What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plattsburgh, NY, airports

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
Weather, etc. cooperating, I plan to fly up to Plattsburgh, NY, this weekend to check in with friends. I haven't been up there before. I would appreciate any information or advice about the two airports up there. Which would be more RV-friendly, PBG (Plattsburgh International) or PLB (Clinton County). Thanks for any help that comes in.

I grew up about a mile from Clinton County Airport

My information is pretty dated (30 years or so) but...

Clinton County is the GA airport but Plattsburgh Int is the old USAF SAC base. If you need 11,000 feet of landing distance than Plattsburgh is for you otherwise I would recommend Clinton County.

Clinton County is on the edge of town (or was back then) almost into the neighboring metropolis of Morrisonville. Plattsburgh sits right next to Lake Champlain and is a bit closer into town.

I gotta warn you that even 30 years ago Plattsburgh was a fairly rundown mill town. Montreal, Canada is only about 60 or 70 miles north though.

Plattsburgh

Louise,

My information is 10 years older than Bruce's, however if you do go into PBG, the runway is 200' wide, and wide runways can be deceiving on landing. I also agree with Bruce that PLB may be a little more RV friendly.

My information may be a bit jaded as I took my first flight lesson at PLB way back in '67. Sure wish that I were going along with you.

Barney

Plattsburg Airport

I fly out of Northern Lights in VT and have used Clinton County quite a bit. Clinton County was actually supposed to be closed by now. I know the FBO moved out of there and you can't get fuel there. I haven't been over there within the last month or so - so I don't know if they have actually put an "X" on the runways yet. I guess I would suggest you land at PGB just to be safe. The runway at PGB looks REALLY LONG when you are flying the pattern in a J-3!!!

It is REALLY long...

I recall it was 11,000 feet back when I lived there. My dad was Air Force so they would let him fly his Piper Tri-pacer over there to do touch n gos. I don't recall exactly how many he could do on a single pass, but I think it was something like ten.

Back in those days, the bombers were on ready 5/15 status and the crews lived in an underground bunker nicknamed the mole-hole. The bunker had these long corrugated metal tubes that snaked out toward the planes. If the Russians were inbound the plan was to get the nuclear bombers in the air to ensure mutual distruction (nice thought).

Plattsburgh

Louise,

Did you go to Plattsburgh?

Standying by report, eh?

Thanks,
Barney

It's nice here Louise. Kathy says hi.

Kathy.jpg

Last edited:
Back