What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NOAA posts 2007 stats on 406Mhz PLBs

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
Full story at: http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080117_sarsat.html

Highlights:
"Armed with personal locator beacons to send a distress signal, 353 people were rescued in the United States and its surrounding waters in 2007 from potentially life-threatening emergencies. These signals were transmitted to rescue teams via a NOAA environmental satellite more commonly known for providing information to weather forecasters."

And,
"Of the 353 rescues for 2007, 235 people were saved at sea, 30 were rescued from downed aircraft, and 88 were saved with help from their PLBs ? the highest total since PLBs became operational nationwide in 2003. The total rescues in 2007 mark an increase from 272 the previous year."

And,
"He added the number of beacon registrations in 2007 climbed to 29,710 compared with 23,383 in 2006.

Urgency Noted in Changeover to 406 Frequency

Older emergency beacons, which operate on the 121.5 and 243 megahertz frequencies, will be phased out by early 2009, when 406 megahertz beacons will become the new standard. A key advantage of some the 406 megahertz beacons is they use Global Positioning System technology for instant detection, leading to faster rescues.

All of the rescues in 2007 from emergency locator transmitters carried on planes, used the older 121.5 MHz frequency. But beginning February 1, 2009, this 121.5 MHz signal will not be processed. ?It?s critical that everyone gets the message now to make the switch to the 406 MHz beacons,? added O?Conners."

Timely thread Louise. I was just looking at buying a SPOT. I do alot of CC over some pretty rough terrain and I've always though about "what happenes if". There are several people still missing and I "wonder what if".

What is the better system to get a PLB or SPOT?

PLB costs $550
Spot costs $150 with a $99/YR subscription.

Last edited:
PLB or Spot

For the money and safety I think the PLB is better. I bought a McMurdo Fastfind Plus with GPS from:

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-loc...urdo_pains_wessex_fastfind_plus.htm?E+scstore

And mounted it on a little shelf I built next to the front windshield / glareshield. I can easly reach it to activate it the moment that I know there is an emergancy landing about to happen. In addition, I can take it out of the airplane if I survive the crash and carry it with me if I need to walk out and re-send a signel to let them know where I am at.

I was lucky, I ordered my PLB before January 1 and got a 5 year battary replacement coupon with it so the cost is a flat amount for the first 10 years, which comes out to $55.00 per year.

Is there a subscription cost for a PLB? I can't find any.

I would lean towards a model that uses "AA" batteries.

Last edited:
Is there a subscription cost for a PLB?...
There is no subscription cost for a PLB. The relative cost of the two devices would depend on the cost of the device plus the service level of the SPOT and battery usage of the SPOT versus the battery costs of the PLB over time. I don't believe any PLB uses individual AA cells. Mine has two sets of 4 Lithium ion AA cells that are packaged in shrink plastic with wiring and plugs.

The tracking capabilities of the SPOT, at additional cost, can be a nice feature IF someone is watching. If someone has access to the tracking data it could even help in an accident where one was unable to trigger the emergency beacon. I think the tracking ability and ability to send position reports are also an Achilles Heel of the SPOT. Those capabilities mean that there is battery usage which means that usage needs to be kept track of and/or spare batteries must always be carried if it is to be of use in an emergency. One would wonder if human error might mean there is no battery power, just when it would be needed.

With a PLB, which is never used except for brief tests or in a dire emergency, there is a very high level of confidence that it would work when needed, as long as the batteries are replaced on schedule (every five years on mine).

No subscription

Is there a subscription cost for a PLB? I can't find any.

I would lean towards a model that uses "AA" batteries.

No subscription cost... registration with the NOAA is free....

It seems they all use custom Lithium type battery packs.... probably due to the shelf life and temperature range issues...

I haven't seen an AA battery version....

gil A - also have a McMurdo

Since web data updates are free and easy - I let mine to neighbor ferriying a Yak across the country - I just changed the data to his phone numbers and tail number for that week...

Misconceptions on 121.5 MHz

The part about 121.5 MHz signals not being processed only means via satellite. Aircraft can still monitor 121.5 MHz and I suspect that SAR units will keep that capability.

Several years ago I did buy a GPS enabled 406 MHz unit. If I did not have that I probably would get the Spot system.

Last edited:
snip...The tracking capabilities of the SPOT, at additional cost, can be a nice feature IF someone is watching. ...snip

Larry is spot on (pun) with this statement. I've provided my Spot username/password to about ten of my friends (across multiple time zones) that I trust and they can monitor my location during trips from any computer with Internet access. They usually know when I'm starting on a cross country flight, anyway, so this is just one more tool for us to use.

b,
dr

They all are 121.5

The part about 121.5 MHz signals not being processed only means via satellite. Aircraft can still monitor 121.5 MHz and I suspect that SAR units will keep that capability.

Several years ago I did buy a GPS enabled 406 MHz unit. If I did not have that I probably would get the Spot system.

Actually, the PLB's transmit most of the time on 121.5/243 MHz... the 406 is a burst every 30 seconds IIRC....

The 121.5 is still left in there for short range homing...

gil A

PLB and SPOT Reviews

Doug Ritter's "Equipped to Survive" website www.equipped.org contains reviews of various PLBs at:

http://www.equippedtosurvive.com/406_beacon_test2_toc.htm

The same site has a review of the SPOT messenger at:

http://www.equippedtosurvive.com/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm

Note the link at the top of the SPOT review for the latest update.

Doug Ritter's site also has reviews of other gear, including life vests, survival kits, flashlights, knives etc. as well as recommended equipment lists for those building their own kits.

If it's not strapped on, you won't have it after the crash...

wow

and a burst every 30 seconds is enough to get to the satellites?

My Wife is retrained before every XC to get the PLB squarking without intervention from me...If the unthinkable happens I would hope to have a lock before we hit the ground.

Frank

It's a bit longer...

and a burst every 30 seconds is enough to get to the satellites?
Frank

My memory was a little off...:) It's around every 50 seconds.

EPIRB vs. PLB
This evaluation tested both EPIRBs and PLBs. Both transmit a 5 Watt digital burst of approximately 0.5 seconds duration approximately every 50 seconds. This period is randomly distributed between 47.5 to 52.5 seconds to prevent multiple beacon transmissions from interfering with each other. Both transmit an equivalent digital message. However, there are notable differences between the two types of beacons. EPIRBs are meant to be carried on and deployed from a marine vessel; PLBs are meant to be carried by a person and deployed by an individual in distress. EPIRBs are intended to be used only in a marine environment; PLBs may be used on land or in a marine environment, but are only tested during certification in a land environment. As such, with the exception of the baseline tests, EPIRBs were tested only in the marine environment.

Lots and lots of data on how they work and practical testing here...

http://www.equipped.org/406_beacon_test_background.htm

gil A

SPOT FAQ

There is a FAQ on what the SPOT stuff can/can't do at (in case anyone didn't know about it):

http://www.itzcomm.com/SPOT/pdfs/SPOTfaqs.pdf

b,
dr

I just want to make sure I understand this, as my wife and I have talked about getting one of these. When in track mode is there a file saved somewhere that can be reviewed at some future point in time? Or are we counting on someone to be in a "dispatch center" type mode where they are sitting in front of the computer as you are making a trip? The other situation I'm wondering about is if you were to ditch in the water or something happen so that an ELT etc. would not be able to transmit, would someone be able to access the tracking file to see where you were before the bird sunk/burned?

Thanks

I just want to make sure I understand this, as my wife and I have talked about getting one of these. When in track mode is there a file saved somewhere that can be reviewed at some future point in time?
Thanks

Deven, your track is posted on a web site that any of your friends can access if you give them your user name and pass code. My friends are all going to share this info so many people will have access.

As I get more information on this subject here is something to consider when debating the question of getting a PLB. I believe that most if not all PLBs also transmit on 121.5 so ground and air (Civil Air Patrol) SAR units can home in on you. One of the things we train for is the possibility that the one or all of the crew may will have left the crash site. There are many scenarios that this could happen such as a forced landing where the pilot and/or another crew members walk away looking for help or crash land in a very inhospitable place and need to leave the scene. It may not always be possible to snatch the plane mounted ELT from the fuselage and if so there may be no antenna to hook up to it.

The SPOT is something I am still researching so it may also be a good alternative to this scenario except that local SAR units will not be able to home in on you meaning you hope that they have a good communications system to get GPS fixes from mission base. Our Wing Ground SAR coordinator is looking at the SPOT to help keep track of the ground search teams. Our communications especially in the W.MD mountains are spotty from hand helds. We also work with VA, WV, and PA Wings in the mountains. Not big by Western measurements but we have our share of 3-4000 footers and all are covered by trees making them tough search areas.

Legal Requirements?

I am interested in the portable PLBs, but I'm not sure about the legal requirements for an "automatic" elt. I checked the CFRs tonight, and it looks like for general aviation we are ok using a plb. Do any of you have a better idea about what is actually required to keep our aircraft legal?

Capflyer, why worry about Spot transmitting a 121.5 MHz signal when it (and GPS enabled PLBs) transmit your location to within meters. Both of these units take the "S" out of "SAR."

Belt and Suspenders

SPOT sends out a tracking signal every ten minutes (assuming SPOTcasting subscription and everything works) to record waypoints. In other words, your last known position could be as much as ten minutes old. Ten minutes in an RV can be a fairly large search area. Certainly better than a poke in the eye with sharp stick in terms of a SAR starting point, but a (potentially difficult, depending on terrain, weather, etc.) search may still be required unless you're able to hit the 911 button after the crash.

PLB sends out no periodic tracking signal, so the same search issues apply (with no starting point) unless you're able to activate the PLB after a crash.

Not sure yet which one I'll buy, but one of these (or a replacement technology) will be strapped on where I can reach it if I'm upside down in the harness as my SAR "belt", while the ELT and my survival kit will be my SAR "suspenders."

Should add that Paul Dye has PLB activation on his emergency checklist (while still in the air)...good idea IMHO.

Mike

Last edited:
Capflyer, why worry about Spot transmitting a 121.5 MHz signal when it (and GPS enabled PLBs) transmit your location to within meters. Both of these units take the "S" out of "SAR."

I am still researching the benefits of SPOT and have not made up my mind yet. You raise a legitimate point but comparing the two based on only this the PLB wins hands down because it has one extra feature. If the point here is to have an additional tool to be found then why not go with what gives the most options and capabilities. This is where I and hopefully everyone will focus on in choosing the best tool to do this.

Here are 2 reviews I found that concerns me on Spot's coverage: http://www.idealog.us/2008/01/spot-gps-review.html and
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2008-01-02-spot-tracker_N.htm
Even their own commercial says you need a clear area to the sky for it to work. This is where it might help to have that 121.5 homing signal.

Take a Look at 406MHz ELT's

Folks - I've read through this thread and have found a big item missing - discussion of 406MHz ELT's. Our old 121.5MHz ELT's won't die at the end of Jan '09, just the satellites that listen to them. Overflying aircraft, SAR teams, etc, will still be listening in on 121.5 because nobody has a 406MHz tracker. But a 406MHz ELT offers both the 121.5MHz signal to allow local searches, as well as the 406MHz signal to allow those searchers to know where to begin their search. As has been noted in prior posts, starting the search in the right place and having a small search area are of vital importance.

With that having been said, the big thing that's missing from the alternatives discussed above, as well as our 121.5MHz ELT's is alerting of centralized SAR command via automatic activation upon impact. Our current ELT's have automatic activation, but after Jan 09 they won't automatically alert SAR headquarters since there won't be any satellites listening for them. PLB's and SPOT don't feature any form of automatic activation on impact. In a CFIT-type accident or a case of pilot incapacitation, you've got nothing working to alert SAR when you're injured and most in need of a quick rescue. Our current generation of ELT's doesn't have a stellar record for reliability, but they still automatically activate some of the time, and that's far better than a PLB or SPOT will do in this regard.

I've looked at the factors involved and have made my own tradeoff decision. My 406MHz ELT should be delivered in two weeks and will be installed shortly thereafter. This just makes sense to me.

For a "belt and suspenders" approach I'll also purchase a PLB to stow in my survival vest (once I replenish my cash supply, of course).

Also, from a uniquely Canadian perspective, recent developments at Transport Canada make it look like GA airplanes may well be mandated to carry 406MHz ELT's. That also at the moment looks like it will mean visiting/overflying aircraft will likewise have to be equipped with a 406MHz ELT. There's serious "you know what" brewing north of the border - and it could get very expensive for us GA aircraft owners.

Back