What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intercom wiring

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Am now wiring the SL-30 to the PM3000 intercom and after reading the various threads here I have a couple of quick questions:
1. Looking at the PM3000 wiring diagram it looks like all the grounds and shields have to go to pin 1, this is a lot of wires for one pin, can I run the grounds from the SL-30 to the firewall ground block where I have all the other grounds connected and run pin 1 on the PM3000 to the same block?
2. The PM3000 manual says you must install aux jacks and shows them as connected to the main radio (SL-30), do I run the wires from the SL-30 to the PS3000 DB connector and from there to the jacks or from the SL-30 to the jacks and from there to the PM3000 (or does it matter?). This includes the A/C radio PTT connection and I am not sure how the stick mounted PTT would function if the PM3000 died and you plugged into these jacks (is this covered by the fail-safe design i.e hard wired)

Intercom Wiring

Dave,

I was hoping you'd get some responses to this as I'm putting in close to the exact same setup (SL-60 instead of SL-30) and have the exact same questions! Especially about the Aux Jacks.

... Bill

Am now wiring the SL-30 to the PM3000 intercom....
Being electronically challenged, when I looked at the wiring diagram included with the PM1000 I purchased from Spruce, I thought no way was I going to do it so I sent the included wiring hardware to Stein and they made up a beautiful harness to greatly simplify the intercom installation with the SL-30 and I KNOW the job was done right.

Comments...

Am now wiring the SL-30 to the PM3000 intercom and after reading the various threads here I have a couple of quick questions:
1. Looking at the PM3000 wiring diagram it looks like all the grounds and shields have to go to pin 1, this is a lot of wires for one pin, can I run the grounds from the SL-30 to the firewall ground block where I have all the other grounds connected and run pin 1 on the PM3000 to the same block?
2. The PM3000 manual says you must install aux jacks and shows them as connected to the main radio (SL-30), do I run the wires from the SL-30 to the PS3000 DB connector and from there to the jacks or from the SL-30 to the jacks and from there to the PM3000 (or does it matter?). This includes the A/C radio PTT connection and I am not sure how the stick mounted PTT would function if the PM3000 died and you plugged into these jacks (is this covered by the fail-safe design i.e hard wired)

Mike...

1. Grounds can be critical... I would follow what the manufacturer suggests...

Aeroelectric Bob has a suggestion that should work well...

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/pigtail/pigtail.html

This involves pigtails from one shield to the next...

2. Looking at the PM3000 wiring diagram.

http://www.ps-engineering.com/docs/PM3000_11931wiring.pdf

Having a back-up microphone plugged into the aux jack would not disable your stick mounted PTT.

However, for ultimate back up purposes (e.g., a broken wire to the stick PTT button) a separate PTT device might be good. Another idea might be to run two completely separate wires directly from the intercom aux jack to both PTT switches if this failure mode concerns you.

Typically, the failure mode for a dead/off intercom is "jacks connected to comm #1".

gil A

Updated info

I talked to PS Engineering directly today and received the following info:
1. Yes all ground/lo go to pin 1, need to use the pigtail technique described above to daisy chain the grounds with the wires looped outside the shell.
2. On my SL-30 harness the shields are cut off at the intercom end and have covers, obviously connected at the SL-30 end. This is not a problem as the main concern is that the shields for the mic and phone jacks are terminated at the intercom end not the jack end.
3. With respect to aux jacks,they are hard wired to intercom and radio and the PTT is a hard wired pass though the intercom. I suspect it will be easier to have two wires soldered to the jacks rather than two wires in the DB25 pin.

No Need....I'll share as to not make my customers uncomfortable!

Typical intercom/audio panel wiring harnesses by us (and most shops) run anywhere from $150-$450 depending on a few variables (intercom type, lengths of wire, whether connectors were supplied, interconnections/interfaces, #of audio inputs, whether it gets connected to a radio, stereo/mono, etc..).

That should give you a general idea. Might seem like a lot until you actually figure out the labor & materials it takes to do it.

Cheers,
Stein

Back