What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM A-210 installation for GPS freq selection

rvator51

Well Known Member
I am trying to get my Icom to connect to my GPS so I can download the gps frequencies into it and am running into installation problems.

The ICOM has a separate submini jack next to the coax antenna connector. Icom sells a cloning cable for it, but I thought I could just plug a standard submini plug into it and wire it to my GPS. With the radio out of the tray this works great. However there are two problems I ran into when the radio is back in the tray.

1. The submini jack is recessed about 1/2 inch from the back of the tray. The standard submini plug is less than 1/2 long. To jack into the plug on the back of the radio when it is installed in the tray, you need about an inch long plug or a big hole that the plug can fit thru so it can go into the jack.

2. There is no hole on the back of the tray for the submini plug to go through at all. There is a partially countersunk depression in the back of the tray at about the right position. I think this may be the correct spot but it needs to be drilled out? Or do you get a submini plug with a short 90 adapter on it so the whole jack fits inside the tray and you can bring the wire out somewhere else?

Has anyone sucessfully connected their GPS to the Icom A-210 yet? I am wondering what has to be done to make this work?

One of the neat things about the Icom radio is that it comes with a completely different backplate that can replace the existing backplate and has a 15 pin subD connector on it instead of the molex connectors. On this backplate, there is no gps submini jack. Instead Icom runs the gps wires to pins on the subD connector. I really like this subD 15 pin connector because you dont have to make a bunch of jumper wires for ground and power like you do with the standard backplate. I thought if I swapped backplates and then wired to the 15 pin subD connector, I could just use the pins on it to go to my gps and solve my problem.
However, after playing with it tonight, I found out that the standard rack doesnt have a cutout for the 15 pin subD connector. In the Icom manual, it says this backplate with the subD connector is for 3 party compatibility. So it evidently fits a competitors rack. The Icom manual doesnt say what other racks will work with the radio, but to contact your Icom dealer for information.
I started wondering what other radios have this size and shape and the only one I could think of was the Garmin SL-40. I looked at the installation manual for the SL-40 and it uses a 15 pin subD connector in the correct location. I checked and the pin outs on the SL-40 exactly match the pin-outs on the ICOM A-210 with the compatibility backplate installed.
I am going out on a limb here, but it sort of looks like the A-210 can be a slide in replacement for the SL-40 to me.

That said, does anyone have a spare SL-40 tray they will sell me so I can get my gps input to the Icom to work?

Last edited:
Tom,

I'm pretty sure my A210 had a slip of paper in the box showing where to attatch the gps lines into the standard ICOM connector. It seems that they accidently left the pinout for GPS input out of the main installation instructions. I can try and find it when I get home this evening if you want. It would save you trying to add the other connector.

Guy

Tom,

I'm pretty sure my A210 had a slip of paper in the box showing where to attatch the gps lines into the standard ICOM connector. It seems that they accidently left the pinout for GPS input out of the main installation instructions. I can try and find it when I get home this evening if you want. It would save you trying to add the other connector.

Guy

Great! I'll also look through my Icom box too.
Thanks Guy

Has anyone got their gps to talk to the Icom?

Great! I'll also look through my Icom box too.
Thanks Guy

Hi Guy,
I found the paper at lunch and hooked up the wiring per their instructions: Data out from the Garmin to pin 2 and data in to the Garmin to pin 1 of the Icom.
The radio still wont communicate with the GPS and I cant get the GPS memory channel to even show on the radio. I emailed Icom tech support and the tech from Icom said I had to have a Jepperson card installed in my GPS for it to be able to transfer frequencies. This doesnt make any sense to me as the Jeppesen database is already in my GPS. I think (hope) the Icom tech is incorrect.
Hopefully, someone has got their gps-radio interface to work and can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Handheld GPS?

I emailed Icom tech support and the tech from Icom said I had to have a Jepperson card installed in my GPS for it to be able to transfer frequencies.
I am interested in what GPS will work. Would a hand held Garmin work?

I am interested in what GPS will work. Would a hand held Garmin work?

I am using a Garmin GPS 496 handheld. The example Icom showed on the additional paper (showed how to connect a GPS to the Icom A-210. I also found it at Icom-America's knowledgebase) that Guy was talking about was for a Garmin 396 handheld. So if the 396 works, I would think the 496 would too.

Trying to find out what protocol the Icom A-210 needs and a step by step procedure to get them to communicate and how to transfer frequencies.
My garmin is currently set up for NMEA IN/NMEA OUT at 4800 baud to connect to the Dynon EFIS and to the Trio autopilot.

Last edited:
I think you may be pioneering this for all of us Tom - when you succeed, you may be the first, and can sell the information to all of us! ;)

I think you may be pioneering this for all of us Tom - when you succeed, you may be the first, and can sell the information to all of us! ;)

Thanks Paul,

I read tonight how to set up the Garmin 496 to work with the Garmin SL-40 and I think I have the wrong protocol selected. For the SL-40, the Garmin manual says to use the "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF out" protocol at 9600 baud.
I will try that setting tomorrow on the Icom. I think both the Dynon and the Trio AP will auto detect and work with the new baud rate.
If I can blunder my way into making it work, you will hear it here first, no charge. :)

It works!

I tried the "Aviation IN/NMEA and VHF out" protocol at 9600 baud on the Icom at lunch and it works! Also the 'TIS IN/NMEA and VHF out" protocol works too.
Icom shows you hooking up pin 1 of the molex connectors to the data in line on the GPS, but I am not sure why you need to or what it does. I disconnected it and the Garmin GPS 496 still works with the Icom now.
I wrote a review of how it works at:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=24221&highlight=icom

Did your Dynon and AP still work after getting the correct settings for communication between the Icom and the GPS?

Did your Dynon and AP still work after getting the correct settings for communication between the Icom and the GPS?

Hi Brian,
I snuck out from work at lunch to try it and didnt take time to see if the Dynon worked with the new protocol. The Trio AP is out getting upgraded firmware. I will let you know for sure when I try it again.

The Dynon works fine with the new settings. I have the EMS serial port set to auto for the protocol and auto for the baud rate.

A little more data

Rv4chick and I flew over to Falcon Field KFFZ to have dinner at Anzios Landing, a nice Italian resturant on the field with an aviation theme. When we took off from KDVT (Deer Valley), the Icom showed the Deer Valley Freqs in the gps memory. About 10 miles from KDVT and 15 from KFFZ, the gps frequencies changed from KDVT to KFFZ. We were closest to Scottsdale airport when they changed and Scottsdale airport frequencies never showed up. I had hit the Direct to button on the Garmin GPS 496. From this I surmise that the frequencies that are downloaded to the Icom are the frequencies from your active flight plan or direct to airport. If you dont have a direct to or flight plan set, I dont know what happens. I will test this next.

Back