What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jabiru

Phyrcooler

Well Known Member
I noticed today that the Jabiru home webpage (Australia) has been further updated with more information about their 8 cylinder 5100 (5100cc/320 CU). (A couple weeks ago their site advised it was available again). It is rated at 170 hp. continuous @ 2700 rpm, 180 hp. intermittent @3000 rpm. Installed weight is 264 lbs. including exhaust. They are also reporting a full FWF kit for the 6,7 and 9, including 'A' models. But no -8.

Be interesting to see some of these installed. I think it might make for a nice motor for the -7/-9. I understand that the 6 cyl. 3300 is not only smooth, but is pretty sweet sounding to boot. I'd like to hear one of these 8 cylinders run!

I've not heard of any "issues" in a while, so maybe they have the 2200 and 3300's dialed in. I would kind of like to see Van's explore the 3300 for the RV-12.

Anyway... something interesting for our alternate audience. :D

DJ

Link here: http://www.jabiru.net.au/

Last edited:
5100 cc is about 320 cu in, not 200. There was an -8 (I think) here a couple of years ago or so with that engine installed. It ran well on the ground but didn't develop rated power while flying. Also, a replica Spitfire was developed especially for that engine, but they had to change to another due to some issues, probably the same as with the -8?

Maybe Jabiru has sorted out all the issues now, and start producing it again.

Interesting. I looked at this engine a couple years ago, and it had cooling issues. That was the problem with the installed and flying versions. If they have this figured out with the new fins, it could be a viable option.

BTW...I think their info page is a copy of the 3300 page, and they forgot to change the cu from 200 to the 5100's 310cu.

:cool:

I flew a friends Jabiru 3300 powered Sonex a few times and was very impressed with the engine. Quick starting and very smooth running. I think the 5100 would be worth checking out. If I remember correctly, the engine ran at a higher rpm setting than I'm used to...but it was designed for this, and operates quite well at this power setting.

Jab 5100

I flew the factory RV-6 with the Jab 5100 and FP prop in it some time ago. It was very smooth and simple to operate - turn the key and go, no manual mixture control to fiddle with. Very smooth cf. my 180hp RV-4, and the performance seemed to indicate the quoted hp. The heads were modified with more cooling fin area some time ago, but like all aircooled engines, good installation and baffling/oil cooler ducting is important. A CS prop and inverted oil system aren't an option with them, but for a basic light RV I'd certainly use one.

Bill,

Who did you send an email to? I emailed Jabiru in OZ on Monday this week, and haven't seen a response yet...

I've email Jabiru USA in the past, and they are pretty good about getting back to me. I know they say the 5100 is not available yet...wonder if that's just the US? Available in OZ?:confused:

What is the advantage of the Jabiru over a standard Lycontinental? Not being argumentative - really just asking the question. In my mind the only reason to get away from "tried and true" is to get something better, or equal but cheaper. To my personal value system, I'm not going to get away from a Lycoming unless I can get away from air cooling by doing so. Swapping one air cooled engine for another just doesn't "click" in my mental computations. There is certainly something to be said for pure experimentation - doing it just because you can - and that's certainly reason enough to install Jabiru or anything else you choose. I'm just curious what the draw is for this engine.

What is the advantage of the Jabiru over a standard Lycontinental? Not being argumentative - really just asking the question. In my mind the only reason to get away from "tried and true" is to get something better, or equal but cheaper. To my personal value system, I'm not going to get away from a Lycoming unless I can get away from air cooling by doing so. Swapping one air cooled engine for another just doesn't "click" in my mental computations. There is certainly something to be said for pure experimentation - doing it just because you can - and that's certainly reason enough to install Jabiru or anything else you choose. I'm just curious what the draw is for this engine.

Greg -

From what I understand, the Jabiru is much smoother than the Lycoming. It's not any cheaper.

8 cylinders

An intrinsically appealing concept if all else sorts out.....

Besides, it must sound cooooooool.

It's at least 50 lbs. lighter. That's substantial in light weight aircraft.

I guess it goes back to the whole spirit of what drives change. The possibility of getting something just a little bit better. For this engine, my understanding (based on my fractional experience compared to many of you) is that it has a lighter installed weight, and as mentioned is very smooth. Oh... and I heard it sounds pretty cool too. So - to answer your questions in my way... I'd say that people are always looking for a better mouse trap.

I am a pretty conservative guy... and if I were building a 7 or 9 would be sticking with the Lycodile. I believe in the KISS principle. But I also cheer on the Sube guys or the guys that will try the Jab. Innovation is what breeds change and improvement. :)

Good questions and dialogue though.

DJ

I wanted to resurrect this thread and ask what the current situation is with the Jabiru 5100. Is it in production now? Is this a viable option for the RV7 or 9? I'm several years away from having to decide on an engine, so want to flesh out the options in advance. I know it is supposedly a "smoother" engine, but is it more fuel efficient than the comparable powered lyco? runs on mogas? Thanks

Short Answer is Yes.

I happened to sit next to the current CEO of Jabiru on a flight out of Milwauke following Oshkosh this year. She was clear that their intention was to expand the engine business and that included putting the 8cyl engine back on the product list. Recent advertising in this country suggests that this is the case.

See an old thread on the subject including some photos.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=242219&postcount=5

Another intention was to move into the RV-12 market - I did not explore this in detail since I was not certain she had a comprehensive understanding of LSA in particular in the US - I did not want to be the bearer of bad news. In view of the potential market - a small part of that action would be very nice. I would be surprised if they didn't have an RV-12 firewall forward kit (obviously not the 8 cyl) on the drawing board.

Perhaps Vans could offer Jabiru as an alternate configuration. It is always a good strategy to have alternate suppliers - kinda helps the negotiations and provides a level of insurance.

For the record I have no experience with these engines and no association with the company. They are very popular here in Australia as are their aircraft - I do wish them well.

Doug Gray

Back