What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would this be Weird?

patterson

Well Known Member
Patron
I bought and installed a Lightspeed Plasma III on my plane following OSH. Now I love the benefits of EI. Just a few days ago I heard about the PMAG model upgrade and suspect they now have most of the issues worked out. I shyed away from them with all the problems I read about over the past two years or so, but now I'm intrigued all over again since the introduction of the model 114, and the company now having Bob Knuckols as a consultant.

Here's the thing. Keeping the Slick magneto in good order is expensive and time conmsuming. I'd rather put the $$ into a PMAG if there are no compatability problems. So would putting the PMAG in the impulse mag side of my system be OK, or are there issues to consider here?

Rumor? :confused:Someone said that if the PMAG quits (the electrics and internal alternator totally die), it reverts to firing like a magneto? Any truth in that?

Thanks for your input.
Ron
N8ZD
RV-4 - 225 hours
[/COLOR]

The only ignition that will still work when the electronic portion quits is the Lasar system by Unison. The P-mag has a built in alternator to keep it running if the power from the aircraft electrical system fails but if the built in alternator also quits the ignition will no longer function.

As far as using the P-mag to replace your magneto that would be no problem since it is not aircraft power dependent like the Lightspeed. The P-mag is also designed to start the engine and has kick back protection so you can start the engine on it alone. You will have to install shorter mounting studs in the accessory case because the impulse coupling mag has a 1" thick it spacer between it and the case.

Martin Sutter
#2 prototype P-mag running on my RV6 since 2003
dual P-mags on my RV7A (250)hrs

Back