What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heavy Wing

brayski98

Well Known Member
I have done some research on this site and read through the postings regarding a heavy wing, but I have another question.
I bought a flying RV that is left wing heavy. As you would expect, it is worse when I fly alone. Last night I tried to swing the roll trim all the way over, but it still had a slight roll if I let go of the stick. I just sent an email to the previous owner to see if he had noticed that.
Is it possible that the springs are no longer equal such that one spring is worn out? This plane was completed in 1993. Other than this it flys great.
I was tempted to remove the trim springs and go fly to see what characteristics it has. Other ideas would be appreciated.

The aileron trim is not intended to correct a heavy wing resulting form misrigging.
Van's site has a bulletin to assist builders in addressing a heavy wing issue, with steps to follow in a certain order.
BillBrooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A slowwwwww build

Van's PDF

I read Van's directions and I assume that I need to disconnect the roll trim springs before trying this out.

I'm just a little surprised because the airplane has 600 hours on it. There is a rudder trim tab attached. I don't know if it needs to be changed, or left alone.

There is a rudder trim tab attached. I don't know if it needs to be changed, or left alone.
When trimming a plane everything needs to be set to "factory specks" or in our case according to the plans. Only from there can you make the proper adjustments to actually trim the plane. It may be that setting it up as directed in the plans will fix the problem. (hope springs eternal) If it doesn't then, assuming the flaps are properly set the ailerons are next to be trimmed then lastly the rudder to center the ball.
I am no genius on this but having trimmed a Cessna or two from the instructions on the Cessna Pilots Association site the above seems to be the sequence of events to come to a logical conclusion (under the supervision of an A&P of course when working on a certified spam can). Nothing is tweaked until the plane is set to the zero point per the plans.
As CPA says "Trim is the key to speed."
Hope this helps.

Back