What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Copper vs Aluminum for oil pressure line

petehowell

Well Known Member
I'm going to install a mechanical, backup Oil Pressure gauge in addition to the Dynon EMS - It needs a 1/8 in line to the manifold. Is copper or Aluminum preferred for this application? If one is preferred, why? I have copper, but can get Al if it is much better.

Thanks!

Copper is more ductile and seems to be the standard of the industry. If you use a firewall fitting, a couple of #3 aeroquip hoses would be even more reliable.

Let me start with the caveat that the mechanics on this forum will know better than I. With that said, I prefer copper in instances where the tubing is not moving due to vibration. I think in your example you are going from the instrument to the manifold on the firewall? I like copper because it's tougher and will hold the flare much better, particularly in a 1/8" tube. If it vibrates, copper will work harden over time and potentially fail. However, I've seen some old airplanes that have copper tubing under the cowl with little or no problem.

I used aluminum where possible

The only place I used copper was on the primer lines where I had to silver solder nipples to the end with a butane torch. I have a complete loop in every hard line between the engine an rigid terminations.

Bob Axsom

Back