What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gap b/w main wings skins and leading edges

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
With my LE riveted together and my tank clecoed together, I have a constant 1/64" gap between my leading edge and my top main wing skins and have a constant 1/32" gap between my tank skins and top main skins.

1. Are these distances "in the ballpark"? I'd like the tank skin to be a little closer (like the leading edge is), but it is constant and the wing is both twist free and the spar is "fishing-line" level. Any thoughts? Are others finding the gaps to be narrower or greater?

2. Given there is inevitably some distance where these skins butt together, should the spar beneath it, since 1/64" to 1/32" of it is exposed to weather, be primed over the anodizing? At least, would it be prudent to do so?

Just FYI--the gap between my tanks and my leading edge is almost NOTHING! Van's really does a good job in matching things up!

Steve

Steve: I'd say my numbers are exactly the same. I was concerned about it for a couple of minutes and then didn't care anymore. ;) I figured maybe there'd be some expansion and the very, very small gap would allow it. If I were more anal, I'd probably figure out something. But I also deburred the skin edges pretty good too and maybe that had something to do with it. I AM anal on deburring skin edges and don't allow any marks on all on edges.

So, now that it's all together, how often do you go out to the garage late at night...just to look?

That's my favorite part of building. Late at night. Everyone's asleep. OK, I admit it. I talk to the plane.

Bob Collins said:
So, now that it's all together, how often do you go out to the garage late at night...just to look?

That's my favorite part of building. Late at night. Everyone's asleep. OK, I admit it. I talk to the plane.

No, I've NEVER done that! First that big wing skeleton, then the skeleton with skins, then leading edge on, then leading edge with tank. Each of those times I just thought, "man, this really looks like a plane!" It's also the point where I knew, without a doubt, that I would one day finish and fly it. Isn't it great! I haven't talked to it yet, but maybe that's just because I don't talk all that much!

Thanks for confirming my numbers on the gap.

Steve

Gap

I had zero gap between my top skins and the tank/leading edge. However, when I temporarily attached my bottom skins to drill the flap angle brackets, I noticed a 1/64"-ish gap between the outer bottom skin and the leading edge. Its probably due to the fact the skin wasn't fully clecoed and stretched.
Nothing to worry about,
Steve

Back