What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some observations about the NTSB nosewheel report

AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
My comments are in no way intended to be anything but constructive. However, with all due respect to the report's author, there seem to be some glaring omissions in the NTSB report. I am also in no way suggesting that the nose wheel fork modification doesn't make sense to do - I am doing it to my 6A. That being said, I feel there are some things worth discussing.

First, please reference:

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2006/RV_Photos.pdf
http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2006/RV_Study.pdf
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20051006X01588&ntsbno=ANC05LA123&akey=1

There is a table at the end of the first document, which is very interesting. The raw numbers indicate, by model type, the following accidents/incidents:

6A - 4
7A - 9
8A - 4
9A - 6

and, flying aircraft from Van's website:

RV-6/6A 2238
RV-7/7A 528
RV-8/8A 752
RV-9/9A 351

There is not a breakdown of trike vs taildraggers on Van's website, but it is clear that the 6A's are underrepresented, by a long ways, in the accident report table referenced above. Some generalizations can be made. For example, the majority of 8's are likely taildraggers, and conversely most 9's are trikes. In any case, one could estimate that somewhere around 3 times as many 6A's are flying than the combined 7, 8 and 9A's. We should be curious as to why the large discrepancy.

If one pares down the 23 acc/inc. in the table, as the NTSB does in the text, by removing bad landings, off airport landings, running into obvious potholes, the list is eight acc/inc (the NTSB got nine, I get eight). None of these eight are 6A's.

The question that is begged is why? Is it coincidence? I suspect not. There are two distinct, and potentially very important, differences (excluding the 8A) between the 6A's and the 7/9A's.

First, many, if not most, of the 6A's would seem to have the older wheel bearing design, which includes a 1" bar all the way from fork to fork. Another thread deals with that:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18885

I believe all 7/8/9A's have the newer design wheel bearing setup, which doesn't have the large, fork to fork, axle other than the 3/8" bolt. Finish kits for the 6A's shipped after about '97, give or take, also had the new design.

So what? Well, it appears that the analysis that was done may not have contemplated vibrations or dynamic resonance considerations. There was a comment in the report stating that the analysis showed that the drag of the nose wheel when locked would not cause the gear to fail. That may be true if one simply locked the axle and dragged the plane (static situation). However, there have been many who have written here that they had a fore/aft or up/down pitching vibration on their nose gear. Clearly, if the bearing design is such that there can be variable drag on the nose wheel, one could imagine a resonance run away until the nut drags on the ground, at which point the party is over. If bearing drag contributes to this, it could be a culprit, particularly if bearing drag increases with wheel load.

Secondly, the longer main gear on the 7/9A's aren't helping the situation. The nose gear has further to come down when the elevator runs out of authority to keep it up. I do not know if this is a factor or not. But, the cg of the airplane is higher above the ground, so clearly less pitching moment is needed to start the flip over process. Are these differences enough to explain the discrepancy? I don't know.

The third item of interest is contained in the third link, which is the full narrative of the Palmer AK accident report. This portion is interesting:

"He said his touchdown speed was about 58 mph, and he touched down about 20 feet from the end of the runway. He said that several seconds later, he felt what seemed to be the nose wheel dragging, and shortly thereafter, the nose wheel seemed to drag again, but much harder. The airplane subsequently nosed over, and received structural damage to the fuselage, the left elevator, the left wingtip, the rudder, and the vertical stabilizer."

The portion which really caught my eye was the pilot's report of an initial feel of something dragging, followed by a much harder dragging. What was this initial dragging? One could imagine that the harder dragging was when the gear nut started plowing.

Another interesting finding in that report:

"Slight, uneven surface undulations were noted in the area where the nose wheel fork assembly began to scuff the tops of the undulations, producing slight gouge marks that began about 500 feet from the approach end of the runway. The gouge marks increased in depth toward the end of the runway, and ended where the nose fork dug into the ground."

Is this a dynamic vibration situation? I Don't know.

I plan to continue to contemplate this issue, and welcome any meaningful inputs to this discussion.

I concur

My comments are in no way intended to be anything but constructive. However, with all due respect to the report's author, there seem to be some glaring omissions in the NTSB report. I am also in no way suggesting that the nose wheel fork modification doesn't make sense to do - I am doing it to my 6A. That being said, I feel there are some things worth discussing.

I plan to continue to contemplate this issue, and welcome any meaningful inputs to this discussion.

Very good observations. Much better to have these discussions when data and pilot reports are available as opposed to right after an "event" happens and everyone jumps in with speculations and opinion.

I still would like to know the weight on the nose gear of each of the incidents especially in light of Van now providing a max weight on nose gear requirement. The NTSB data does give some insight into this by listing which engine were used on the planes that flipped. Your observation of the 6A being less prone to the flip-over does does not directly support the weight on the nose gear issue. If using Dan Checkoway's website for average gross weight of the different models the 6A should be much more likely to be overloading the nose gear.

6A 1780 lbs gross (130 lbs over Van's recommend weight)
7A 1838 lbs gross (38 lbs over Van's recommend weight)
8A 1814 lbs gross (14 lbs over Van's recommend weight)
9A 1795 lbs gross (45 lbs over Van's recommend weight)

Of coarse the average is not the data we should use in the analysis as we should be using the specific weight of each incident to determine if heavy weight on the nose gear is an issue.

I think the nose tire pressure is also a big issue. The Lamb tires do not hold air very well and it is easy to have the tire pressure down to 20 psi. According to the NTSB that down at 20 psi the you lose 2.1" of clearance.

I do believe the 4.5 to 5 degree nose high attitude of the 6A does help prevent the flip-over condition. Also, since the flip-over has only come to light in the last few years the 7A, 8A, and 9A may have a high tendency to flip (for what ever reason).

My opinion is that if you do not land on grass and always use the paved runway then you are probably OK without making the change to the new fork. If you use grass daily or want extra safety margin when using the grass ocasionally then you should change to the new fork. I personally will make the change as it has no effect on perfomance and cost less then $300 (plus maybe half day of work and a week or two of not flying). That sounds like good insurrance to me.

I think a guy could do this SB himself and save a few bucks and only have the plane OOC for a day at the most.

This maybe?

I do believe the 4.5 to 5 degree nose high attitude of the 6A does help prevent the flip-over condition. Also, since the flip-over has only come to light in the last few years the 7A, 8A, and 9A may have a high tendency to flip (for what ever reason).

Since most 6A's were built during times when money was a little tighter and the propensity for guys to go 180 HP, C/S props was not so prevalent, the airplanes probably ended up with wooden props and lighter on the nose. The shorter main gear also helps transfer weight rearward, as Philip points out. Checking my initial weight and balance, I only had/have 247 lbs. on the nose, and that was with it levelled. There's less weight on the nose with it sitting pointing heavenward. Furthermore, IIRC, the CG shifts rearward with either pilot or passenger, lightening the nose up more, no?

If both a medium weight pilot and passenger stand on my steps at the same time, the airplane tilts back on its tail. Do the -7A's do this?...the -9A's?

Do the -7A's maybe need the old -6 main gear?

Pierre

Yep

If both a medium weight pilot and passenger stand on my steps at the same time, the airplane tilts back on its tail. Do the -7A's do this?...the -9A's?

Pierre

Hey Pierre: The 9As do the same thing. One person gets in at a time. Can't recall my nose weight right now. I have an 0-320 with a fixed pitch prop. I'm not sure if this happens on 9As with a heavier front end.

Statistics

The under-representation illustrated by Alex may be much greater than indicated. Consider the total number of landings that have been made by 6as versus the 7as and 9as. Given years in service, I suspect that there may be an order of magnitude or more landings made on 6a gear than on the newer gear.

While there are early 7as and 9as that will benefit from the new fork, there may be a higher factor of safety associated with the old fork and short mains. Maybe the SB ought to be to retrofit the short main gear on the 7a and 9a!

I think I will continue to fly my old 6a as is. With a ligth front end, a stiffener on the gear to damp resonance, the mod to control bearing preload, and maybe a metal skid plate over the nut, I suspect I will have a higher factor of safety than the kits coming out of Vans today.

Wow. That pothole happened to be a tie down ring in the parking spot.

Bryan, I should have said "obvious in retrospect". I did not mean to imply obvious at the time, I meant to imply a clear cause was evident after the fact.

Tie down locations are not the friends of RV's, some look like they would swallow a Cessna.

For -6As....

If using Dan Checkoway's website for average gross weight of the different models the 6A should be much more likely to be overloading the nose gear.

6A 1780 lbs gross (130 lbs over Van's recommend weight)

Vans gross is 1600 on the -6s (don't know if anyone actually uses this number though...)

Which would make it 180 lbs over Van's recommend weight

Dan C.'s database has more -6As with O-360 Lycomings than O-320s (15 to 11) and only 2 of these Lycoming engined planes have non-metal props.

If this database is somewhat representative, then many of those 1000+ flying -6A (I am guessing around 50% are tri-gear) are fairly heavy on the nose gear...

gil A

Vans gross is 1600 on the -6s (don't know if anyone actually uses this number though...)

Which would make it 180 lbs over Van's recommend weight

Dan C.'s database has more -6As with O-360 Lycomings than O-320s (15 to 11) and only 2 of these Lycoming engined planes have non-metal props.

If this database is somewhat representative, then many of those 1000+ flying -6A (I am guessing around 50% are tri-gear) are fairly heavy on the nose gear...

gil A

I think I brought this up about a year ago.

My opinion is that if you do not land on grass and always use the paved runway then you are probably OK without making the change to the new fork.
I wish that were true. There is a -9A that a friend owns who bent his gear leg so bad on pavement that the fairing was vertical.

He was rolling on his mains just after landing when he was hit by a gust of wind. The airplane lifted off 3 to 5 feet and when the wind died it dropped (stalled), landed on the mains and nose wheel slapped down, causing it to tuck under and curl both prop tips. He said this happened so fast he didn't have time to get the throttle in.

In the end he had to replace the nose gear, yoke, wheel pant, prop, and over haul his 12 hour engine.

Had he been on grass, I'm certain he would have gone over.

Another observation

The service letter only applies to two seat RVs.

So, ask yourself why??? Please consider the following-----

Single seat (-3) planes are not available as nosedragger, so not a factor.

Four seat (-10) has a different style nosegear leg/suspension system.

Lots of above discussion is about the weight on the nose wheel. I will bet dollars to doughnuts that the -10 has the heaviest nose wheel weight.

But, the -10 uses a rigid, pivoting nose gear, that uses rubber donuts for compression to absorb landing forces. And, its design only lets it move up/forward.

In the two seat models, the nose gear leg is the spring. It should normally absorb load by flexing upward at the wheel end (move closer to the spinner), which will put the fulcrum point farther forward, and the rebound force pushes the nose of the plane upwards.

If for some reason, (flat tire, dragging bearings, pot hole, etc.) the leg is forced to flex back/downward, which due to the design, it is free to move back---or sideways for that matter, or even some combination of directions----the fulcrum point now moves rearward, closer to the C/G, and under the plane. When it unloads, the direction of force is a vector that is both up, and rearward---against the direction of the plane. And, below the vertical C/G of the plane.

The term "pole vault" has been used in this discussion in the past. I think it is pretty accurate.

O.K., this is all observation, and applied logic, I am not an engineer, so it would be good if someone with engineering background would chime in here.

Alex

I think you are right on with your observations, expecially the one concerning bearing drag and the axle differneces between the old style 6a and new style 7a. I have built and flown both models and much prefer the old style 6a axle. I suspect that most flip overs of the late model axle design are caused by the fore aft shimmy that you mention. If i do anything to change my current 7a it will be to install a wood stiffener on the back side of the gear leg and then wrap the whole assembly with fiberglass cloth and resin.

My hope would be that this would eliminate the resonant shimmy that i have experienced on occasion.

Steve Ciha

Steve, thanks. I too have contemplated wooding and glassing the gear leg. When the current vintage of leg (with or without the shorter lower portion) came out, Van said to not glass it, as it is designed for optimal fatigue life, and changing the stiffness would not be good. Tough to know which way to go....

Alex, concerning your quote below.

"Van said to not glass it, as it is designed for optimal fatigue life, and changing the stiffness would not be good. Tough to know which way to go...."

I suppose Van meant that glassing the leg would transfer most of the stress to the point on the leg directly below the gear mount point. Funny, but the old 6A moldels did not have the nice fairing that is now supplied. Wood fairings and fiberglass was the standard way to finish off the nose gear leg. My hanger mate has over 1000 hours flying with this set up, on the original first model gear leg. My first plane was the same way and is still flying along quite well, on it's fourth owner.

Steve Ciha

......I do believe the 4.5 to 5 degree nose high attitude of the 6A does help prevent the flip-over condition. Also, since the flip-over has only come to light in the last few years the 7A, 8A, and 9A may have a high tendency to flip (for what ever reason).......

Standard method of weighing an airplane is to level it which is what I did yesterday. The difference in NG weight after the fuselage was leveled was 36 pounds and I only had to correct for about 2.5 degrees nose up. With a 6A, the difference would be much more for sure.

I wonder about the new charts that set NG weight limits based on cg and weight. We weigh the airplane leveled but we do not land it level or taxi it level. Is the NG limit on those charts based on a level airplane or as it sits on the ramp? There is quite a difference.

Van's weight on nlg curves

I wonder about the new charts that set NG weight limits based on cg and weight. We weigh the airplane leveled but we do not land it level or taxi it level. Is the NG limit on those charts based on a level airplane or as it sits on the ramp? There is quite a difference.

I am assuming that was taken into account on his charts since I can not exactly replacate his curves. I figured that was due to the slight difference due to the gear location and the measured angle. I was set to measure my weight on nose gear in the static attitude last weekend and got busy with other things so can not prove that Van used the static attitude. I also want to do it mathmatically but need the height the CG is from the ground plane. I did guess at that this weekend to be between 36 and 42 inches. (One other note is that the gear spread out with weight on them so you should actually re-check the gear location for accuracy).

Get in..

Philip,
I plan to put my -6A on 2 X 4's or similar, under the mains (same thickness as bathroom scale) and a bathroom scale under the NG. As David pointed out, we don't land these airplanes level so I feel that duplicating real life conditions would give real life answers. According to the service letter on the -9A, anything you put in the airplane moves the CG rearward, lightening the NG load. Obviously this would apply to the -6A as well. As fuel burns off, the CG moves aft as well making the NG lighter than when the trip started, so it gets better the longer you fly:)

I'm gonna weight the airplane with me in it, with two up and then ballast the baggage area as well and at each condition record the NG load. Then I'll publish my numbers here.

Regards,

I'm gonna weight the airplane with me in it, with two up and then ballast the baggage area as well and at each condition record the NG load. Then I'll publish my numbers here.

Pierre,
Use full fuel as you know full fuel and no pilot or baggage produces the most weight on the nose gear.

Nut Cup, aka RV Jock Strap

Our solution at Lockhart, Texas, to the RV 6, 7, 8 and 9-A nose wheel fork plow and subsequent roll-overs was to install a skid plate to protect the nut at the bottom of the fork. A well-known RV Guru at Lockhart thought of it and welded one together for me. The face of the fork with a big nut sticking below it does not make a good plow--even if the fork is presently rounded and sets an inch higher (since February, 2005). A rounded skid plate behind the fiberglass cup of the front wheel pant does offer protection--especially if that cup has 3 layers of fiberglass on the inside leading edge of it. The 3-layer application fits snug against my skid plate and does not allow a gap between the skid plate and nose cap. Any gap will allow crushing the fiberglass and expose the nut fork to dig in and make the front strut work like a pole vault to spring you on your back--or bend back and collapse. A complete collapse will cause a prop/spinner strike to flip you over. The one-inch higher fork may or may not solve the problem. It is too new to provide statistics for proof one way or the other. I have 480 hours on my RV-7A with over half of that using the skid plate. Don't get me wrong, I plan on doing the "Mandatory" Service Bulletin; but I'll be also pulling off the "jock strap" and moving it to my new (and improved?) fork for extra insurance because I'm convinced it has saved my RV-7A and me more than once. I have pictures of my damaged front fiberglass, a chunk chipped out but not shattered, while taxiing and hitting and then jumping over the concrete lip of a hanger apron that was hidden by tall grass (made an awful loud bang). And according to some, a few flip overs have occured by merely taxiing on a grass strip. I have made a lot of grass-strip landings at many fly-ins such as Reklaw with no problem. I want to be able to continue doing just that.

I agree, even with the new fork, a skid plate is advised. I will be modifying my fibreglass plate for the new fork when I change over. I will also look at staking the mushrooms to reduce rolling resistance.

Its all about stacking the odds in your favour!

Vern

Photos???

Our solution at Lockhart, Texas, to the RV 6, 7, 8 and 9-A nose wheel fork plow and subsequent roll-overs was to install a skid plate to protect the nut at the bottom of the fork. A well-known RV Guru at Lockhart thought of it and welded one together for me.

Any "Jock Strap" photos available? Sounds like an idea worth copying!:D

GrayHawk,

Very nice job on the "jock Strap"!
I know how much work that was, and it turned out great.

Mark
It was done by the Texas guys (Lockhart), not me.

I just happened to have the photos on-line to share. usually don't keep photos of 'underwear' on this photo site; but safety first...:p

Last edited:
NTSB Report

The NTSB report goes on and on ad nauseam in great technical detail about what may cause forks to dig in and flip over nose-wheel RV's like 6 through 9A's. There are so many pages in great technical detail, yata, yata, yata, that it caused my eyes to glaze over. I still have an imprint of the keyboard on my forehead from dozing off.

It's more simple than the report makes it out to be: the flat face of the fork with a big nut sticking below it does not make a good plow. Pictures of furrows created by the fork prior to the plane flipping over prove what causes the accident. I know good pilots who have had this kind of accident. Any gap between the fiberglass front cup on the nosewheel and the fork will allow even a small bounce and impact to crush the fiberglass and thus expose the bottom nut and allow it and then the fork to dig in. The new one-inch higher fork may or may not solve the problem. Size does matter, but I'm not sure one more inch will make a difference.

Just to repeat what started this thread, the glaring omissions on the NTSB report are the discrepancies between the 6A's and the others as well as the absence of any dynamic discussion. Anyone who has watched the nose gear on these things will observe a lot of pitching motion. Stimulate that natural resonance with something in the same frequency (i.e., bumps or ripples in the ground) and it could get divergent, meaning ever increasing amplitude. I still feel that wheel bearing issues are contributing, see http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18885 for more discussion of that.

Back