What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

X-mas Eve Fun!

petehowell

Well Known Member
Alex P and I cleared the hangar ramp and did some air to air today!

In formation:

2002418029978645317_rs.jpg

Breaking Away

2002407157564245172_rs.jpg

Start the loop:

2004210918004423678_rs.jpg

Over the top:

2002482790184847052_rs.jpg

Comin' on Down:

2002421814249310557_rs.jpg

On the way Home:

2001443750117364329_rs.jpg

OK - Time for Church. Merry Christmas Everyone!

Nice pictures

I don't have any pictures but I did the same today:D I took Queenie out for a stroll then had some good grub and a few laughs with the airport family at their little Christmas party!!
Merry Christmas everyone!!

BBQ run!

Well I didn't get to do any acro today but was able to fly with my son Kyle and do a little formation "training" with a buddy out of Zuehl - then made a 25 minute dash up to Llano (KAQO) to Coopers BBQ! Picked up three packs of pork ribs & sauce as Christmas gifts for the neighbors.

H, ho, ho!

Bob:D

Last edited:
It was a "Fun" contest

I'm not sure who had more fun - me flying loops or Pete with his fancy-dancy camera and lens.

"Ok, that one was a little blurry, let me try a different shutter speed, then come loop it again."

"If you insist..."

"Oh wait, I think the autofocus isn't capturing your plane (too fast of course). Come back for another loop."

"If you insist..."

And so it went.

It was good to get out, we've had a long streak of non-flyable weather here.

Thanks again Pete!

very slick looking machine

nice paint, what code white is that? also like the dark roll bar..

Some artsy ones

My son and I hit the hangar late one night and took some pics of Alex's plane for his Christmas gift.

2005245611108702679_rs.jpg

2005299897219348167_rs.jpg

2005233417412820098_rs.jpg

I am having a ball with the camera - kinda like building and flying an RV - always more to learn........

nice paint, what code white is that? also like the dark roll bar..

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for kind words. The white is 1995 Spectramaster LS003K. Haven't a clue what cars, if any, it matches. Dupont base/clear.

Also, thanks for noticing the black roll bar. There is also some black paint on the side skirts, to match the windscreen line. I just wanted to try to make the bubble one big canopy.

Which Camera?

Pete, nice shots, what camera are you using? Glenn

My son and I hit the hangar late one night and took some pics of Alex's plane for his Christmas gift.

2005245611108702679_rs.jpg

2005299897219348167_rs.jpg

2005233417412820098_rs.jpg

I am having a ball with the camera - kinda like building and flying an RV - always more to learn........

Thanks Glenn!

I got a Canon Rebel XTi (good prosumer digital SLR camera)this summer to shoot the kids in sports and am slowly learning how to "see creatively". Fellow Rv'er Peter Fruehling has been mentoring me. At his urging, I dropped a big chunk on a very nice lens that really allows some great shots.

I confess any good shots at this point are still very much luck, but I am learning. Digital film is cheep! ;) So I shoot 300 to get 15 decent ones.

Here is my favorite pic from this summer - I shot a bunch to get his face like this - I can use it as blackmale with girls....... I could never get shots like this with my point and shoot.

2003546414042909291_rs.jpg

NICE SHOT!

Which lens are your refering to? I recently bought a Nikon D40, and am still trying to get through the aftermarket instruction book I bought with it. So far I am on "AUTO! :D Glenn

I got a Canon Rebel XTi (good prosumer digital SLR camera)this summer to shoot the kids in sports and am slowly learning how to "see creatively". Fellow Rv'er Peter Fruehling has been mentoring me. At his urging, I dropped a big chunk on a very nice lens that really allows some great shots.

I confess any good shots at this point are still very much luck, but I am learning. Digital film is cheep! ;) So I shoot 300 to get 15 decent ones.

Here is my favorite pic from this summer - I shot a bunch to get his face like this - I can use it as blackmale with girls....... I could never get shots like this with my point and shoot.

2003546414042909291_rs.jpg

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Glenn,

Here is the lens. The price will take your breath away, but it has allowed me to get pics I never would have been able to take. I'm sure Nikon has a similar lens (and many other good ones )

2000529560842486162_rs.jpg

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

The downside is the lens is heavy - my hands got real tired following Alex doing loop-de-loops.:)

I hope Doug and some of the other guys that know a bunch more than I do will weigh in.

Peter Fruehling used this lens to take the December 2008 Van's Calendar pic of my -9A. I smile every time I see this photo........

2000682798826385251_rs.jpg

a Nikon18-200mm VR lens is the "it" lens for your d40 for someone who is still at the "auto" stage. i got the d40x with the 18-135 lens because that one was very hard to get due to demand. they are at least gettable these last few months and i wish i had shopped around till i got it. also you will find that a flash that you can bounce will improve your pictures no end. it really is astonishing. if you think this is all the camera you will have for some time i would get the sb-400. i have the sb-600 which is nice but can not be used as a slave flash with the d40. i hope that helps. dr has much more expensive equipment but i at least don't know enough to make it worth the extra cash.
leon
rv-3 preview plans being previewed
ps. this is probably post drift, sorry
merry christmas y'all i should get to bed so i don't disturb the rain deer.

Last edited:
Thanks Leon, I got the 18-55 and 55-200 with mine, but your lens sounds ideal. I probably should have spent the extra money and gotten the X model, but I think this one will do everything I need it for. I appreciate the info.

a Nikon18-200mm VR lens is the "it" lens for your d40 for someone who is still at the "auto" stage. i got the d40x with the 18-135 lens because that one was very hard to get due to demand. they are at least gettable these last few months and i wish i had shopped around till i got it. also you will find that a flash that you can bounce will improve your pictures no end. it really is astonishing. if you think this is all the camera you will have for some time i would get the sb-400. i have the sb-600 which is nice but can not be used as a slave flash with the d40. i hope that helps. dr has much more expensive equipment but i at least don't know enough to make it worth the extra cash.
leon
rv-3 preview plans being previewed
ps. this is probably post drift, sorry
merry christmas y'all i should get to bed so i don't disturb the rain deer.

I think the EF 70-200/4L USM is one of the greatest values there is in the Canon lineup when it's paired with a DSLR. That seems like a pretty slow lens, but the Canon DSLRs produce such clean high-ISO images that you can get very usable shutter speeds by cranking the ISO up to 400 or 800.

I initially bought it so I could say I have some L glass (it's the least expensive lens in the L lineup). :D But it is now my absolute favorite lens. I would like to have that 2.8 L-IS that Pete is rockin', but I don't have my RV started yet. Need that money for the airplane!

Back