What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Rapids OAT probe

Craig

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about how and where to mount the GRT OAT probe. I've been through several searches here, but the threads that I found had to do with other manufacturers.

Here's a nice secure OAT probe installation from JPI:

Here's the GRT probe:

My concern is that the GRT probe is not very secure. I am hesitant to drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the wing for the probe. I'm thinking of screwing the bracket into one of the ribs out by the pitot tube. Then using RTV or proseal so that the probe can't be pushed into the wing, leaving a hole.

What do you think?

Through the right size snap bushing in the bottom of the wing, then a touch of proseal on the back side.

My Solution...

And I thought I had a good picture but I guess I don't.

I drilled a hold in the right side fuse about half way between the forward and aft spars, and about 3" up from the bottom. Insert a rubber grommet, then insert the GRT probe through the grommet. This puts the sensor head into the wing root void which should be at ambient temp, but in somewhat still air. A little proseal on the grommet and it's there for good, but easily removable.

Craig
I took an aluminum bolt, drilled it out and epoxied the sensor inside. The plastic cover comes right off the sensor so the hole is actually very small.

I then used the bolt to fill the hole I drilled in the wing for the Van's style pitot tube.

I rounded the edges of the bolt to make it look all aero and stuff, so people wouldn't ask what that bolt head is sticking out of the bottom of the wing.

Cam

I did the same as Scott. Since I installed heated pitot, I used the original pitot hole under the wing for the probe. A drop of RTV from behind keeps the probe in.

OAT.jpg

Picture from the 1st year condition inspection at 220 hrs.

Back