What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

florida

burgundyja

Well Known Member
does anyone have any tips on fun stuff to fly to in florida? i will be there in early dec and would like to fly to some diffrent airports also is there any cool sites that are close to airports?

Hi Mike,

Janie and I lived in Tampa for 9 years and tried to check out what aviation had to offer in Fl.

A couple of suggestions:

Cedar Key: 100 miles north of Tampa on the Gulf Coast. Fly around the water tower a couple of times and a taxi will pick you up at the runway. Be carefull landing--it is short (paved) and runs from one end of an island to the other. Go into town (takes you back to the 1940's) and have a wonderful seafood lunch/dinner on the pier. Walk around town and check out the shops.

Ft Walton/Destin: In the Fl panhandle. Some of the most beautiful white sand beaches/aqua water I have ever seen. It is known as the Red Neck Riveria.

Winter Haven/Kissimme: One of the airports there is the home of a major war bird rebuilder and when we were there he had a very nice museum with some of his work on display.

Florida Keys: It was less than a 2 hr flight from our home in Tampa down to Key West or Marathon Key in our Mooney. Interesting day trip---think of Key West as a cross between San Francisco in the late 60's and New Orleans at Madi Gra. Be sure to go through the museum about the Atocha treasure ship--Mel Fischer's maritime museum.

Berns Steak House: If you visit Tampa try to make reservations to eat at Berns Steak House on Howard Blvd. Wonderful steaks and a wine list that is a 1" thick book. Go upstairs to the Dessert Room for the most incredible assortment of exotic desserts you have ever seen.

Just a few ideas off the top!!

Cheers,

db

Back