Big Bend Ranch State Park weekend. On the one hand, flying in to the park and spending some time is one of the more interesting and unique things you can do with an RV. On the other hand, the more we talk about it, the more people that are going to want to go, and the experience will change. In fact, change is already in the air, and it could be either good or bad – but in the end, I bet that the folks who made it out there this weekend will agree that despite some weather problems that shortened things up for many, the trip was once again worth it!

We announced back in December that we were going to head out to the Ranch again this President’s Day weekend, and that it would be great to meet some other RV’ers there again. As usual, lots of folks signed up and signed on. And then, as usual, the weather threw us a curve ball that made a Saturday crossing of Texas just about impossible. A big winter storm wound up over New Mexico, swung itself into the southerly-dipping jet stream, and sent lots of low clouds and poor visibilities across the entire state of Texas. The showers stayed mostly to the north until another pulse of low pressure kicked in from the west, building up a cold front that swept across the state in a line of strong thunderstorms in the afternoon and evening. Louise flew in from D.C. on Friday, and we spent the day Friday watching the weather and building a jigsaw puzzle at home. The day became a good learning experience as we shared the forecasts and talked abut the potential for an IFR launch with a VFR arrival. Unfortunately, the area is so isolated that even with an RV’s range, finding a legal alternate that was reachable with reserves was not a trivial exercise – especially with Low IFR conditions across central Texas and strong headwinds along the route. When the cold front built up, we realized that this was not a bad thing overall – it was too late to go and arrive at the unlighted park strip before dark anyway, and the front would clear the area pretty quickly. We set the alarm clock for 0400 and made it an early night.

Now we already knew that some RV’ers had made it out to the ranch. Mark Ausman decided to take his laptop and go early, figuring that since he runs his own company, he could work from wherever he wanted! Some friends of Louise and I from Carlsbad that wanted to join us (but whose Cherokee was suffering from a carburetor problem) drove down and arrived on Saturday. And the Ziliks from Colorado surfed the backside of the storm around through New Mexico and slid in on Saturday. Most of the rest of the folks planning on going cancelled out on Saturday, but we figured two days of a three day weekend were better than nothing! So we lifted off from Houston about 0530, logging some smooth night hours until the sun rose over the Hill Country. The only problem was the winds – straight out of the west, and blowing 40+ knots at 4,500 feet. And they only got worse with altitude! The original plan was to go non-stop to Alpine for fuel, then head down to the ranch, but here I was in an RV in which I routinely see 1000 mile range (when flying high), unable to make the 460 mile trip with adequate reserves. Going higher to get better TAS and a lower fuel burn wasn’t going to buy us anything – the wind was just too strong! So a very minor diversion to Terrell County (6R6) for fuel was added in to the plan. Once I ran the numbers, I realized that the trip from 6R6 to the ranch is only about ten minutes longer than going from Alpine to the ranch, so there was no need to go on to Alpine at all. 6R6 turned out to be a great fuel stop, attended every day but Wednesday, according to the manager, who lives just a hundred yards up the road, and monitors Unicom at home. We’ll use them from now on!

The winds lightened up for the last 30 minutes in to the ranch, and upon landing, the surface winds were nothing to mention, and straight down the runway. We were happy to see a couple of RV’s on the ramp, and a Luscombe as well! The Cards arrived from Austin (with cookies!), as did Pat in his RV-8 from the DFW area, and before we knew it, we had seven airplanes on the ramp. The day was beautiful – sunny, moderate temps, and good visibility for flying. I’ll write more about the events at the ranch in the next post, so I’ll finish up the flying portion here first. The forecast was for continued nice, and when we got up in the morning, that proved to be the case. I was very pleased that the westerly winds aloft had decided to stick around, as I figured the atmosphere owed us something for the flogging we’d had the day before. Louise had ot make a 1430 flight out of Hobby to ge back to D.C., so we shot for an early departure (but not before big BBRSP breakfast!). The flight plan showed a total time to Houston of about 2:20, which looked mighty sweet! We went direct to 6R6 as a waypoint, as that takes you safely around the “corner” of the border with Mexico, then proceeded to Kestrel in the hill Country, on our direct line to Houston, and still selling the cheapest gas in the area. A relaxing stop there to chat with future airpark neighbors, and we were on our way back home – the total flight time (cruising at 11.5K and 9.5K) was just about 2:30 – a very quick trip.

The park provides some really unique flying opportunities, and (if you can get through the weather on the way), generally good local weather (or so we have found so far). The runway seems to be well oriented for the prevailing winds that I’ve found in my trips there to this point. Once again, the staff did a great job of supporting us, even though they were in the middle of a complete organizational change, and there were other guests there as well – in fact the bunkhouse was slightly overbooked! But once again, the flying was extraordinary, and the capability to get there by RV was what made it work. I’ll take two of three days anytime I can get it – most people who go to that region from Houston by ground wouldn’t go for less than a week, as it wouldn’t be worth it. But to fly along at altitude and see the unique geology of the area (and have it explained along the way by Louise – a big plus!) made for a fun few hours of flying.

I like dealing with weather challenges – and sometimes, the best place to deal with them is on the ground. I fault no one and salute everyone that looked at the weather on Friday and decided that Saturday was not going to be a good aviation experience. I use days like that to really study what happens locally under a given set of conditions, and therefore, be smarter the next time. It is always hard to plan a flying event well in advance, and I like the fact that we don’t really “plan” anything for the BBRSP trips – we just pick a date throw out some contact info, and let everyone fend for themselves. And so far, that has worked great. It does look, however, as if the park is going to be “modernizing” there operations to satisfy the TPWD folks in Austin – central reservations, more accountability, more adherence to the “procedures” – I am still hopeful that the local guys will be able to provide the same relaxed experience we have gotten each time, but I have my doubts. Folks that haven’t had the chance to get there might have missed out on some of the charm of the place. Only time will tell how the park is managed, but I do believe that the land and the flying experience will remain the same – extraordinary!

Last edited:
Part 2 - The people and place....

With the weekend shortened by a day due to weather, we had to give up a few things that we like to do out at the ranch. Really, that amounted to canceling our horseback riding plans, but in the long run, we hardly missed that as we had plenty of time to breath the fresh air, walk a bit, and visit with friends – old and new! We arrived a little before 10:00 on Sunday, and there were a number o folks at the airstrip – the Ziliks were getting ready to head out for a sightseeing flight, and there was a park truck there to give us a lift to the ranch compound, Louise and I had decided to stay in the “Big House” this time, and since the cards had also booked a room there, we kind of took over the common areas (living room and kitchen) and invited the RV gang in.

I gave a couple of rides around the local area to our friends from Carlsbad, and the Solitario was a big hit, as usual. The visibility was probably 70 miles, and it was easy to point out the main features of the State and National parks. The view of the Solitario out the top of the canopy while hanging inverted was, to say the least, spectacular! When I came in from one flight, there was another RV that had arrived (Pat, from the DFW area in his polished -8), and then when I came in with my second passenger, the Cards were on the ramp as well. Airplane talk was, as always wedged in between the “oohs” and “ahhs” of the location. We topped the afternoon off with some hiking and more airplane talk. Later, Louise and I had some portrait work done by our friends (a professional photographer) before dinner. The ranch house and surrounding area made for some great “real west” backgrounds that we had been looking forward to.

Dinner was the usual magnificent event at the bunkhouse – Brisket cooked to perfection, beans with lots of jalapeños floating in the pot, all the usual trimmings – and a cobbler for desert! You don’t go hungry at BBRSP, that’s for sure. The bunkhouse was full on Sunday night – in fact, rumor has it that it was overfull – with a few RV’ers, a group of State archeologists, and a great much of bikers that mark was riding with. We gathered the RV crowd in the ranch house living room for an evening of flying talk, interrupted nly by a jaunt outside to watch the International Space Station and Space Shuttle cross overhead. I’d had my Nav guys check on good viewing opportunities for the night, and the one we got was outstanding – high elevation, perfect lighting – a five minute long pass that was about as good as it gets. Since the moon was too bright for good star viewing, the ISS pass sort of made up for it.

Louise and I had to be up and out early to make sure that she caught her commercial flight from Houston back to D.C., so we snuck in to the office and paid our account on Sunday afternoon. With everyone else leaving on Monday morning, we were glad we’d done that in advance, as the line was long, and Marvin (at the desk) had his hands full with an antique accounting system and credit card machine. In all the confusion, we didn’t get to say all our goodbyes as we took the first lift we could find to the airstrip, but it sounds like everyone made it home safely. It was too bad that the weather forced so many folks to cancel their plans, but hey, that’s aviating! I guess that we missed one fellow who drove all the way from Houston (now THAT takes some dedication!) – hope to see you out there again Bart. It was a great time, with great folks (and Tanya Card’s killer caramels and Chocolate Chip cookies as well), and fun flying. If you haven’t had a chance to go yet, I recommend you not wait for a group – the park staff is changing, and what has been might never be the same again. Go soon – it’s one of the most unique state park experiences you’ll ever have!

Pictures? I know lots of folks took pictures - most of ours are on Louise's camera, so we'll have to wait to see what people got....and are willing to post!

Paul

Last edited:
Paul,

Truly a wonderful place. I was able to go dirt bike riding (outside of the park) all day on Sat and Sun, and even a half-day trip down into Mexico. (No, I did not strap the motorcycle on to the RV! ;) )

I hope you don't mind organizing it again next year! Let me know if you need a hand.

Marc

What a weekend!

I had considered being one of the ones to attend, but deviating around that weather from the Kansas City area would have taken a looonnnggg time, eh?:rolleyes:

Maybe next year...

Thanks for the write-up of what you did, especially in the air. Texas in March and April... I liked reading your post.

Our photos

I've put our photographs up at: http://picasaweb.google.com/Ironflight/2008_02_18BBRSPFlyIn2008

Here's a couple of teasers:

IMG_6513.jpg

IMG_6505.jpg

It was a grand time!

OT: BBRSP News

This from today's weekly newspaper, The International:

--------------------------------------------------------
Editor:
There have been two more victims of the Texas Parks and Wildlife donkey massacre.

On Friday, Februay 22, my husband and I, four-year resident volunteers at Big Bend Ranch State Park, were ordered to leave the ranch "immediately."

The official reason given (in writing) was that we had "refused to clean the bathrooms every day." Ironic because during our four-year tenure, we had cleaned every bathroom on the premises numerous times.

The reality is that the previous week, Mr. A. Bundy Phillips, chief implementor of the Public Use Plan and self-proclaimed "Head of Park Operations" (also a former National Park Service employee, friend of Mike Hill and Dan Sholly, and - by his own admission - witness to the donkey slayings) had strongly reprimanded and threatened us for expressing our opinions that were "not on the same page" as Texas Parks and Wildlife.

Please know that as an animal rights activist and wildlife rehabilitator, when a guest returned from Fresno Canyon and requested explanation for the decaying donkey carcass he had encountered, we did not remain silent.

Mr. Phillips informed us that there had been numerous telephone and email exchanges between himself and Mr. Hill about our lack of silence.

Perhaps Mr. Hill is remembering the evening of January 9, 2007, when we dined with him and Dan Sholly at the ranch. They boasted to us about the four aoudad sheep they had slain from a helicopter that day.

As ordered, we departed the ranch immediately - with no time to say goodbye. The purpose of this letter is to do just that. Over the past four year we have made many wonderful friends.

And so - to all the hunters, especially J.B., Chet and the fun group from Alpine; to the pilots, especially and Chase and Tony R.; to the Presidio students, teachers, administrators and especially Patt Simms; to all the cowboys and cowgirls; and most of all to Tony Gallego (recently re-assigned to the Barton Warnock Center) and the rangers who have become family over the past four years - we bid you a fond farewell.

Muchas gracias. We will never forget you.

Diana Warner
John W. Welsh
Leland, Michigan and formerly of Presidio County

------------------------------------------

This donkey killing thing has been going on for several months, and it sure seems there may be more to the story than is being published. I thought those of you who have come to love the Big Bend Ranch and its people might like to know - perhaps investigate and write a letter to somebody in Texas government.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, TX
http://flybigbend.com

Concerned

Thanks, Chase, for letting us know. I've been very busy since returning from BBRSP but I will definately take the time this weekend to send my letter to
Mr. Carter Smith (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/about/administration/executive_director/index.phtml) to express my concern about some of the "contractor's" comments and behavior at the park.

Diane and John are wonderful people who provided immense volunteer service. I never heard them speak inappropriately to visitors, but I certainly did from the person cited as ejecting them. I wish them the very best in their future endeavors.

Last edited:
Chase,

Thanks for the posting--it explains a lot.

Janie and I, in our RV9a, along with friends in a Mooney, traveled as a flight of two to BBRSP on Tuesday from San Antonio for a three day/two night stay. We had to cancel out on the Presidents Day weekend this year but this trip made up for it as we enjoyed incredible weather, beautiful scenary, cloudless/star filled night skys around the fire pit, and great food--but I will report the details in another post. What I wanted to report deals with John and Diana.

When I made our arrangements the prior week I had talked with John and everything seemed normal. When we arrived I inquired about John and Diana and got the same response from everyone, "last week they moved to the La Posada travel trailor park". I assumed that they were simply working in some new capacity for the park. Chase's posting shows that it was not that simple.

I believe that John and Diana were a big part of the reason the first Presidents Day RV Fly In was such a memorable event. They made us all feel as though we were welcomed guests to a large ranch and they did everything possible to make it a pleasant stay. I am saddened to hear of this "event" and will also inquire to the State Parks Service as to what is behind this.

Cheers,

db

BBRSP-Take Two

Janie and I had to cancel out on this years Presidents Day RV Fly In to BBRSP due to weather and a couple of other obligations. However, we love the place so much we made up for that trip this week. On Tuesday Jeff Jones and his wife Karen, along with Janie and I flew out as a flight of two--they in their Mooney 201 and Janie and I in the 9a. We left Bulverde (1T8) on Tuesday morning and made the trip in right at 1:50. The weather was severe clear the entire trip and the vis was 100+, we even had a slight tailwind going west!!. After securing the planes at 3TE3 we were taken to the Ranch and checked into "The Big House" i.e the old Ranch house.

The weather the three days we were there was clear, dry, and cool (30 at night and 55-65 during the day). We even had very light winds which I understand is unusual for this time of the year. We hiked the "five tanks" and the nature trails around the ranch headquarters, enjoyed Victors incredible cooking, and had cloudless star filled nights around the outside fire pit. The stars were even better that I remembered and Jeff/Karen kept commenting on the fact that the sky is just as dark and the stars just as bright all the way down to the horizon as they are directly overhead--quite a difference from less remote locations with man made lighting on the horizon.

Victor came out to the fire pit to join us Tuesday evening after our dinner of green chile enchiladas, rice, beans, and homemade chocolate cake. Victor was not going to be cooking Wed evening (his day off). Knowing this and having heard my stories of Victors wonderful fruit cobblers, Karen told him that she was disappointed as she had been looking forward to his famous cobbler. Victor asked Jeff/Karen what kind of cobbler they liked after which he disappeared. Fifteen minutes later he came back with a 12" Dutch oven filled with cobbler fixin"s. He raked some red hot coals out of the fire pit and cooked the pie in the dutch oven on the spot. Let me tell you -- it was delicious and we made pigs of ourselves!!!!!

The three days went by too fast and on Thursday we took off from 3TE3 into yet another day of clear skys, cool temps, and light winds. We had tail winds again flying back to Bulverde-we were sitting on the ramp in front of our hangar in 1:42.

Another wonderful experience at BBRSP--hope all of you can some day enjoy it!!

Cheers,

db

Dave, check your PMs

I am saddened to hear of this "event" and will also inquire to the State Parks Service as to what is behind this.

Dave (and others),
If you want to comment, I recommend directing them to Mr. Carter Smith (see my previous note for his information). I've sent a PM to Chase and Dave providing a little more information on why I am recommending this approach.

Back