What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finished wing dimensions

TShort

Well Known Member
Before I put too much time and energy into the basement workshop, does anyone know offhand the dimensions of the finished wings (minus flaps / ailerons) for the RV-8? I need to know if I can get them out of the basement once finished!
My plan (for now) is to build the empennage and wings and go with a QB fuse - this will have to go straight to the garage.

Thanks
Thomas

Thomas,
They are 44" wide (add about 4" for the aileron brackets), 115" long, and 8" deep (thick). The 115" figure is from the outboard rib to the inboard end of the spar. I can't tell you how much the wingtips will add. These dimensions are for the -7 wing, which I believe is the same.
Ward

Last edited:
wing dimensions

Thomas, I have a Bilco basement door with precast built in steps. I could not make the wings fit through the opening. If the steps could have been removed, I think they would have fit. Of course, if you have a walk out
basement there is no problem. Good luck............... Mark Cigal

Stuck Wing

Hi Thomas,

Here's my advice (and might make you laugh, too)... now that you have the measurements, find something of similar size and try moving it from the basement first. I've attached a link to a split picture I took while trying to move our -8A wings upstairs after completion. Left side of the picture is downstairs looking up and the right is upstairs looking down. I measured everything before, but it just wouldn't quite fit. Luckily we were trying to move them upstairs only for convenience (for more room in the garage) and not because we had to. We just had to live around them in the living room for a while. If we were trying to get it out of a basement after building, there would be some walls to replace.

BTW, Ward?s numbers are correct (-7 wing same as -8 wing) so I?ll just add some numbers to them for you:
47.5? wide with aileron bracket, 57? wide with flaps/ailerons
126.5? long with wing tip (old style)
8? thick plus allowance for pitot tube on left wing

Good luck,
Jeff Gross
N250JG

wingstuck.gif

Last edited:
Back