What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pda Mapping Software

henriquerv9

hi all,

i need to buy a gps software to put in my pda and use as GPS backup. Any opinions what?s the best on the market? so far i have seen the mountainscope (mountainscope.com) seems to be the best But i would like to hear opinios before i buy because its a little expensive (US$ 495).

I really like anywhere map. Their software includes nice auto TFR updates and it is priced reasonably $300 for just the software or $429 for a yoke mount, bluetooth GPS and the software.

I have been using AnyWhere Map for about three years and am a satisfied customer. However, if I had the choice again I would probably buy a portable Aviation GPS (i.e. Garmin 296/396).

Tommy

GPS backup

If a backup of the primary GPS is desired, I would go with a stand-alone portable GPS instead of a PDA platform. I have a few years flying experience with AnyWhereMap, and while it is generally regarded as the most full-featured of the PDA systems, it is not the best solution for a backup GPS that you can quickly pull out of a bag, punch a button or two, and have a moving map up and running. There are just too many wires to hook up and too much fiddlin' required to fire it up, especially if your primary GPS has just gone belly up. If your PDA is Bluetooth-enabled, that will eliminate some of the wiring, but you are still dealing with a Windoze system that could test your patience at a time when patience may be in short supply. :eek:

I used AnywhereMap as the primary GPS with a reliable Lowrance Airmap 100 as the "backup" and autopilot driver. GPS duties in my plane are now handled by the very nice Airmap 1000, and my GPS backup is a.....GASP......sectional chart. If the mission profile of my plane was IFR ops, the GPS backup would not be PDA-based!

Having said that, if you want GPS mapping on your PDA for whatever reason, I think you will find AnywhereMap will have the most features for the money. Version 1.7 has some really neat features for the pilot who doesn't mind operating a PC inflight and dealing with the associated hardware (GPS receiver, power cables, etc). One reason I finally removed the PDA from my plane is that you must keep the unit's battery charged or you will loose the software! This meant my plane had to stay on a charger while hangared if it wasn't going to be flown for several days. This won't be a problem, however, if you take the PDA with you and use it on a daily basis in the real world.

You might consider one of the fine, low-priced units from Lowrance or Garmin for your backup. The Lowrance Airmap 500 is a great little unit that will cost less than the PDA software and is totally self-contained.

Sam Buchanan
http://thervjournal.com

Why spend a lot of money if, in the end, you don't like what you get. I use PocketFMS (www.pocketfms.com). It is free. Map updates are free. If you donate $60 to them, they give you access to more detailed maps (forever).
Try using your PDA with PocketFMS first. If it doesn't meet your requirements, try one of the expensive ones. You may not even like using your PDA as an instrument.
Personally, PocketFMS meets my needs with one exception, and the developers are working on it. I use my PDA with a Bluetooth GPS receiver. No Wires!. And I take my PDA and GPS with me and put it in my truck and have moving map land navigation. When I get to my boat, I load up the marine software. One 'geek tool' does it all.

Greg Piney
RV8 GonnaBe Fall '05

anywheremap 3 x mountainscope 0

hi all,

its seem that anywhere map its preferred here. anyone using mountain scope to hear its opinion? does anywhere map contain elevation database? also, i may try a free version before buying... but if a decided to buy, is anyone lo longer using their software and may be interested selling it for a reasonable price?

henrique
[email protected]
RV9A CONTINENTAL IO240
PP-XRV

Yep - anywhere map has elevation data and alerts.

I agree on the 'if you aren't the kind of person to use a PDA for anything else - you are better off with a high end garmin' comments. However, if you do have other uses for a PDA - awm is a great investment.

Also, with a Garmin box you are prettymuch stuck with the features they ship with - whereas anywhere map does a good job of adding features continually.

Kevin

Last edited:
Airgator

I am using APIC from Approach Systems, and would not recommend it. I have heard good things about Anywhere map and the software from Airgator (can't remember the name right now). A couple of people at work are running NavGPS Pro and seem to like it. Aviation consumer did a review (but did not consider all of the players) they like Anywhere map and Airgator. Airgator were really friendly at Sun'n'Fun and reportedly have really good tech support.

If I was buying again I would probably get a Garmin 196 or 296. I thought I could use a stand alone bluetooth GPS running on its internal battery (should be 10 hours life), but it has to be powered to get good bluetooth performance in the RV (works OK in the car) - so I still have loads of wires around the cockpit. And I find the screen of my Dell Axim difficult to read in bright conditions.

Pete

Last edited:
Garmin 196/296

I agree with the comments about the PDA vs. Standalone. I really prefer my 196 as the backup to the panel mounted 430. Most of the time the reality is that the 430 is the backup to the 196. This is for VFR flying. I have not found a PDA with enough brightness to use in the cockpit in daytime, but if anyone knows of one, please let me know. By bright, I mean like the 430.

I 2nd or 3rd that

The stand alone dedicated GPS is better overall, more robust, easier to use and most of the time faster and larger displays than a PDA based system. With too much displayed on your PDA it can slow down, especially if you are using the memory cards.

The PDA based GPS work well, but the stand-alone gets my #1 vote. With that said the PDA is not a bad way to go with some limitations. It seems many use a dual GPS systems with both PDA and dedicated GPS (portable or panel), which is the best of both worlds may be. I already owned a PDA and a plug in GPS receiver, so trying it was not an extra expense.

I was going to use my old faithful Garmin 195 in my current RV-7 project but really wanted to upgrade to terrain/obstacle avoidance. The PDA might be a nice supplement like Sam B. has. Keep my old Garmin 195 as prime GPS for driving the autopilot, and use the PDA for color/obstacle avoidance display and get up-to-date cheap or free current data. Garmin is kind of spendy to buy and update. Of course VFR updates are not super critical. The other option is drop $1000-$2500 on a new Lowrance Airmap 1000 /2000C, AVMAP EKP-IV or Garmin 396.

The other issue with a PDA based GPS how to drive the autopilot. You can ger them to work with some work arounds, but it is not as nice as a factory handheld GPS. In general a hand held GPS will do a better job as a driver for the autopilot. So I guess I am saying if you are going to have one GPS a handheld would be the way to go, especially if you want to supply the autopilot NAV guidance.

Yes loading data into the PDA and than loosing it is a pain. The software has to be reloaded with loss of internal battery, which will go dead over a fairly short period of dis-use (depending on the PDA's battery condition), unless you keep it plug into a power source as Sam B said. However the PDA system offers some advantage and can get lots of bang for buck, and it can be updated with new Nav data or software features over time much cheaper than Garmin or buying a new GPS every time a new GPS feature comes out.

Price of NAV data updates:
Not withstanding the semi-free shareware pocketFMS**, I think the updates on the pay to use/buy PDA GPS software (like anywhere map) is cheaper than say a Garmin GPS. I recall Anywhere Map did offer daily free (TFR) updates. If you can put up with the hassles as Sam says, a PDA GPS is a good value.

Another negative of a PDA GPS setup is the fairly small display and touch screen display operation. Newer PDA devices have large displays, but cost more. Also with the PDA GPS you have to boot the program with a few screen taps to get it going, which seems to take longer than a stand-alone GPS. No big deal just not as seamless. The PDA touch screen is OK, but I prefer the hard key/menu method of operation. The Garmin I had the most time with was the B&W older 195. The keys and menu where easy to use and had with a 4-way toggle button, you could move a curser around the screen, which allowed you to select items off the map. In turbulence I could brace my hand on the unit while manipulating the buttons and curser control. With a pointer (styles) and touch screen it may be a challenge.

I use a PDA based GPS in my car and it works great, but I am thinking of getting a stand-alone unit for the car. Mostly because I am tired of hooking it up every time. I just want to leave it in the car, but I also use my PDA for daily organization. After looking at some of the prices of a street GPS, I could just buy another used PDA off of eBay for car use, which is way more cost effective. Keep in mind when using a PDA for a GPS you need to buy a SD memory card to hold data, but prices have dropped on memory cards.

Cheers George

**PS I tried Pocket FMS mentioned above by Greg Piney; Not bad, I tried it a few years ago and it was unstable and awkward. The new version is cool. The $60 donation is very reasonable for what you get. I loaded my PDA in about 10 minutes and fooled around a little to get it to work. It took three attempts to get it to load, and a 4th to completely fix all settings. Once Up, I took it for a ride in the car. I can say it worked fine, but remember one thing I did not like about the PDA GPS platform, speed of display change. It is slow. I was running the 10Mb of data off the storage card. 10Mb of data is just for the Washington ATC region, approx NY to NC. IT would likely run faster if the map data was running all in main memory than a storage card. Depending on how much other stuff you have on the PDA you can have maybe 30Mb-50Mb for programs or data, enought for may be 1/2 the US. SD memory cards of 256Mb cost about $50. Pocket FMS has all the US, Canada, Europe and the better part of the World, available for download, at no extra cost! Try for FREE, if you like it send the $60 bucks in.

Last edited:
pda vs gps

iv used awm for 2 yrs and its not as good as a garmin i bought for the efis as a backup AI i dont like it as a moving map anyone wants to take it off my hand email me

Back