What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Savannah, GA?

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
I'm going to be in Savannah, GA for two weeks, arriving on Sunday Feb. 24th. I expect to be working long hours during the week, but I may have a free day on the weekend of March 1-2. If I have any free time, I would be interested in meeting up with any local RVers.

Have you been to Sav'h before?

If not (and if you like to walk and have a passing interest in history) go to the visitor's center and buy the small pamphlets for the 2 self guided walking tours.

Downtown Sav'h is a real gem and great town to walk around in.

35 minutes south

Kevin: Come visit us at Eagle Neck Airpark about 35-40 minutes south of Savannah. We are easy to find and there are two flying 8's, a 9A, and a 9A under construction. Glad to show you around.

Be careful....

.....where you walk alone, though. Stay in well-lighted areas with other people around. Ask me how I know.

Send a PM upon your arrival since we're only 20 RV minutes from Savannah.

Regards,

How long ago was this? In the 80's I can see where you might want to be careful. In recent years tourism has been a big money maker. Everyone in Savannah tries to make your stay a pleasant one. I've walked through the restored "projects" with my wife after midnight and did not fear an attack.

I'd say as long as you are in the historic district you are safe any time of day or night. But maybe I'm just a city boy. :)

.....where you walk alone, though. Stay in well-lighted areas with other people around. Ask me how I know.

Send a PM upon your arrival since we're only 20 RV minutes from Savannah.

Regards,

I'm going to be in Savannah, GA for two weeks, arriving on Sunday Feb. 24th. I expect to be working long hours during the week, but I may have a free day on the weekend of March 1-2. If I have any free time, I would be interested in meeting up with any local RVers.

Where are you staying? Give me a call at 912-897-9093 and we can meet up somewhere.

I'll have a better handle on my schedule after we arrive and get a couple of days work under our belt. Once I have an idea of when I might have free time, I'll contact build9A, Pierre and Todd.

I'm not sure yet which hotel we'll be in, as it was arranged by our project manager, and he is incommunicado. But supposedly it is in the downtown area, whatever that means.

visit

I try to get rv'ers down to the brewery for an official 'welcome to savannah' visit. . .

Kevin: Come visit us at Eagle Neck Airpark about 35-40 minutes south of Savannah. We are easy to find and there are two flying 8's, a 9A, and a 9A under construction. Glad to show you around.
I arrived safely on Sunday, but my luggage didn't finish the trip until early Monday morning. I was hoping that my schedule would become clear on Monday, but the dust didn't settle until today. The way things currently look the only free time I will have is on Sunday, March 2nd. I may try to come down to Eagle Neck Airpark. Would Sunday afternoon be a good time to find any RVers around?

I had hoped to have some time in one or more evenings during the week, to possibly meet up with someone. But it is clear that this won't happen this week, nor the first half of next week.

Savannah certainly is a beautiful city. We are staying at the Marriott Courtyard on Liberty Street, and it is quite enjoyable to walk back forth between the hotel and where ever we eat each evening.

Kevin,
I have to go to Macon on Friday but I will be back that night. I will be around on Saturday and I usually go work on my plane Sunday morning. Give me a call if you have time.
Todd

RV's at Eagle Neck

There are several RV's at Eagle Neck and my buddy, Jack Eckdahl has a -9A next to his house on the south end of the runway. At least a couple of -8's, an -8A and a -9A under construction. I'll try and see you there Sunday afternoon.

Regards,

I arrived safely on Sunday, but my luggage didn't finish the trip until early Monday morning. I was hoping that my schedule would become clear on Monday, but the dust didn't settle until today. The way things currently look the only free time I will have is on Sunday, March 2nd. I may try to come down to Eagle Neck Airpark. Would Sunday afternoon be a good time to find any RVers around?

I had hoped to have some time in one or more evenings during the week, to possibly meet up with someone. But it is clear that this won't happen this week, nor the first half of next week.

Savannah certainly is a beautiful city. We are staying at the Marriott Courtyard on Liberty Street, and it is quite enjoyable to walk back forth between the hotel and where ever we eat each evening.

Hey Kevin: Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been away from my computer and out of town. Sunday the 2nd is great, so stop by. If you are driving take I-95 south and get off at exit 67. Go about 1 mile south on Hwy 17 and then take a left on Harris Neck Road (by the Baptist Church and the smallest Church in USA). Go east approx. 3.5 miles on Harris Neck Road and cross the first bridge and turn left into Eagle Neck Neighborhood. Call me at 912-832-7078 and let me know when you think you will be here. If you are flying in we are 1GA0, 123.00 freq. 3700 ft. paved. Here's the website http://eagleneck.org/

Pierre: Hope you can stop by as well. take care, Jack

Last edited:
Hey Kevin: Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been away from my computer and out of town. Sunday the 2nd is great, so stop by.
I talked to John, the flight test engineer that I am sharing a car with, and he is quite happy to come down to Eagle Neck with me on Sunday. We'll hit the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in the morning, have lunch somewhere, and drive down after lunch. Estimated arrival time between 1:30 and 2:00 PM, plus or minus the usual deltas. I'll call on Sunday when I have a better estimate.

Kevin: I work at Gulfstream, but I've been out of the country for two weeks. Just saw your post. We're up at Ridgeland Airport (3J1) about 35 minutes north of the Savannah Airport. I'm building an F1 Rocket and my hangar mate is building an RV-9. Todd Sweeny (who has posted a couple of times) is also a hangar mate of ours, but his RV-10 is not finished yet either and so they have not moved it to Ridgeland yet. There is also a flying RV-4 and a flying RV-9 here as well as a Storch and a stack of vintage aircraft and a glider club. For more info, look at www.racetoridgeland.com. We put on a fly-in in May each year (May 3, this year) and the website has the details, just in case you are back in the area.

Best day at Ridgeland is usually Saturday, especially from 0900 to 1500 or so, but if the weather is nice and especially if the weather is bad on Saturday, Sunday is usually hopping too. Call me at Gulfstream at 912 965 4903.

Lee...

Best day at Ridgeland is usually Saturday, especially from 0900 to 1500 or so, but if the weather is nice and especially if the weather is bad on Saturday, Sunday is usually hopping too. Call me at Gulfstream at 912 965 4903.
Hi Lee,

I doubt Saturday will work, as we are supposed to fly our first test flight on GV 501. I suspect the brief, flight and debrief will take most of the day.

Kevin,
Call me on Sunday when you are on you way to the Mighty Eigth. My plane is less than a mile from there and I can meet you for lunch. 912-897-9093.
Todd

Well, work is work! Sorry to have missed you... maybe next time. Our little airport is usually pretty busy and a lot of fun on Saturdays with nice weather.

Best wishes and thanks for all the information you've provided on your site in and this one in the past. I've liberally referenced your site many times!

Best regards,

Lee...

Estimated arrival time between 1:30 and 2:00 PM, plus or minus the usual deltas. I'll call on Sunday when I have a better estimate.
I'll be visiting Todd's RV-10 project mid-day, and I need to take John, my flight test engineer back to the hotel, as he has decided not to come down to Eagle Neck. I've got another stop I may make too. All this will push my arrival time at Eagle Neck a bit later, perhaps between 2:00 and 3:00 on Sunday.

Kevin,
I can probably take John back to your hotel. I drive right by it on the way home. It will save you a half hour.
Todd

Today was a very busy, but enjoyable day. First we visited the Mighty Eighth Museum, which does a very nice job of explaining the history of the 8th Air Force. Then I met with Todd Swezey to see his RV-10 project. He has a very nice looking aircraft, and he seems to fully understand the risks inherent in using an unproven engine and propeller. I'm looking forward to reading about his first flight.

Then I drove down to the Eagle Neck Airpark, and met Jack Eckdahl, Wayne ?, someone with a beautiful RV-8A whose name I have already forgotten (my head is full), and Pierre Smith. Eagle Neck looks like a very nice place to live, if you like airplanes and sand flys. Thanks Jack for the tour.

Nice to meet you

Today was a very busy, but enjoyable day. First we visited the Mighty Eighth Museum, which does a very nice job of explaining the history of the 8th Air Force. Then I met with Todd Swezey to see his RV-10 project. He has a very nice looking aircraft, and he seems to fully understand the risks inherent in using an unproven engine and propeller. I'm looking forward to reading about his first flight.

Then I drove down to the Eagle Neck Airpark, and met Jack Eckdahl, Wayne ?, someone with a beautiful RV-8A whose name I have already forgotten (my head is full), and Pierre Smith. Eagle Neck looks like a very nice place to live, if you like airplanes and sand flys. Thanks Jack for the tour.

We were glad you could stop by for a visit. Eagle Neck is a great place to live even with the sand gnats. Hope to see your first flight report soon. Take care and come back again anytime. Jack

Back