What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BECKER TRANSPONDER "E10" ERROR MESSAGE

Glenn

I'm New Here
Has anyone that has a Becker ATC 4401 transponder ever received a "E10" error message before, and if so, how did you remedy this?

Per the Becker manual;

(4) In case of a failure appears the report e.g. “E10” in the top line of the
display. Switch OFF the transponder at such “E” fault in dications.

Does not sound good.

Has anyone that has a Becker ATC 4401 transponder ever received a "E10" error message before, and if so, how did you remedy this?

I had the "E10" error code recently.

The unit was sent to the Florida repair shop at Maramar and repaired after parts were shipped in from Germany. I believe the part was the "board". The cost was zero, it was a warantee item even though the unit was 4 years old. If there is a delay in getting it fixed, ask for a loaner. They sent one to me at no cost except return shipping.

I have received the "E10" message ever since I installed the Becker transponder into my aircraft. When I take it out and have it bench tested, it works 100%.

I have tried two types of antenna and 3 sets of co-axial cable of different lengths. With the one length of cable, the error comes up straight away, whereas with other length, the error doesn't come up as often.

It make me the that, through a process of trial and error, I must find the exact length of cable to use that won't present an error on the transponder.

Have some excellent news after going through quite a frustrating month and a half to sort out this problem.

To cut a long story short, I tried using a brand new piece of aluminium (without any paint on), as the ground plane, and it seems to work 100% now!!!

I never suspected that the previous ground plane was no good, as it came out of a previous aircraft where a transponder had been fitted. It had a layer of paint over it, (although not very thick) and although I had tried cleaning the contact points, there was still lots of paint on it. (I had even tried to earth the previous ground plane to the aircraft's earth, but even this didn't work previously).

I flew today for about 1 hour, and didn't receive a single error code. Can't believe it. Hopefully the issue is sorted out now. Even flew in controlled airspace and ATC were very happy with what they saw on their screens.

It's my birthday today, so that came as a nice present.

Hopefully this is the end of the matter. Thanks for both your inputs and time to respond. The only time I receive an error code now, is if I touch the antenna when the transponder is on (I was told this is perfectly normal as my body then interferes with the antenna system).

Kind regards, and thanks once again.

BAD NEWS...After flying for 1 hour a couple of days ago, and thinking I had sorted out the problem, I received the "E10" message again on today's flight. Thought I had sorted it out...:mad::mad::mad:

Back