What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Orientation?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I understand that my ELT (AK-450) needs to face forward per the big arrow and that it needs to be substantially mounted - but does it need to be attached to a horizontal surface? Could the bracket be mounted to a vertical surface, i.e. rotated 90 degrees about its long axis.

Jim Sharkey

(I'll re-read the manual too!:))

As long as the arrow is forward, you can mount it how you want. Here's mine:
204133649-M.jpg

As long as the arrow is forward, you can mount it how you want. Here's mine:
204133649-M.jpg

I already have it mounted like that on the Stbd (RH) Flap Linkage Cover on my RV6 - just need to beef up the cover - it flexes too much just now!

Thanks for the feed back.

Jim Sharkey

PS - Did the plastic clip for the telescopic "escape" antenna RTVed to the AK-450 mounting strap stay stuck? Mine fell off when I looked at it side ways!

Last edited:
Guy - that is a good looking fuselage. Can you describe your interior finish process? I'm thinking ahead....

Thanks! I scrub with a ScotchBrite pad in soapy water, rinse, and dry. I then clean with Acetone and spray with PPG DX1791/1792 self etching primer. It is incredibly light and thin. It provides some corrosion protection, as the chromate acts as a sacrificial. It is NOT waterproof. Depending on your philosophy and climate, it's a nice product.

PM me or email me if you would like more info--I'm not entering a primer discussion in public.

Regards,
Guy

I wanted to mount the ELT on the vertical surface of the RH Flap Linkage Cover. It's out of the way, oriented OK and accessible if needed - but boy was it flimsy - especially after reading the dire admonitions concerning inadequate mount stiffness in the installation instructions.

I decided to add some low cost angle stiffeners to the back of the cover as below. A couple of verticals made from spare 3/4 x 3/4 x .062 extrusion, a top edge reinforcing made from spare tank floor angle and a small 1/8 plate to link the top to the upper rear mounting screw - luckily I had some space there. (I had already fitted a stiffer lower edge angle to replace a poorly bent lower flange - but that's another story.) The stiffeners are far enough back to clear the flap linkage but I had to trim them to fit around the fuselage intercostal. It does add a few ounces but it was essentially free and now makes the ELT bracket feel flimsy - so it must meet code!

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-Up FP O360-A1A
Still plugging - but getting there

eltmount1mc5.jpg

eltmount2kh7.jpg

eltmount3oe1.jpg

eltmount4wg7.jpg

Last edited:
Back