What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shameless begging for a ride...

tkatc

Well Known Member
Ok...I have been bit by the RV bug and the doc is insisting I get a ride soon before I die.

I WILL be buying a flying RV between January and late spring. I want to get near, around, in and up on as many RVs as I can so I can make an informed decision/purchase. My focus is on the RV-6A mainly because it has side-by-side seating, is good for light aerobatics unlike the RV9 and I figure the 6 would be a bit lower price compared to the 7. I want the "A" model because at this point I am not sure I could handle the tailwheel. I also am leaning toward a fixed pitch prop but I am warming up to the idea of a variable pitch. (Can you tell I am a low time pilot?)

There will be many decisions to be made before purchase, some of which I am probably not even aware of right now.

I am 2 miles from Cross keys (17N) airport in Southern NJ. I can fly or drive to meet anybody generous enough to teach me, show me, or fly me around in their RV. If you even THINK there is a chance you could take me up please email me ([email protected]) or call me at 856-625-6194. I am a controller at ACY and might be able to pass on some knowledge to you as well.

TIA,
Tony

FP/CS prop

If you come across an airplane with a C/S prop you really don't have to worry about it...Its easy to use and gives more funtionality to your airplane.

You will be getting transition training right?...I did 5 hours wih Mike Seager and although expensive was highly worthwhile. You will also learn to use a C/S prop then.

Have fun

frank

If you want to try a 8

Hey Tony!
I am at S37, if you want to try a 8 maybe I can hook up with Jim. And you can see a 8 and a 6. My 8 has a 180 c/s prop set up

Hey guys...THANKS....I am game for whoever wants to give me a ride. I will have to look up those airports you mentioned and figure out a good time to come there unless you will be over this way anytime soon. Whichever happens first, I am game.

I am glad to see positive responses to this post and makes me feel that much more secure in my decision to buy an RV....the people behind them.

Oh...and YES. Transition training is a must. I am not trying to die or become a statistic. In fact I have aerobatic training scheduled for next week. It will be in an aerobat but something is surely better than nothing.

Ok....I have off Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. 11/20 and 21. I have a C152 reserved for both days from 11 am til 3pm....who's ready to fly?

Let me know what you guys decide, if you like I will meet up with you guys at Bloomsburg or somewhere else.
If nothing else I will buy you two lunch!!

Yes Yes Yes...2 RVs for the price of one. I will definately fly up to Bloomsburg or wherever is agreeable to all. Let me know if those times work for you as I might be able to tweak the rental reservation and the sooner the better.

The weather forecast is improving so I think this will be doable. I will call Jim later tonight after we get a better idea of what the weather will be like. If things go as planned I should be arriving at N13 around noon or so.

If the forecast holds true, it looks like Saturday will be the next decent day to fly. Saturday works for me.

Jim

Mother nature......oh well. I was so excited. I work at 2pm on Saturday but I have reserved the plane from 9am til 1pm if the morning hours work for you Jim. Hopefully we can make this happen on Saturday.

warning

Just a warning Tony. You are done for when you fly one of these planes. They fly great and there is no way you will be able to resist a purchase!

When I was making up my mind I flew a lot of planes. The deal was inked when I ran into a friend one evening who was out flying his 8. We went for a dusk flight and I had a blast. The thing flew like it was on rails -- way better than the Lancairs, Velocities and Cozys I had flown and leap years ahead of any production plane I have flown (172, Warrior, Arrow, Bonanza, Diamond, Cirrus . . . ) After the 8 I flew another friend's 7 on a few instrument approaches, and the deal was closed.

Somehow Van's has managed to make these planes both responsive and docile. You can throw them around the sky and pull Gs or you can fly a rock solid ILS.

Which lucky 6A builder should we tell that you are going to enable his upgrade?

Antony

Back