What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SP200 Handheld

Brantel

Well Known Member
I know most of us think of the handhelds as for backup use only but never the less here is my experience with Sporty's SP-200 radio.

This radio has good transmission and reception range but do not purchase The SP-200 radio if you care anything about the following:

1. Poor noise rejection. This unit will pick up interferance from anything! Don't even think about trying to use it near a computer or in your vehicle. The ANL and AGC circuitry does not work or is very poor.

2. Poor off channel rejection. Tune to any frequency with a signal and you can tune two or three channels to each side of the center frequency and still hear the original reception. This is most likely associated with #1.

3. Poor squelch circuitry. The squelch is marginal at best in that it never fully squelches the static. When you wear headphones its almost as if you have no squelch at all even with the volume turned way down. Also due to the problems with #1, sometimes you can't get it to squelch at all. Even with the squelch wide open, the high noise and interferance prevents the radio from being squelched.

I recieved this as a christmas gift. Tried it out and found the issues above so I contacted the customer service department. They in turn contacted the technicians that service these radios and I was assured that this performance was not normal. They offered to replace the unit and sent a call tag with an RGA. Upon receiving the unit, someone else called me back and stated that these radios all have these traits and that there was nothing they could do about it. They sent me a new one with a different serial number and it has the same if not worse issues.

The only reason to keep this thing is because of the LOC function that no other radio in this class has. The review's they post on their site for this radio are biased, limited to the positive and you cannot add your own review. They must have paid off the magazine that promotes this as the best radio in its class.

Last edited:
Handheld Review

Thanks for the review-I've been looking at handhelds online this week.

Any reviews out there for the Icom A24 (or other brand) with a Nav function?

MIke

Back