What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anybody polished their prop?

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
What would you use to remove the paint from the front of a Hartzell without causing damage? Once off, how many hours with a buffer and polishing compounds will it take to glow like a mirror? Lastly, if you have done this how much effort is really needed to upkeep the shine and keep corrosion away. I do have the benefit of sharing the hanger with an unkept and unloved 172 that seems to entice corrosion to it and keeps it from finding my plane. I'm hoping even with a polished prop the little metal eating germs will continue to prefer this Cessna over the RV. Is this to much to hope for with a polished prop?

Thanks,

I had a polished Hartzell on a Pitts and it looked great but was a babysitting job. I had someone lean against it (maybe me) on a hot summer day and left salty sweat on it. I didnt catch it and next time I looked at it there was a head start on corrosion that I never got polished out. When I sent it in for O'haul I had it returned to factory gray.

9 years

What would you use to remove the paint from the front of a Hartzell without causing damage? Once off, how many hours with a buffer and polishing compounds will it take to glow like a mirror? Lastly, if you have done this how much effort is really needed to upkeep the shine and keep corrosion away. I do have the benefit of sharing the hanger with an unkept and unloved 172 that seems to entice corrosion to it and keeps it from finding my plane. I'm hoping even with a polished prop the little metal eating germs will continue to prefer this Cessna over the RV. Is this to much to hope for with a polished prop
?

Hi Bryan, my Hartz prop has been stripped and polished for 9 years on my RV with no problems, but you do need to stay on top of it. I live in Oklahoma where it is mostly dry but do have some humidity at different times of the year. I try to fly at least once a week or sometimes every other week depending on the weather. I'm estimating that every two weeks I'll lightly polish the prop which takes about 5 minutes to keep it looking nice. One note, if you do strip it and polish, I'd recommend getting the prop balanced as it will change the balance of it, been there done it thing.

Your other question about stripping the paint? Use paint stripper just like you would to strip an airplane that is painted. Now the hard work begins with block sanding. I started out with wet sanding using 320 grit sandpaper, then I worked my way up to 400 grit, 600 grit, 800 grit, 1,000 grit, 1,200 grit, 1,500 grit, then used aluminum metal polish with a buffer to get the end results. the metal polish I used comes in different grits as well. Start out with the coarse then work your way to the final polish.

Yes it's a lot of work and it is a maintenance issue and Hartzell says NO about polished props. Hartzell will not stand behind there props if polished. Hope this helps.

polished props.

Just a quick thought. They look great but are a lot of work to keep nice and no manufacture can stand behind a polished prop anymore. When it is sent to them for service the have to send it out at least primed.

Too much work

I had a polished prop on a Cessna 195 hangared here in the Pacific Northwest. It came that way out of Southern California. It was a constant chore to keep the corrosion at bay. Maybe 30 minutes of polishing per week. After about a year of that I had the prop removed and painted. I thought it looked better painted, too. I wouldn't want a polished prop unless I lived in the desert.

I agree with a nice paint job. Who wants to work that hard. I'd rather be flying or sipping a Margarita:D!!

Roberta

I had an old Cessna 172 that had a polished prop on it. When I first got the airplane, it was out on a tiedown, and it was a nightmare to try and keep the prop looking good. Once I got it in a hangar, it was definitely a lot easier, but still required some periodic polishing to keep it up. Definitely pretty but some babysitting required as previous posters have said.

I would also be concerned if Hartzell says "No" to that. Why is that? Because of the corrosion issues and their inability to have any control over that? I wonder about the other prop companies..

prop

When you overhaul a prop, you grind it down with a big wheel and take the top coat off of it... when you are all done with the measuring and checking, it's stuck in a tank and plated. It's kind of like annodizing... you will see a goldish color on the prop and then it is painted. The goldish plating you see is to protect the prop from corrosion and wear. If you take that off.... it's just you, bare metal and mother nature....
Best
Brian

San Jose...

......is by the ocean....salt climate. Rethink maybe.

I used to live in Fremont and corrosion by the sea......

Regards,

Hi Brian, While at LVK I polished the prop on my 140. Looked great but I had to keep after it. A friend did this as well but made covers for the prop and it needed a lot less up keep. Would I do it again? No, but if I did I would make some nice color coded slip covers for it and enjoy the look.
Larry

Had a polished prop on my Cessna 170B. It looked cool, but was a P-I-T-A to keep it looking that way. If I had kept the plane much longer I'd have had it painted.

Yes vote for polishing

I had my Pitts S1S prop polished with a 3 colour scheme on the tips. Fancy schmancy and it looked sweet. The plane was kept inside and it wasn't thaaat bad to keep it shiny - just don't fly in the rain :D .

Back