What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How well does the RV-8 fly?

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
As an aspiring RV-8 builder with a lot of time to read and no money or garage with which to build, I?m trying to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible so that when the day comes, I?ll have the benefit of learning from those who have gone before me.

I?m sure most of you are familiar with Randy Lervold?s RV-8.com site (one of my favorites). Randy sold his RV-8 and is now building a single seat RV-3. While I know I?d never be happy with a single seater, I felt Randy wasn?t entirely happy with the way the RV-8 flew based on his explanation of why he chose to sell his RV-8 and build the RV-3. He comments on the RV-8?s handling and performance when flying solo and with an average sized backseater. I?ve paraphrased a bit, but here are some of Randy?s comments about why he?d prefer the RV-3 vs. the RV-8:

?You never have to put up with?having too forward a CG when flying solo. That climb to 10,000 feet that seems to take no time when solo all of a sudden takes much longer two up. Then there's the way the plane lights delicately onto the runway when solo as opposed to solidly arriving when dual. And the plane just never feels right with someone back there unless they were a kid or a small woman.?

This has got me wondering. Have any of you had similar experiences? Do you find it difficult to stay in proper CG while solo? Do you find that a 200lb backseater significantly degrades performance? Do you see an appreciable difference in a/c handling when landing solo vs. with a passenger?

I realize all a/c handle differently depending upon how they?re loaded (ie, the CRJ floats when landing light and climbs like a pig when heavy) but I haven't heard too many negative comments about the flying qualities and characteristics of the RV-8. After seeing how much effort Randy put into building his first plane, I was rather surprised to read his comments and see that it's been sold. I realize too that Randy was anxious to build again for the enjoyment of building, but his comments have got me thinking.

I?d like to get some feedback from other RV-8 pilots.

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Have any of you had similar experiences? Do you find it difficult to stay in proper CG while solo? Do you find that a 200lb backseater significantly degrades performance? Do you see an appreciable difference in a/c handling when landing solo vs. with a passenger?

I just started flying my RV8, and can offer one opinion.

An RV with two adults on board is more pleasant and exhilarating to fly than almost anything else available (I suspect an F/A-18 would be better, but I'm unlikely to find out).

The airplane is of course more fun when solo, because it is gratuitously overpowered, but even when dual the takeoff performance is startling by GA standards.

Considering that a 200# backseater is approaching 20% of a typical RV-8 empty weight, the airplane is more tolerant of aft C of G conditions than I expected.

I do use an AOA instrument for approaches, which helps a lot with varying gross weight.

My hangarmate is a high-time ATP/ex-military airline captain who has owned 15 or so airplanes, including Cubs, Cessna 185, warbirds, etc and says the RV-8 is by far his favorite.

Go find somebody to give you a back-seat ride, which is the worst case fun/handling scenario, and I think you'll quit worrying about it

James Freeman

Air UPSer said:
Have any of you had similar experiences? Do you find it difficult to stay in proper CG while solo? Do you find that a 200lb backseater significantly degrades performance? Do you see an appreciable difference in a/c handling when landing solo vs. with a passenger?
Hi Brad

As someone who flies his -8 heavier than most, I can say than I am still more than happy wth its handling and performance. I'm 6'4", over 300 lbs, my wife is 150 lbs, ad we just went on our first "away" trip this week in the -8. With full fuel, our luggage for the week, some emergency tools, aircraft documentation, water bottles, etc, we were probably 1840 lbs (a little over gross). OAT was around 87 deg F, and we still got off in around 1200' (not realy measuring, just a guess), and climbed at 1100'/min. This is with an IO-360 and a Catto FP prop.

Yes, the airplane feels lighter and performs better solo, but you will never match the gross weight performance of the -8 with a spam can of the equivalent power.

I put my battery in back, have a Catto FP prop (18 lbs I think), and do not have a vacuum system (I have a Dynon), so the empty weight of the airplane is 1064 lbs, and it is not nose heavy. Sure, if you put the battery in front, have a vacuum system, and use an IO-360 with a Hartzell CS prop, the story will be different, but I still think you'll love it one way or another ;-)

Cheers

How does an RV-8 fly?

Like a little fighter plane! I consider it the perfect homebuilt, and the pick of the RV litter! The foward and aft cargo compartments make maintaining CG a brease. I have carried a 250lb pax and the climb performance was still impressive! I have the heavy I0360A1B6 and a Hartzell, inverted oil and fuel, so my 8 would be considered nose heavy. The only negative characteristic is the need to use alot of trim between 200 mph+ and 75 mph on final with full flaps. The lighter 0360 (30lbs less) has a much smaller trim change.

Do youself a favor, Don't let anyone talk you out of centerline seating. Install a Lycoming, ECI, or Superior 0360 and a C/S prop (I like the Hartzell). Put the battery in the back, and you will have a awesome airplane when you are done, and you will be the envy of the other pilots at your field!

Danny King
Beautiful Doll 80434

Brad,

Let me set the record straight... I was in no way unhappy with my RV-8! You've received some good responses from the others who basically say "it's a great airplane, way better than ANY spam can", and I agree completely. It does indeed provide a surprising CG window which therefore makes it very useful as well. But c'mon, admit it, who among us doesn't want it even better? Even guys with 500 hp Corvettes want them faster, go figure.

In retrospect I think the most important advice I can give any RV-8 builder is to not let the CG end up too far forward. This means either put a prop lighter than a Hartzell on or put your battery in the back.

I've been slacking this summer, time to get back into the garage and get my -3B flying.

Cheers!

Back