What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron travel stop bracket

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone have a picture of the installation of the aileron travel stop bracket that they could post a link for me, I am having trouble figuring where exactly this is installed. Is this installed in both wings (I am finishing the left wing)

Here is a shot of my right aileron stop. I used a stop on both sides. It stops the upward movement of the aileron when it hits the inboard aileron bracket. It gets riveted to the inboard aileron hinge. Look at drawing 13A.

This view is looking at the outboard side of the inboard hinge on the right aileron. Use a piece of AL angle with one edge trimmed to about 1/4" in length.

It's a good idea to wait to install this until you are setting your control stops with the wings on. Then you can clamp the stop in the right spot, drill it and pop rivet in place.

Roberta

aileronstop7kh.jpg

Last edited:
Roberta
No link or picture in your post, I was wondering if I should wait until I set up the controls so based on your reply I will wait.
Thanks

Nice approach, clean and simple, think I will borrow the idea. Still cannot see Roberta's picture and cannot find a setting that allows pictures to display (or not)

I think I understand

I've been a bit confused on this myself. Roberta, am I correct in my assumption that the stop performs its function by contacting the aileron bracket? In reviewing the drawings I wasn't sure if it was supposed to contact the rib flange or whatever else might be in its path. Thanx.

--hawk

Do it Mickey's Way!

I never did figure out how Van wanted it done, but Mickey's solution is both elegant and simple - and it works! :)

Used your method Jeff...

I followed Jeff B's method of installing the stops and did so by only removing the aileron pushrod at the aileron. Stated differently, I did not have to remove my ailerons from the wings.

Jeff, your method of making the little angle jig to transfer the correct stop angle to the other side of the hinge bracket worked extremely well.

Thanks for that tip and the excellent pics of the process on your website.

delrin aileron stops

did you ever run this setup by Vans? and what did they have to say?
Hi greylingr :)

Yes I did, via E-mail, but I didn't hear anything back.

Just to revive this old thread.

Mickey used 0.5" diameter on his RV8 for his stops, anyone did the same for a RV7 and know the exact diameter to get the correct deflection before stop?

Thanks
Rudi

Sorry for the intrusion. If you are using Norton internet security, you might not see Roberta's picture. There is a setting to block images that are coming from a different domain than the page being viewed. This is how NIS blocks web ads. This option can be turned off.

Rudi, I am looking into the Mickey stop system too.

Structurally, we are side loading a fastener that is designed to hold the shear force of the ailerons. Do I think it would be fine, yes.

Why? Because I don't envision my ailerons to ever be bashing around in the wind for an extended period of time. All I want to do is stop excessive travel. This accomplishes that.

I like the idea!

;) CJ

Scott Will used Mickeys stops. I would have too if I had remembered I saved the link about a year earlier. Very nice idea.

-Jeff

I used the 1/2 rod on a 7a

Just bought a nylon bushing from the hardware store and drilled the hole out to 3/16ths.

Didn't have to remove the aileron and the travel was perfect...VERY quick way to get a stop.

Highly recommended.

Frank

AltonD said:
Sorry for the intrusion. If you are using Norton internet security, you might not see Roberta's picture. There is a setting to block images that are coming from a different domain than the page being viewed. This is how NIS blocks web ads. This option can be turned off.
If you're blocking images from a different domain, you'll block every single picture posted on this forum. Every picture comes from somewhere else like ImageShack, vansairforce.net (instead of .com), or other sites.

I was about to order some 1/2" Delrin rod, but I'll look for those nylon bushings at Lowes now. I agree about the comment that the ailerons shouldn't be bashing around against the stops. Only time I hit the stops on the 172 is during preflight.

If Lowes doesn't have 'em

look in your local corner hardware store, the ones where they have endless trays of wiered aviation hardware. I have found these places to stock many more aviation parts than Lowes or Home dopey.

Second comment for prospective RV builders...Buy one of those HF combination mill/lathes....I got one about 3 months before the end of the build.

Its unbelievable how fast you can make all those irritating little aluminium spacers...True and square and FAST!

Frank

Davepar said:
I was about to order some 1/2" Delrin rod, but I'll look for those nylon bushings at Lowes now. I agree about the comment that the ailerons shouldn't be bashing around against the stops. Only time I hit the stops on the 172 is during preflight.

I'm doing this now as well Dave and saw the nylon at Lowes but so far am planning to use the delrin rod. One of the big qualities of delrin acording to ACS is that it is very solvent/chemical resistant which I would think would be important here since they will periodically be cleaned and lubed. Is nylon as good? (Don't know, just a question).

nylon is just fine

never seen it degrade and if it does just slap another one in there in about 10 or 20 years...:)

Frank

Got the stuff at Lowes. It's a buck. It comes predrilled and that is a good thing for easy centering.

It comes 1.2" OD x .194" ID and 1" Long.

I had to step the ID up to 21/64" in order to accomodate the aluminum tube spacer inside of the stuff.

Question...

Has anyone ever MEASURED the deflection and ascertained that the 1/2" OD falls within Vans specs?

I haven't gotten to the point of rigging yet, but just throwing the question out there.

Mickey, is that why you bought all those different sized rods? How did it all calculate out?

:confused: CJ

I measured

Captain_John said:
Got the stuff at Lowes. It's a buck. It comes predrilled and that is a good thing for easy centering.

It comes 1.2" OD x .194" ID and 1" Long.

I had to step the ID up to 21/64" in order to accomodate the aluminum tube spacer inside of the stuff.

Question...

Has anyone ever MEASURED the deflection and ascertained that the 1/2" OD falls within Vans specs?

I haven't gotten to the point of rigging yet, but just throwing the question out there.

Mickey, is that why you bought all those different sized rods? How did it all calculate out?

:confused: CJ
I'm using the 1/2" Delrin aileron stops, and I did measure the deflections when I build my wings - it came out exactly per Van's specs.

Thanks for the feedback will make mine out of HDPE, i.e. kitchen cutting board material, that I have in the shop.

Mickeys stops

"Just bought a nylon bushing from the hardware store and drilled the hole out to 3/16ths."

Frank,
maybe check Mickeys site again about how he made the stops...
http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20040924215600851

>>...I've drilled a hole in the center of the rod so that the spacer can go in there.
(check his web site photo)
Here is the finished sleeve of delrin with the aluminium spacer in there <<
Dave

Back