What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimmed a little extra flange on HS702

John Courte

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm working on the forward spar of the empennage and in one of my better moments, managed to trim the flange about 1/8" past where it says the bend line needs to be on HS-702.. Question is, can I still use this part, assuming the bend line is in the right place and the relief notch is properly done? Or do I need to order a new HS702? This is only happening on one side, I haven't messed up the other one yet.

thanks,
-John

John, I haven't attached my HS to the fuselage yet but I just looked at the plans and looked at both my fuselage and the HS and I don't THINK anything attaches to that flange. The vertical stab attaches to a plate on the web and the HS -- again, I THINK, also is attached via the WEb.

Now you may find that this has worked out in your favor since sometimes that flange interferes just a tad with the edge of the HS skin.

If it were me, and it's not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I understand you correctly, the flange you reference gets match drilled to the skin and the HS-405 rib. Just be sure you don't have edge distance issues when you do the drilling. I trimmed mine according to the plans and I actually have a little extra flange sticking out past the edge of the skin, so there might be a little room to play.

Last edited:
Back