What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight, Farthest North (?) RV-8A

jamiller

N528AK, S/N 81517, slow build, flew for the first time Sat., July 9, 2005. It is set up for day/night VFR with a Garmin SL40 comm., GTX 320 Transponder, EIS 4000, Garmin 296 linked to a Trutrak Pictorial Pilot and Altrak Altitude Hold. I bought the absolutely beautiful and comfortable seats from Classic Aero Designs, which I highly recommend. Weight with everything but paint was 1064 lbs. First flight was a stunning experience and was almost flawless except that the alternator didn?t appear to functioning (turned out the plug in the back of the Van?s 60 amp self-regulated alternator wasn?t seated all the way). The engine, a new Lycoming O-360-A1A with carb and Slick mags. seems to be performing as it should. The prop is a three-blade Catto which is very smooth and relatively quiet. So many people contributed so much to the completion of my airplane that I?m reluctant to name any for fear of missing someone, but I must at least mention fellow RV?er Gar Pessel who provided much invaluable advice and transition training in his RV-6. Also, my lovely and patient wife, Carolyn, contributed a great deal by her support and understanding. I can?t say enough good things, even though I try every chance I get, about the quality of the product and the support of Van?s. Especially appreciated is the ability, with a minimum of hassle and drilling down through voice mail, to get to a tech support person that knows what you?re talking about and generally has a good answer. They mostly even manage to avoid conveying the message that some of my questions were pretty dumb and could have been resolved by my putting a little more effort into studying the plans. I?ll spare you yet another picture of a senior citizen with a goofy grin sitting in an unpainted RV. ;)

John Miller
Fairbanks, Alaska

Yes, congrat's John! Us guys still building can never see enough '1st flight' photos! Bring 'em on! :D

Back