What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What 80 days of water looks like...

Scott Will

Well Known Member
While the SoCal guys have been fighting the fires out west, us here in the metro Atlanta area are battling a quieter but potentially sticky dilemma... the lack of H2O due to the drought! And here's what it looks like from the air. The pictures below are of Lake Lanier which supplies the majority of the drinking water for us. It's just a very short hop from my home base of LZU.

Estimates are between 80 - 100 days of water left for us left depending on who you want to believe. What's for sure is the Army Corps of Engineers under direction from a federal judge are releasing TONS of water each second to ensure the fresh water mussels in Florida can live on. So the governors of GA, AL and FL are duking it out in various political and judicial circles. Just thought I'd share some pics of our lake!

SEW_20071030-153030.jpg

SEW_20071030-153022.jpg

SEW_20071030-153126.jpg

Hard to believe that the South East is going to run out of water before the South West...

And here they are still trying to talk everyone into toilet-to-tap...:eek:
which actually would be a good thing in my book - treat wastewater, pump it into a reservoir for a few years to further process naturally, then send it into the system for use. Alot better than sending millions of gallons of perfectly good water out into the ocean.

maybe its me

i bought a plane the price of gas triples,:mad: i buy a boat and the lakes dry up..hmmmm must mean someone doesnt want me to have fun....

Lake Allatoona, GA

Scott, I shot this pic of Lake Allatoona on Tuesday...the other water source for Atlanta. Sorry for the camera phone blurry shot.
Photo_10.jpg

SE Drought

Scott,
You should fly over to the northwest side. Lake Lanier still looks like an ocean compared to Lake Allatoona. Guys will be landing their RV's in the middle of the dried up lake before long......

Remember- "If it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow". Ha

We have almost the same problem he in Australia. Im in Brisbane, and we can only have 4 min shower, our dams are at 20%. I once had thick green lawn out the front, now it dead and dusty. Yet flooding is going on in other parts of the world.

Come down to Savannah! We have gotten over 60 inches of rain since December. It's amazing how close we are yet the rain is significantly different. Maybe I should try to fly to Atlanta. Everytime I try to head there it seems to be raining. The last time, in September, the remnants of Humberto passed through.

Back