What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Silver bullet - Initial report

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I have to admit, although I have talked about how well the stock tail wheel chains have worked for me on the Val for two years (and they have), I have lusted after those beautiful Silver Bullet tail wheel links every time I've seen one. When i was building, I remembered a couple of lukewarm reports on their handling characteristics, and I used those reports to justify why I was saving my money and staying with the chains. Then I had the realization a few months back that I have been flying other RV's that have them (Louise's and DR's, among others), and never noticed a difference. I guess ham-handed pilots like me just might be missing the subtelties....

Anyway, I kind of decided I could live with one, and boy, they do LOOK cool - but then I heard reports that the maker is sort of hard to reach, and patience upon ordering is a must. I put it off some more. Then Louise called me one day last week saying there was one advertised on the forums, and did I want it? "Yes!" came out of my mouth before I knew I was saying it....

It arrived in perfect condition yesterday, so this morning (since my life seems to be on hold until we decide if/when we are going to launch) I headed out to give it a try. Installation was easy - a five minute job, mostly removing the old springs. Unfortunately, since I have an API tail wheel which has a different diameter shaft than stock Van's or the Bell, I couldn't use the beautiful chrome control arm that came with it. I installed it with the stock API arm, and will cut the right side off at a later date. I quickly adjusted it by eye to be straight, and headed out for some flying.

During my taxi, I noticed, well....not much difference. Control was crisp, but because I have always kept my chains extremely tight, there was little change from before. I noticed a little need for more right rudder to track straight, which told me that my adjustment "by eye" wasn't perfect. (I fixed that as soon as it returned - one turn of the rod end, and all was well). Take-off and landing were typical non-events. If I didn't know what was back there, I'd have to guess if you asked me. But man...it sure looks pretty - a real work of aeronautical art - like a piece from the Hughes H-1!

As a side benefit, I don't have to handle those messy chains and springs anymore - all covered in exhaust and belly oil....yuck!

Bottom line - if you are used to tight chains, then you already know how it is going to handle. Yes, as people mention, if you touch the tail down with a lot of rudder in, you might be off for a bit of a jerk - but this is true if you have the chains tight as well. If you like a lot of slop in the tail wheel, this may not be for you. But it really does dress the plane up - and face it guys, doesn't your airplane deserve a Christmas present?!;)

Paul

Paul
I have been using a similiar product from from Wayne Haddath http://www.decisionlabs.com/QuickPl...F6DF4BE0484540D85257291005B7BAE/?OpenDocument for a number of years on various rockets and RVs. It is a good and reliable product and I know the vendor has units available for shipping. I probably have a total of 800 hours with these links without any problems. There are hundreds of them in service and you see them up and down the line at airshows.

Back