What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Subby 1 - Lyc 0 :)

David-aviator

Well Known Member
It was such an irresistible day I just had to push the airplane out of the hangar and go part a few air molecules.

Across the street a neighbor had a similar thought as I saw his -6A on the pad and getting ready to do likewise. I started up, ran the usual check list and taxied out as his prop began to turn. Paused at the runway a few minutes to give the oil temp a chance to come up a bit and then blasted off. The H6 is not at all shabby on take off the big 3 blade MT shimmering in the sun light and we are air borne in no time at all climbing at 110 knots - control, where is the enemy? For sure the cool temps help this situation and I'll take all I can get. The difference from 90F to 45 is most noticeable - and of course so is the fuel burn.

I cruised the area for a bit waiting to hear the take off announcement from the -6A but it never came. A pass across the airport revealed the airplane had done a 180 and was headed back to the hangar, bummer. Wonder what is wrong?

After landing I checked in with the -6A driver - his engine was OK, the alternator was futch. Evidently it had been out for sometime as the engine just barely got started and voltage never came up over 12 during taxi, plus the GPS and avionics began to shut down. Bad day at black rock for sure.

Wouldn't that make it "Subie-1, Nippondenso - 0"? :D

We pulled the cowl, it is a 60 amp Nippodenso probably ES14684, about 4 years old with 300 hours on it. The airplane is a beauty just purchased from Texas and the new owner is learning about RV's quick. We hooked up my Odyssey battery charger over night and will prove or disprove for sure the failed alternator in the morning.

Re tired of spending money, amen to that. Collateral damage this year is over five grand and its not over yet, the transponded died last week. By comparison, fuel is cheap.

Thank goodness we live just outside a 30 mile FAR 91.215 arc around here and I can still fly while someone tries to nurse the thingy back to life.

Back