What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio and Transponder Power Cables?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I bought my GTX327 and A210 from Gulf Coast Avionics who also built harnesses for them that link to each other and a Dynon and 496.

There are two each black and red ground and power leads for both the radio and transponder.

Can all four power leads be connected to the the avionics hot stud and all four ground leads to the ground stud or do I need to something more sophisticated such as twisting etc? And why are there two sets of leads for each unit?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring Avionics!

Your going to need to look at the wiring diagrams but likely one red is for the dimmer circuits and one is for power. Just a guess though without looking at the diagrams.

Bryan

I bought my GTX327 and A210 from Gulf Coast Avionics who also built harnesses for them that link to each other and a Dynon and 496.

There are two each black and red ground and power leads for both the radio and transponder.

Can all four power leads be connected to the the avionics hot stud and all four ground leads to the ground stud or do I need to something more sophisticated such as twisting etc? And why are there two sets of leads for each unit?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring Avionics!

My GTX 327 had 2 red leads. One was for power out to an encoder, etc and the other was for power in to the transponder according to the manual. Pacific Coast wired my stuff. The light dimmer wires were yellow. Check the pin outs as stated by others. I don't have an A210 so can't help there.

Single fuse/breaker

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring Avionics!

Jim,
If you take all 4 hot wires to one stud, it sounds like you would be driving both avionics boxes off a single fuse/breaker...
Not really a recommended practise...:confused:

gil A

Back