What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Open canopy or not?

sneedrv-6

Well Known Member
What is the consensus on un-latching the canopy lock on an RV-6 with a slider canopy before and off-field landing? It appears you may lose some protection by doing this but may gain ease to get out of the aircraft.

Thanks,

Jason

Who knows?

This subject may start a long thread but I think there are so many variables that the question cannot be answered. What sort of surface are you going to land on? Hard packed dirt? Water? Mud? Treetops? And are you flying a tailwheel or trike? The conventional wisdom in a production aircraft was to unlatch the door in some cases. But that assumes a door that might not open after the structure is damaged. Less likely in the case of an RV canopy.
And, from personal experience, you just might be too busy to think about the canopy latch.

John S. Clark MS, ATP, CFI
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
FAAST Team Representative
KSBA

I have to agree with John , there is probably no good single answer for all situations and you absolutely will be so busy that last hundred feet or so that you are unlikely to even think of it.

grumman

You might take a look at what Grumman recommends on their airplanes. It is similar in nature with having a sliding canopy.

sliding canopy

You might take a look at what Grumman recommends on their airplanes. It is similar in nature with having a sliding canopy.

Yes the Grumman AA-1s and 5s have slider canopys, but they are mounted differently then the RVs. There is much more surface area that the the canopy slides on for the Grummans. The RV sliders only has 3 points that it glides on. And 2 of those are rollers.

The Grumman also has a friction lock that you can use to keep the canopy locked open during flight. I'm not sure if anyone has done that kind of thing on a RV. Does anyone know?

Christopher.

should have added this detail... You are pretty sure you are going to end up upside down non-water. Or another way of asking the question would be, Do you think opening the canopy provides you with less protection with the slider opened VS closed. Even another way to ask the question:

You get in your RV with a slider (buckle up), crane picks the plane up, turns the plane upside and drops the plane from 15 feet with some added forward motion. Do you want the slider open or closed for protection. Forget about the fact it MAY add to ease of exiting after the plane stops.

THANKS

Jason
RV-6

Your real protection will come fom the roll bar and the vert. stab. Not the plexi.

But the plexi might keep grass, dirt or sand off of you as you slide to a stop. But then it might not open.

I would keep it latched

I would want to focus on the landing as much as possible. I'm not sure that unlatching the forward center latch would do anything but distract me and make the assembly less secure in its position. I cannot open the canopy until the latter part (slow) of the landing roll against the aerodynamic closure forces.

Bob Axsom

I would think any kind of rapid deceleration on landing would just slam it shut again. If you go on your back the plexiglass will probably break anyway. This situation is about the only time a high airplane is a better option. I would carry something to break the canopy just in case.

Can't open it

This topic has been discussed at length and the general consensus is that a slider cannot be opened in flight anyway and no one has apparently even done it. Several guys have installed quick release pins in the tubes that the forward rollers fit into so they can pull them out in flight and hopefully jettison the canopy. This issue came up when some of the guys who wear parachutes wanted to know if you could bail out of a -6 or -7 slider.

Regards,

Back