What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronic Ignition (LASAR) leaning for T/O???

What is the proper pre-take off leaning requirements / techniques for a LASAR EI system at or above 4000 msl? Should I be running FULL RICH?

Last edited:
Greetings Jerry,

There is a timer which starts when the system is powered up, and it runs for 15 minutes. It is not restarted by the mag check. This timer prevents ignition timing advance from occurring during the first 15 minutes to allow for climbs. Also, unless you changed some firmware or hardware (not sure which controls this) or added some custom feature, I believe the advance limit due to cht doesn't start until the cht is 450. When this limit is hit, the electronic system is still controlling, but the advance goes to baseline.

Somewhere here I thought there is a thread going into more detail about this, but I couldn't find it just yet.

Regarding your question of mixture, somewhere in the 4000' msl range and above one should be leaning a bit for takeoff. If runway length allows, you can take off with full rich, which should help your cht's a lot - just be aware that power is less. There are a lot of guys with a lot more higher altitude takeoff experience than I who hopefully will chime in. I don't think the Lasar is a factor, unless you are doing touch and goes or taxi backs (15 minute timer not going).

Back