What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phasing of LSE plasma II+

Papa

Well Known Member
Quick question for anyone who's done this. I have installed the plasma II+ with the direct crank sensor. The installation manual says to set the phasing by passing a magnet over the sensor prior to installing the flywheel. Well, somebody who doesn't always read instructions all the way through installed the flywheel and also the prop before finishing the connections to the LSE unit. My question is this: Why can't I just turn the prop/flywheel by hand through the #1 TDC position? Wouldn't the magnet installed in the flywheel trigger the hall effect sensor? I tried it last night, and I couldn't get it to work. I checked power to the unit, and also the p lead from the ignition switch for proper operation, no luck. Before I pull the prop and flywheel back off, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help, Papa

Alex,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think your line or reasoning is spot on. It's out to the shop to pull the prop and flywheel, and I'll check/adjust the spacing. Since the engine was shiped to me from superior with this board and sensors already installed, I assumed that the gap was already set. You know what they say when you assume things. I post what I find.

Papa

Removing the clear goo from on top of the sensors gave me probably .025" additional margin - Klaus told me "of course you remove it". Dummy me for thinking that the manufacturing was already complete...

OK, pulled the prop and flywheel and here's what I found. I checked the gap using the clay method, and it is right at .03" with the crankshaft pushed aft. I think that should work fine. Also, there was no "goo" around the sensors, so that wasn't the issue. The problem is this: one of the two magnets (the one at #1 TDC), was inserted backward. In other words, S pole is facing out, not the N pole as required. Because of this, when I tried to get the ignition to fire by moving the flywheel back and forth in the #1 TDC position it wouldn't work. When I try the same thing with the the other magnet (located at the 45 degree position) it works as advertised. The modifying of the flywheel was done by Superior, or whoever they had do it for them. Also, obviously, they didn't test the system or they would have discovered that it didn't work. I'm not overly happy about this development, but I realize that "stuff" happens.:(
I'll call Superior tomorrow and talk to them about it, but now my problem is how to reverse the magnet. I assume that it was epoxied into the drilled out hole, and I suspect that I'll end up destroying it trying to remove it. I may end up having to drill it out. In that case, I'll obviously need a new magnet to replace it with. Oh well, at least I now know what was wrong! If anyone has any ideas on how to remove the magnet intact, I'm all ears!

Papa

I think it's not possible to remove it intact. They are brittle and will break, which is probably the best way to remove it. They should be staked to keep them in, maybe just a little upset area near the magnet. You can get another one from Klaus, get a couple. Send the bill to whomever put it in backward. :)

Back